close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My new Digital Camera

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by MNGLOCK, Aug 24, 2004.

1. MNGLOCK

MNGLOCK

Well I finally made the plunge. Purchased the Nikon Coolpix 8700. This is my first digital camera. Years ago did a lot with the 35mm, but this is a new experience. Trying to take my time and doing alot a reading from sites listed in this forum. Tried some pics in the auto mode and will try to install software today to look at them. As of now thinking I will load them on my VIO laptop, download to a CD and install on my VIO desktop which has Photoshop and connected to a printer. Does this sound possible? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. unit 900

unit 900

You might want to invest <$20 on a memory card reader. You can get one that handles most media formats. You can leave it plugged into a USB port on your home machine with PS. Just pop in the memory card and load your pics to the computer. No neded for CD's until you are ready to archive. THe laptop would be a great asset on vacation where you might want to free up your memory card by uploading to the pc and erasing the card. Good luck!

3. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

I always thought the hot ticket for vacation would be the card reader than they make for the IPOD. As you went through your trip you could sacrafice the songs you dont like that much for picture space.

4. MNGLOCK

MNGLOCK

Thanks for all the info. I was wondering since my Vaio computers both have the memory stick port right on the front, if it would be possible to get a reader that plugs into these, but uses the CF format. This was a big stumbling block in finding the camera that I wanted, because I wanted one that used the Memory Stick. After all the research, I decided not to buy the Sony 828 and go with the 8700 Nikon. I dont think this is a major issue now that I just love the 8700. I do want to make it as user friendly as possible. When I bought it I was told that this technology was available, but they were out of stock. Now after searching for one, I cant find it. If not available, the USB port will certainly be acceptable.

5. Bdnbrck

Bdnbrck

For the Laptop...

There are also PCMCIA adapters for memory cards. If you dont want to have something seperate to mess with like a USB reader. I dont use my PCMCIA slot for anything, so the card stays in all the time, and it the next best thign to having a built in slot.

For example...

http://www.mittoni.com.au/catalog/default.php/cPath/27

6. podwich

podwich

Maybe I'm just being dense here, but why do you want to download the pics to your laptop, burn to cd, then copy to the desktop? Why not just put them on the desktop in the first place?

7. MNGLOCK

MNGLOCK

Pod, I'm not quite sure why I would want to do that, probably wont. Seems like there are quite a few possibilities and options. This is all new to me and probably came up with a bad idea. I might even have a few more before I get a handle on this concept. I am not a computer person or a digital camera person. Just a guy that has both and trying to figure how to best get them together.

8. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

What unit said. I have a card reader and its easy as hell to use. It show up like another drive on your computer and you just dump the files on your HD and look at them.:)

9. podwich

podwich

Okey dokey. You could buy a memory card reader and get the pics off the camera that way, or you could just use the USB cable that comes with almost every camera nowadays and plug it right into the computer. The reader would have the advantage of not using camera power, the cable would have the advantage of not having to remove the card.

As for printing pictures: you could use your home printer (though typical inkjets won't produce the typical prints you'd expect from film pictures) or you could get them printed professionally. Heck, even Walmart prints digital pictures-with a decent resolution, they look just like film prints. You can send the files in over the web or you can just take your memory card into Walmart with you and get them printed there. I think it's somewhere around 25 cents a print.