close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My new P30 was test fired.... THREE YEARS AGO?!

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by cowboy1964, Sep 21, 2011.

1. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

The label on the envelope containing the test case is dated 9/2008. Also it says it's a V3 but is actually a V2. The gun looks new and everything so this is just strange. Maybe it was converted to V2 post-production but that would require a new frame to eliminate the decocker cutout. It just doesn't make sense.

(serial number on the envelope does match the three serial numbers on the gun (upper, lower, and barrel)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  2. bac1023

bac1023

3. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

Very strange. Thankfully guns aren't like cars and don't typically have model years or massive depreciation. I think most likely the gun is new, but old stock. As for the different V number, I though the P30 trigger type was easily changed without having to do major modifications(including new frame)?

4. DRGNSLR

DRGNSLR

There's your answer. If my test fire envelop serial numbers did not match the gun serial number I would be very suspicious as to whether or not the spent shells were ever in the gun.

Do things every get crossed-up or mis-matched in a gun store? Sure they do - I once bought a FN PS-90 with one serial number engraved on the receiver and a different serial number on a pull off sticker affixed to the stock. Of course the FFL used the sticker serial number for the purchase and i didn't note the difference until i stripped the gun for cleaning. Went back to the GS and the FFL tried to tell me that my number was good but the store owner intervened and said no, the engraved number on the receiver was "the" number (I knew that :faint:). Anyway, 30-45 minutes later, after a call to FN, some type of error correction to the fed paperwork, and multiple notarized affidavits as to the correct serial # I walked out with the correct receiver as recorded.

5. Jackalo626

Jackalo626

6. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

Sounds like your pistol was in storage for a while before being sold.

Not uncommon.

:cool:

7. carloglock19

carloglock19

I had that happen with one of my handguns as well, purchased new this year but test fired in 2008. So my assumption that it was in storage for a while seems to be correct.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

8. 12131

12131 Monkeyboy CLM

As long as it's not been fired outside the factory, yeah, it's still new.
    A NIB Colt Python from years ago that has not been fired is still new.

9. HotRoderX

HotRoderX Gen4 BETATester

Might have been a gun that was shuffled into the back of the warehouse and forgotten. Anything I think I be happy to get a older gun with the way the economy is ever one is cutting corners it seems.

10. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

HKs with the LEM trigger don't have the decocker button and there is no cutout in the frame for it. V2/V4 are LEM versions, V3 is the DA/SA version. You CAN convert a V3 to LEM but the cutout will remain.

I'm thinking the V3 label on the envelope could just be a mistake. I may just call HK and see if they can tell me what's up with this. Not a big deal, gun looks and works great, it's just very curious.

Three years is a LONG time for new-old stock for a semi-popular handgun.

Also I'll add: just ordered a magazine and the witness holes are different from the two that came with the gun. The two that came with have holes for even rounds only (starting with 4). The new one has holes for every round (starting with 4). Apparently HK changed this around 2009. So that kind of validates that the gun is in fact probably from before that.

11. nastytrigger

nastytrigger Mediocre Member

Is a 1945 made, vacuum sealed, U.S. Gov Remington Rand 1911 still new when opened?

Just thought of that. Wouldn't some parts need changed (example: springs)?

12. HotRoderX

Yes they still be NIB and they be worth a small fortune I would assume. I don't see why the springs are any part would need to be changed. Vacuum sealing them would stop corrosion.

13. nastytrigger

The Sheriff of the county north of me bought (actually on loan) 50 sealed 1911's through a gov program for his department. Article was in SWAT magazine couple years ago.

They have Colt's, Springer's, Remington Rand's, and Ithaca's. Installed Novak's, new springs, trigger, beavertail grip safety, new thumb safety, and re-blued. Some they put Dawson rails on.

Just thought, how 'old' does a gun have to be to not be considered 'new' if unfired and sealed.

14. Minnow

Minnow

The variant # on the envelope that contains the spent casings doesn't match, but the serial number matches. Clerical error by H&K.

Does the serial number and model number on the box match the gun? If it does, whats your worst fear? Are you implying that you may have purchased a used gun that was sold as new, or just concerned about the production date of your new gun?
    Sometimes guns sit in stock for a while, either with distributors or with dealers. It's more likely that the P30 V2 is simply not a hot item in your area.

:wavey:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  15. HotRoderX

:shocked: wonder if he realized he could have just solid them and bought everyone in the department anything they wanted.

16. AZ Jeff

AZ Jeff

No swingin' fecal material. He took collectable firearms and trashed them due to ignorance. There are LOTS of guys who would pay top dollar for US Mil "unissued" firearms, and that cash could buy some pretty nice current production "operator grade" state-of-the-art hardware.

17. Glock40man

Glock40man

My LGS had some NIB G21s that were test fired three years ago. The owner couldn't believe it either.

18. nastytrigger

I did hear they joked looking for a US Switch and Signal, but the Defense Reutilization and Marketing Office would not let them trade nor sell them since they're still government property on loan.

Same department has gov M16s, M14s, and an armored vehicle (SWAT) from the same program.

They didn't pay for anything besides the upgrades to the weapons. These are just surplus.

Not sure what'll happen to them in the future. Hopefully they won't be returned and scrapped...

19. 12131

12131 Monkeyboy CLM

Why would parts need changed, when none of them has been used?

20. nastytrigger

The Boone Co. Sheriff Department that received them did the recoil spring, firing pin spring, and other internal parts (besides sights, trigger, and grip safety). That's what the article in SWAT Magazine says. It was in a 2008 issue.