close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My new Glock sights are OFF...ever happen to you??

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Chikan, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Chikan

Chikan Basturmator!

I'm just looking for constructive advice here, and yes...I know I can have them changed at the shop.

My new Glock 19's rear site is too far right. To compensate for this, I'm forced to place the front site to the extreme left of the back two when aiming. The reason I've discovered this is because our local (public) range has pistol targets at a distance of 25 yds ONLY. Yes, it sucks.

That, and upon examination (sight alignment) you can actually SEE that the rear sight is off center.

It's not much of a problem, as this gun will never be used for target/competitive shooting, nor will it ever be carried. I keep it for HD, and nothing more.

This same situation happened with a new Sig I bought a few years back. Same problem, but the rear sight was too far left, instead.

Has this ever happened to anyone? I hate the Glock sights and planned to change them, anyway, but I'm still surprised that considering the amount we spend for these "high end" firearms, they still come from the factory in such piss-poor conditions.

Ah, I'm just ranting. I'll have the sights changed soon.

Chikan

2. St3ve T

St3ve T DawgCavIndian

3. Chikan

Chikan Basturmator!

Sorry, my digital cam isn't working right now. I think the battery's dead, but I'll check again. It'd be difficult to see, however, unless I could focus down the length of the slide. I'll try it.

Chikan

4. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Are you left handed?

Was the pistol new when you purchased it?

The rear sight can be drifted to the left.

5. Reyn

Reyn Times Up

Are you saying they are off because your groups are way off or are you saying its off because when you look at the sight you can plainly see the sight isnt centered in the slide?

6. Chikan

Chikan Basturmator!

I'm saying the latter...that when you look at the slide you can plainly see that the rear sight is slightly too far right. I have this very same problem with my Sig, although in that case the rear sight is too far left.

I'm wondering if this is a common thing?

Chikan

7. afnola

afnola

My 19 bought about 2 months ago seems to have the same problem. Visually looking at the rear sight it looks like it is too far to the right. However, it shoots perfect.

8. Reyn

Reyn Times Up

Chikan,i havent experienced it with my Glocks. Just drift it over until you can get some new sights.I plan on putting some Warren or Heinies on mine soon.

9. vafish

vafish

It's not very common in my experience of buying guns.

But it is very easy to fix.

Just get yourself a small nylon or brass punch and a little hammer, unload your gun, place the punch on the side of the sight and gently tap it until it moves in the direction you need.

10. NOTV8

NOTV8 Glock-a-holic

My G21 rear sight is a little to the left... I did not bother to adjust it because if it come that way there must be a reason to it. I shoot low to the right but I know that it is because of my grip but starting to get better. Just need to do more practice practice and more practice.

G21
    G30 soon
    G36 later

11. Blue Duck

Blue Duck Just this guy

There is enough manufacturing tolerence in all guns that it would be perfectly normal for the factory to shift the sights a bit left or right to get it squared away for most people. You want your sights centered so that that they hit where you shoot with your load, not so that they are perfectly centered on the slide.

Now as for the ever present "My gun shots too high low, left, right" thing. 90+% of the time that is a shooters problem that with proper grip and trigger pull will corect itself.

However everyone does shoot a bit different, my perfect zero will most likely not be yours. Different loads even hit different places, even to the left and right of eachother, not just elevation.

Moving the sights to get a perfect zero has just gotten a bit of a bad rep especially on this board lately as novice shooters who can't shoot consistently enough to properly zero a gun chase groups around the paper fiddling with thier sights when the real problem is flinching or poor grip and trigger pull issues.

12. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

Yours is not the first thread to crop up with this problem. I am not surprised at all that a manufacture would let slip a gun with sights needing adjustment. As Vafish has pointed out,aligning sights is one of the most basic tasks a gun owner can and should learn to do.
    If you don't want to invest in a brass punch, you can even use an unsharpened pencil or wooden dowel with a hammer or the sole of your shoe if you don't own a hammer.

Good luck, tell us how it turns out!

13. biscuit jake

biscuit jake

I don't know from your post how much experience you have. Are you right or left eye dominant? It makes a big difference to me if I shoot with my non-dominant eye.

14. chicane

chicane

We bought 2 G27's at the same time from a local range. My wifes was perfect. Mine shot wayyyyyy off. I started looking it over, and noticed the rear sight was drifted really far to the right, Nearly off the slide. I pulled out my screwdriver and used the plastic handle and the range bench to get it back in the middle. After that, Right down the middle. I talked with some people, and they agree that this is common. If I were you I would drift the rear sight right back to the middle and call it done.

15. SNH Glocks

SNH Glocks

My 29 had the rear sight about 1/8" right of center
    when I bought it new. A wooden dowel and a few taps with a mallet and all was well. Gun now shoots to point of aim.

16. remat

remat

+1; good post

17. Chikan

Chikan Basturmator!

Thanks a lot, everyone, for the responses. Very much appreciated.

Someone mentioned that perhaps it was inexperience leading to the off-center shooting. I'd like to think that I'm pretty experienced, but I don't kid myself at all. I'm a decent shot at best.

However, I KNOW it's a sight issue because a friend of mine has the exact same model Glock (with aftermarket night sights installed) and I can hit nearly dead center at 25 yds with it. When he switches to my gun, he, too, starts shooting off-center.

I was a bit worried about manually/physically moving the rear sight with a small hammer and such, but if it's been done by enough members of GT then I'll give it a try.

Thanks again.

Chikan

18. hankhan

hankhan Guest

Yes. My G19 has the rear sight almost falling out of the dovetail.

19. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

That method works, but is the worst one to use.

Here's a method virtually identical to using a rear sight pusher without spending a dime on one.

1) wrap leather or fabric around slide an rear sight
    2) open channel lock pliers up wide enough to fit slide between jaws
    3) put one side of jaws on side of rear sight, other side of jaws on side of slide
    4) squeeze gently, checking after every squeeze until rear sight is where you want it

You can install a rear sight and center it in about 45 seconds this way...without banging on the gun and the risk of cracking a tritium vial on night sights.

20. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

There's no guarantee that the rear sight will be centered and still hit where it looks.
    All that said, you should be able to get a zero w/o moving the rear sight TOO far; mebbe to one edge of the slide, max.

Moon