close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My New Tactical Shotgun!

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by 280Z, Oct 9, 2011.

1. 280Z

280Z

So I have been looking for a short barreled shotgun to have around. I already have a 870 express turkey gun so I just figured I would pickup another 870 with the 18.5 barrel and then throw on a magazine extender and a flashlight and call it good.

I finally found a store that had a few different offerings, the expensive one with the ghost ring sights, and a basic. Both of them were priced kinda high and did not pullup on target as I hoped they would. Looking over I saw a Mossberg 500. I have never been impressed with the fit and finish or the smoothness of the action but hey I'm here so I picked it up. Wow, it pulled up on target better then the 870's had! Then I spotted a used one on a rack in the corner. It looked to be in very good shape and the action was smoother then the new one. It followed me home!

I was pretty surprised to walk into a store not liking Mossbergs at all and then walking out with one under my arm!

500 20" 8 shot:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I am looking into light mounts for it as it doesn't need the mag extension....

2. dooga

dooga 5 year in with Glocks

I love my stock Remongton 870P with wooden stock and pump. I have a 28" trap barrel with a modified choke aftermarket on it now but the shorter barrel is fierce.

3. bac1023

bac1023

4. piccopower

piccopower still a noob :(

I guess.....you went looking for a 18.5 and brought home a 20......pretty good for not caring for the mossy......nice job.

5. jamaicanj

jamaicanj

6. 280Z

280Z

Lol, I think the look of the one piece magazine tube along with the price and smoothness of the action all played a part in choosing it over the new 18.5.

It never seems to go empty compared to my stock 870. It is fun to shoot!

7. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

Since when is 20s tactical? You get that for your sister or your Mom?.....

Just hacking on ya! Mossbergs can be real nice and nothing wrong with at 20 gauge :D

8. Victoriagotagun

Victoriagotagun

The OP is talking about a Mossberg 500 with a 20" barrel in 12ga not a 20 gauge. :rofl:

9. fodder1

fodder1 Just a Member

Very nice buy. I have an 870, but have always liked the safety placement on the Mossy. I think you'll be happy with it. Make sure to give us a range report.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  10. byf43

byf43 NRA Endowment Life Member

:rofl:

Don't think a 20 ga can be "Tactical"??
    To paraphrase the instructor (and change it to 20 ga) in the concealed carry 'class', regarding his .380 acp, that the young guy questioned -

"Why don't you stand over there, and let me shoot you with this 20 ga., and see how well you like it?"

To the OP: If the Mossberg meets your expectations and needs. . . congrats!!

11. DHSGMAN

DHSGMAN Combat Veteran

Why call it Tactical? The word is so over used that it makes anyone sound like an airsofter anymore. Come' on fellas.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  12. Metro566

Metro566 Gunfighter

I carried a Mossberg 500 in my squad for like 6yrs, loved it.

I also love the Remington 870. Different strokes for different folks. You have a nice looking Mossberg; enjoy it. It has many different uses beyond just standard home defense.

13. 280Z

280Z

Tell ya what, tell me what you want me to call my new shotgun and I will go with that.:supergrin:

I bought for a toy to shoot buckshot out of for fun. I also plan on putting a flashlight on it for raccoons.

I don't know if I have ever heard of one not functioning, they just aren't as smooth as the 870.

I am a little limited on putting different barrels on it unless I change out the magazine tube. but I have other shotguns for different tasks so I feel I have my bases covered.

14. DHSGMAN

DHSGMAN Combat Veteran

How about Shotgun.:shocked::poke:

15. sns3guppy

sns3guppy

Tactical is not what it is. It's what you do with it.

16. RedneckRampage

RedneckRampage

I know this is my first post, but DHSGMAN, in your signiture, it says "Tactical Shotgun"...kinda ironic.

17. ScrappyDoo

ScrappyDoo Tacticool brah!

you did absolutely great-I Know Rem 870's are a classic item of history, and I could LIVE with one, I don't care for it. One of the only 870's I've liked enough to buy, was very expensive. I handled an Express Synthetic 7-round. On Rem.com they're listed at $399, Dick's was going to hook me for like $345- but it's a bead sight- I just can't be satisfied with a bead sight [ I don't wish to argue with those that say combat shotguns should ONLY have a bead, and not a Ghost Ring Sight nor optic, but I need at the LEAST a rail to mount an Aimpoint, really want the Ghost Rings]= so anyway I liked this one, could not like it enough to own it; the Express Tactical was nice, I liked it... Would have bought it as a backup to my M930SPX... but, it was over $500... I asked the guy, any better price, it's an 870 with Ghost Rings, he says, its got the XS sights and a 2 shot extension..and a little muzzle device ohh! The Express Tactical Grey is REALLY nice looking, I love gunmetal grey color on firearms especially shotguns... but again, goes back to bead sights (If I'm going to go for a "Grey shotgun" I'll go get the M590A1 I should have bought a year ago and been done with it)...

but I would be perfectly happy with a plain Jane Mossberg 500 if it was my only weapon. But there are so many options with Mossberg's , you can get just so many Tacticool accessories!!!! :banana: and for the price, you can get plain Jane M500's that will blast away whatever you need blasted and they'll blast till your grandkids are blastin.!

18. GAFinch

GAFinch

Looks great, I used to have one but had to sell it off at one point.

It's not a 26" hunting shotgun. Both an 18 or 20" barrel and an extended magazine can provide tactical advantages when engaged in a firefight indoors, hence his use of the term tactical shotgun. It is what this sub-forum is called after all. There is a separate hunting shotgun forum in the gun clubs section.

19. Dasglockenspiel

Dasglockenspiel

Congratulations!

I have a 20" persuader, with collapsable stock. Wife has similar one in 20 Ga.

Very simple and reliable.

Dasglockenspiel

20. Scattergun1187

Scattergun1187 Vote Republican