Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so not really a review but showing some targets. :cool:

I wanted a target rifle because my shoulder is shot and not allowing me to target shoot with my handguns much anymore. My arms shake really bad now.
I love my Marlin .22 magnum, it's my favorite rifle because it's cheap to shoot, feels like a "real" rifle compared to my Marlin model 60's, and is ridiculously accurate. Cant beat $70 for a brick of 500!

But I wanted a little more ooomph, but not much, My shoulder cant take recoil.
So I got this savage edge in .223.
It costs a whopping $349 with the bushell scope installed. I got the camo.
I took it out and cant say enough, I am really impressed. It will shoot 1 inch groups all day, never any bigger, and sometimes much less.
(If I do my part of course)
As this target shows. A clean 1/2 inch center to center 4 shot group shooting Fiocchi Vmax 40 grainers at 3600 FPS. at a measured 100 yard range course.

I can't say enough about a cheap rifle doing this. Sure there is no accutrigger, but if I can shoot a 1 inch OR BETTER group, is an accutrigger necessary? Really?
The trigger is a crisp 5 pounds and is all I need.
The only drawback I see is the finish is a cheap blue that looks like a nitride finish, and the magazine release is made of plastic.
Besides that, fellows, this rifle is steal and I highly recommend it if you are wanting to target shoot.
I chose .223 due to low ammo cost.
Even Golden bear ammo will group an inch.
Also Long after all the guys at the range have shot their 40 rounds of .308 or 30-06 and are tired of it, I am still having fun blasting away.
I give it a gatorhugger stamp of approval!
Give it a try.

·
Registered
32,966 Posts
Nothing wrong with what you got, nor with how it shoots.

I've got a .308 10FP with the accu-trigger. The nice thing is in being able to adust it to where you want it. But if the factory setting is already where you want your gun, then you are fine :)

I've also got an Interarms Mark X in .223. So, I love the .223 bolt action. Light, easy to operate, accurate. A good round for target shooting and woodchucks :)

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have really been getting into the .22 calibers the older I get.
The .22 magnum, love it in bolt action. What a fun gun to shoot.
Now with this Savage edge in .223 I am having a blast, cheap to buy, cheap to
shoot, and the recoil doesn't loosen my fillings!
Someday I might get a nice scope for it, because the Bushnell isn't exactly crisp on
9 power, but for now I really like the gun and setup.
Too bad I don't really have varmints here, but for targets it's great.

·
Registered
32,966 Posts
Yeah, scopes you can spend 4x as much as the gun :rofl:

Best scope I ever had was a 6.5-20 x 50 Leupold. It was on my Rem 700 6mm bull barrel. That rig was heavy. Too heavy for a walk in the fields. So, years ago, when I needed money for college I sold it (sort of regret that, but whatcha gonna do). Kept the .223, as that was what I was using for the woodchucks.

I love the .22mag. I've got a Ruger 9622mag. It is a lever action carbine. Looks similar to the 10/22, and has a similar detachable 9 shot rotary mag. Surprisingly accurate, like 1.5" at 100 yards (gun might even be more accurate, but that's what I get out of it). They are not common. But they were made in .22LR, .22mag, and .17 hornady. I'd recommend that style gun to anyone. Very slick action, always reliable.

My brother bought a .223 Savage 110 bolt-action a couple years ago. I shot it last year, but I can't remember if it had the acu-trigger. I do remember it shooting nice. The .223 is such a great round out of a bolt-action.

FYI, I'm not saying the .223 is bad in a semi-auto, but for homeland defense I personally go for the AK in 7.62x39. An AR 15 in .223 has just never made it up high on my priority list. Probably because it will be heavier and less accurate than my .223 bolt-action, and too light for deer, since I've already got .308 and .30-06.

My point, as scattered brain as this post is, is that a .223 bolt action is a sweet highly useful gun :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts