My new carry gun: P01

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by -JCN-, Sep 13, 2019 at 9:08 PM.

1. -JCN-

-JCN-

Since I’m spending so much time with my CZs for gaming and competition practice, it makes sense to my hands and brain to have a carry gun with the same manual of arms. I just don’t have the time to devote splitting my focus between different guns, even though historically I have been able to do so. I just don’t want to at this point!

So my P01 came back from milling and a little bit of spring work with the same optic that I use for competition.

It’s set up similarly to my competition guns except with stiffer springs and zeroed to full power ammunition.

36496D59-1576-473D-856A-020E58D33548.jpeg

Compared to my competition guns. 61A896AF-8E77-425C-A8F1-0B5FF33F7872.jpeg

I went to the range and compared to some of my other carry choices and there was no contest. The P01 performed better in my hands because it matches my current “minds eye” and muscle memory.

Very happy with the way it shoots and the Hidden Hybrid holster is super comfy. It wasn’t originally cut for an RDS, but a few minutes with a Dremel fixed that right up! :D

2. pgg00

pgg00

Which optic are you using?

-JCN- likes this.

3. bac1023

bac1023

Very nice

The optic on a carry gun is certainly not for me, but to each their own.

Glock40man, kjphilippona and -JCN- like this.
  4. -JCN-

-JCN-

A Leupold Deltapoint 7.5 MOA triangle. It’s not my favorite optic, but that’s what I have on my competition gun.

This won’t be my long term carry, but until I get up to speed in USPSA, that’s my focus.

For an actual long term carry, I think the RMR still has the best auto light adjustment and the best known durability. I’d also have backup iron sights and practice with and without the optic.

I love my G19.5 MOS with Holosun 507c and my G32 set up and milled the same way.

But right now I’m trying to stay focused through the end of the season.

pgg00 likes this.
  5. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

Wow, I have the 2.5 DPP on my dot gun. May have to play with this at some point...

-JCN- likes this.
  6. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Nice gun and nice holster.

So you are going DA first shot with your carry gun? Do you thumb a safety too?

-JCN- likes this.
  7. -JCN-

-JCN-

DA first shot, safety not used. Just like the competition guns (as per Carry Optics and Production rule sets).

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  8. DrewBone

DrewBone

-JCN- nice rig! May I ask which firm did the machine work for you?

9. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

Rhetorically, have you quantified that yet?

Are you ok with B or C class (which is still better than the average guy) or are you ultra-competitive and need to be a GM to be up to speed?

10. -JCN-

-JCN-

Primary Machine. Great turnaround and great quality.

I know it is different for everyone. Me personally, I started this Summer and am at a solid B level at matches and on classifiers.

For local matches that is “respectable / pretty good.”

I’m practicing weak hand, magazine changes and draws and think that might get me to “A” level for classifiers.

Then with match practice and drills up to “A” speed in the future, hopefully.

I’m totally good with “A” level performances. I’m not that interested in working harder to get better than that as a goal. If it happens, great.

11. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

To be apples/apples solid, you probably need to about double your gross ability between classes.

And the percentage you can shoot on demand, ultimate percentage you can shoot, percentage you can shoot on different standards and how you actually shoot in matches are all different things, with relationships that vary between different shooters.

Then there's the fact that some people are re-shooting classifiers 10x at their local club matches, whereas others haven't shot a classifier for 10 years, because they only shoot majors...