My new AR9 pistol

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Schrag4, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Schrag4

Schrag4

I've mentioned on this board before that I really like the idea of an AR in 9mm. Recently I got the opportunity to make that happen, and I decided to build it as an AR pistol. I bought a stripped lower from PSA, one that takes Glock mags. It does not have LRBHO, although I understand PSA does sell a Glock lower that does. It's not a big deal, though, as this is just a range toy until I can prove its reliability beyond a shadow of a doubt.

I know there are quite a few offerings out there in the 9mm AR world, and a wide variety of prices to go with them. I didn't want to spend a ton of money, and I ended up getting a pistol kit from Karri's Guns. Those come with 8.3 inch barrels, which is at the very top end of how long I wanted the barrel to be. You don't really gain much in terms of velocity with faster burning powders beyond about 8 inches, so what's the point of going longer?

Once I got the kit, I put together the lower. I ordered some inexpensive aluminum flip-up irons from Amazon - again, this is a range toy for now, and I'll get better sights if its role ever changes. I was on the fence about which optic to get for it, but now I've convinced myself that a Bushnell TRS-25 will go on it. (I'm not dropping $400 for an Aimpoint for a range toy - if you want to, more power to you.) In the meantime I've moved a Primary Arms red dot from one of my other AR15s, and it works quite nicely, if it is a bit big.

The first couple of times I got it out to some private property to zero optics and irons was a bit disappointing. On the first range session, the batteries on the red dot went out after a few shots. I've had the optic for about 4 years, so I guess it was time. I had to shoot with irons, which is fine, but I couldn't adjust the front sight because I didn't have the tool. What was really discouraging, though, is that I found that this thing does not feed reloads with my cast bullets. It seemed to work OK with Winchester white box 115gr ammo, although I did experience one failure to feed.

On the second outing, I decided to put a 1x-4x scope on it and try some different ammo from a bit further away (maybe 30 yards). I had loaded up some more of my cast bullets a bit longer because it seemed like they might feed better that way, but no luck. I also tried some other plated bullets that I had loaded a couple of years ago, and they weren't much better. WWB still ran good, although another brand of ammo (RAM, local stuff that the indoor range sells) didn't fare so well. At this point, I was getting really discouraged. Did I get a lemon?

By the 3rd outing, I had replaced the batteries on the red dot, and I brought my 8yo daughter to help me test it out. Once I got the optic zeroed, I set her up from success, shooting from about 12 yards with the gun on a bipod. No, she was not shouldering the gun, although I put my hand on her shoulder to make sure it wouldn't strike her when recoiling. WWB came through again, but so did some old FMJs that I loaded probably 4 years ago, although I only shot 10 rounds of those reloads. There were no failures in this outing, and I was happy about that, but we didn't exactly go through a lot of ammo.

Well, this morning, a friend had me out to a nice private range he has access to. It got more use today, probably about 100 rounds in total (we were shooting a lot of other stuff, too). There was not a single failure. About half was WWB, and most of the rest was those FMJ reloads. I'm happy that I found something that I can reload that this gun will eat. My friend also brought some subsonic 9mm, and those ran fine, too, which was definitely quieter. I finished up with a couple of rounds of JHP, one each of two different brands. The reason for that test was to give one of those brands one more chance. It failed miserably yet again when shooting into water jugs. I've post about that in a separate thread.

Anyway, I know this isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I've always loved the idea. Now that it seems to be running well, I'm pretty stoked! I may end up sending in the paperwork to SBR this someday, but I'll wait to see how it handles the next thousand rounds or so first.

DSC_0467.JPG

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  2. Brass3

Brass3

That's a good looking piece of work. I want to build my first Pistol as I've finished my first build. Enjoy and happy shooting your new gun.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017

3. steve1911

steve1911

Congrats!

1911club#410

4. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

Congrats.
    I built a carbine with that same lower.
    I always wanted an MP5, they don't have LRBHO.

Built this instead.
    IMG_8085.JPG

There's a few upper receivers that have LRBHO capabilities.

slamdunc, SJ 40 and Brass3 like this.
  5. Brass3

Brass3

That's nice for sure....best of luck with

6. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

I have mixed feelings on pistol mags in carbines, tho' some do seem to work (the Sub 2000 and Beretta Storm among them). Interchangeability is perhaps useful, but we've got a break here to acquire whatever magazines work best.
    A nice build regardless of all that; enjoy!
    Moon

7. Schrag4

Schrag4

What's funny is that I don't have a Glock in 9mm yet. I'll remedy that sooner or later.

8. Schrag4

Schrag4

PSA actually has another Glock-style lower that is advertised to have LRBHO. In fact they're selling blems this weekend for $99.99

I was pretty torn about whether to start it out as a rifle or as a pistol. I definitely see the merits of both. Ultimately I wanted it to be shorter and lighter, at least this time around. Something tells me this won't be my last AR in 9mm. :)

Steel Head likes this.
  9. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

Nor should it be, Shrag. Cheap to feed, great at civilian defense distances, comparatively quiet and easily suppressed, and usable in ranges that don't permit 5.56, easier to reload than bottleneck cartridges.
    Moon

10. BB28

BB28

Quarter Circle 10 debuted a MP5 mag accepting lower at Shot this year. they also paired it with their, hopefully soon to be released, side charging upper. while not an MP5 could be damn close for a fraction of the cost. picture posted is a two stamper but you get the idea.

Ben 16403365_1198996756843093_3728002623506233074_o.jpg

11. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

If I'm gonna use MP5 mags it's gonna be with a MP5.
    Glock mags feed quite well.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    SJ 40 likes this.
  12. Schrag4

Schrag4

Agree on all counts. I couldn't have said it better myself.

halfmoonclip likes this.
  13. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

No experience personally but from the info I've gathered on forums the LRBHO in glock lowers is not more reliable than the upper receiver version.
    Cold pattern lowers being a different case obviously.

I'd like to get a NFA side charger upper receiver with LRBHO eventually.

14. BB28

BB28

that is correct. LRBHO is spotty across the brands for glock lowers. i am considering trying to remove it from my QC10 lower and just run the charging handle each time.

15. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

The Glock pattern lowers have a crap load of extra parts vs the Colt pattern.
    Glock mags belong in Glocks

MO Fugga and halfmoonclip like this.
  16. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

The Colt/Uzi mags are double feed, like an AR mag. There is likely a reason for that.
    Moon

17. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

Better look into trigger pins!

18. pgg00

pgg00

Nice looking piece

19. Schrag4

Schrag4

Thanks!

20. Schrag4

Schrag4

Sorry, please help me out. This flew over my head.