Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, today I bought a Glock 19 Gen4, and the first thing I noticed was that it has the slicker looking black slide finish on it that the Gen3's had. I also noticed that the test fire date was in July of 2010 and it came with the number 3 spring. I will post pics and have a range report after I go.

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Congrats! Of the two finishes I have, the dark/shiny one is my favorite. It seems to hold up to wear much better too. The other one I have is the rough/matte black finish, it's ok but it has a lower round count and it's already wearing away where the slide stop catches and at the muzzle end where the barrel slides through.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BTW, this is my second Glock, I also have a G23 Gen4. I also called Glock and had them mail me an 04 spring just in case. Anyway, here is the pic, you might not be able to tell very well in the pic, but just trust me....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Nice. You will be much happier with the old black finish. Good eye. The g19 is the best all around combat handgun on the market today, and the most popular. You will love it.

·
Glock Sportsman
1,363 Posts
You got one that was resting somewhere for awhile, congrats and just enjoy the Glock feeling.

·
clever quip
1,165 Posts
I think its funny how people call it "the old black finish"

I had 2 Glocks, both test fired within the same 2 week span, and one was shiny black, the other was dull flatter black.

Both of them were gen3's making them "older" than a gen4, yet one of the "older" gen3's doesnt have the "old shiny black finish"

It makes no sense to call one old and the other new, as Glock clearly has gone back an forth at least once.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Ok, today I bought a Glock 19 Gen4, and the first thing I noticed was that it has the slicker looking black slide finish on it that the Gen3's had. I also noticed that the test fire date was in July of 2010 and it came with the number 3 spring. I will post pics and have a range report after I go.
You are one lucky fellow, go play the lottery :pepper:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
My gen 4 has the slick blacker finish too. From looking around at shops, I can tell that the matte finish shows imperfections a lot easier. I'm happy with mine.

·
Registered
466 Posts
yeah I like the darker finish much more. my rtf2 19 and rtf2 23 both have the darker while my 4th gen 26 has grey. the grey always looks kinda inconsistent and needs to have a little oil on it to look good.

·
417 Posts
I'm picking up a G27 with a born on date of June 2010. From what I gather it SHOULD have the shiney black finish. I hope so as I like it better but I'll report back and let you guys know. I'm trying to figure out when Glock started changing the finish on the G 27's. I'm hoping they were the last ones they changed over.

Does anyone know for sure when Glock changed over to the matte gray finish on the 27's?

I called Glock today and they don't even know when this happened. But the service tech said that ALL the shiney black slide were done in Austria and the new matte slides are either done in Austria and some are done here in the US.

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Does anyone know for sure when Glock changed over to the matte gray finish on the 27's?
They've been using three different finishes within the past year. One is the matte rough black, another is the smooth shiny black, another is a somewhat smooth grey that's most commonly seen on Gen4's.

I have not seen the matte rough black on Gen4's, but otherwise the three finishes seem to be used somewhat randomly on all recent production guns.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I also just picked up a gen 4 g19 and gen 4 g23. The 19 has that dark black slick finish and the 23 has the grey matte finish. The black ill say looks much slicker and seems harder wearing in the holster. No signs of holster wear as much compared to my gen 4 27 with the matte. ( dont really carry the g23)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts