My new 30S question?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by jhc37013, Feb 22, 2013.

1. jhc37013

jhc37013

Ok let me start by saying I took my new 30s to range today first 100rds and no problems, keep in mind I did not practice any trigger resets at the range.

So all went well and now back at home after cleaning I did a quick triggers reset test and it failed to go fully into battery. Here is what it does if I hold the trigger pull the slide back and let it slowly go into battery then it fails but if I let the slide go hard and fast it does fine and the trigger reset goes as normal. Also when I let the slide go slow and it fails if I let pressure off the trigger some the slide will move into full battery.

I don't know if this is normal I thought other 30S owners could chime in or even 36 owners.

So I got my 30SF out and pulled the recoil spring and put it in the 30S and sure enough there is no FTRB no matter how slow or soft I let the slide go forward, I then put the 30S recoil spring in my 30SF and sure enough it does not go fully into battery.

So is it possible the recoil spring is just not broken in enough? I was thinking the opposite and the 30S spring might be to light, this is the newer recoil spring that I think is in all the Gen 4's.

I wish I would have done some trigger resets at the range and I think with the full force of actually shooting it will go completely back into battery.

I'm not stressing it because I know the spring is causing it and also I had no problems at the range it's just I've never had a Glock do this or either I never noticed it before it was broken in enough.

I don't know what to expect with this recoil spring any input would be great.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  2. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

3. jhc37013

jhc37013

Thanks for the reply do you mean normal for a new Glock or normal for the 30s/36?

4. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

For all.

5. BenjiEDF

BenjiEDF

Normal for all new Glocks, don't worry :-D

So how did you like shooting the 30S? Pretty cool gun huh!

6. jhc37013

jhc37013

Yes it was great I really did not feel any difference in recoil between the 30s and 30sf. I can also really feel a difference in carry weight, I know the 30s is only a few ounces lighter but it feels much lighter than that when actually carrying it.

So a new recoil spring will behave this way? Like I said if I drop the 30s spring in my 30sf then it causes the same problem and if I put the older 30sf spring in the 30s then their is no problem.

7. BenjiEDF

BenjiEDF

Yep, just need to break in the spring a little.

8. jhc37013

jhc37013

Thanks for the reply's everyone.

After being a complete 30SF loyalist and refusing to carry anything else but a 30SF I may be in for a change.

I honestly just bought the 30S because I thought it was kind of cool and really didn't expect to enjoy shooting it as much as I did and I also did not think I would really notice a difference carrying it but it really does carry better, that last part really surprised me.

Now I really did not drive nails at 7yrds like I can do with my 30SF but that was because the trigger had that new feel to it which I have not felt in awhile, all I need to do is break it in a little more and I feel I can shoot it as well as my SF and again I'm surprised.

I need to figure out the night sight situation, I have TFO's on my 30SF but I've seen and read the Truglo front screw can be to long for some Glocks like the Gen4 19, I ran into that problem myself on my 19 and read a few who had the same problem with the 36.

9. djegators

djegators

You probably didn't feel much difference in recoil for two reasons. One, you are an experienced shooter, esp with Glocks. Second, the design seems to push more into your hand than to flip the muzzle. At least that was my thoughts after shooting the 30S.

10. jhc37013

jhc37013

I've been shooting handguns for over 20yrs and Glocks for 15yrs but I've only been shooting Glocks in .45 for about a year, it took me awhile to come around to it but once I got there I don't think I ever want to leave it. :)

You might be right about it pushing rearward the thought crossed my mind during my second magazine but I could not decide if that was what it was doing or not.

11. djegators

djegators

I reviewed the 30S at SHOT, and that was impression under limited shooting. It is also what GLOCK told me, so I guess I'll go with it :)

12. woodguy

woodguy

I'm just returning to Glocks almost 20 years after selling my G 20. I really like the 30S. It ran great with all my ball ammo level loads, but had trouble with Buffalo Bore 230+P.

It worked fine untill I got down to the last rounds in the the Mag, then they just didn't come up fast enough to be picked up by the slide. I bought a 21lb spring and rod from Wolff and still no help. It functions fine with standard level loads. (softer shooting and don't have to chase the brass so far.) I have a 9 rd mag and tried it, and it seems to work OK. I wonder if I need stiffer Mag springs for +P ammo?

Also, mine came with a +1 rear sight. It hit about 5" high at 25 yds. After filing the thing down to the equivilaent of -1 it is right on. Anyone else have this?

I'm very impressed with the accuracy. It will put 5 shots into 1.5" at 25yds even with cast bullets.

13. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

:supergrin: You're actually doing a variation of Glock's original recoil spring strength test. Your pistol is fine; you can stop worrying about it.

Unless you're very familiar with Glocks-in-general, and your own Glock-in-particular the recoil spring test isn't going to reveal any useful results.

Anyway, look at the similarity between what you're doing, and the original test, itself:

https://www.glocktalk.com/forums/blog.php?b=572

14. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

When a failure-to-feed occurs consistently at the same point with 2-3 rounds remaining in the mag, it brings to mind the following fix from my catch-all troubleshooting notes for Glock 45ACP mags that I've compiled from my reading at GT and personal experience. It may be helpful to check this out.

In addition, while the mag is disassembled, I strongly suggest you do a little work on the follower and the top spring coil. Although it's rare, I've detected binding of the bottom, rear edge of the follower against the mag wall when only 2-3 rounds remain in the mag. It causes a momentary hang-up of the follower and failure-to-feed malfunctions on the second-to-last round in the mag. The binding occurs even if polymer burrs at the feed lips have been shaved down. You can feel it catch momentarily when depressing the follower in an empty mag and letting it up slowly.

Use a nail file to round off and smooth the bottom, rear edge of the follower just to remove the sharp edge. Then bend up the top coil of the mag spring to a steeper pitch angle (40°-45°). That will help orient the rear face of the follower more parallel to the rear mag wall when only 2-3 rounds remain in the mag. Take this opportunity to carefully look again for metal and/or polymer burrs in the interior of the mag at the top two witness holes which could snag the follower. File down burrs using a needle file with a flat face.​

The rest of the mag maintenance and troubleshooting guide is found at this link: https://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18977793&postcount=2

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  15. BMiracletx

BMiracletx

I have had several that did that initially, and then it went away after a few hundred rounds and things broke in. Never caused a malfunction.

16. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

:thumbsup: Good post! Anyone interested in Glock maintenance should read it, AND the information in the link you provided. Thanks!

17. woodguy

woodguy

Great information! I took my mags apart and found a burr on one of the holes. Polished and cleaned and ran about 80 thru it. So far so good! Thanks!

18. ubimow

ubimow

My new Glock 26 Gen 4 does this as well when practicing the trigger reset. So far no problems with reliability at the range. Guess it's normal?

19. jhc37013

jhc37013

Lots of good info on this thread thank you fellow members and I'm glad the guy with the mag issue got it worked out from the info provided by GRT45, this is what it's all about.