close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My nephew is joining the Navy

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by mtpisgah, Jun 19, 2012.

1. mtpisgah

mtpisgah

My nephew is joining the Navy and starts basic training soon. I know there is not much he can take with him so I am trying to think of a gift for him when he finishes basic. I was thinking a nice high power flashlight and a good knife. I carry a Fenix and Benchmade so I considered getting him the same.

Does anyone have a better suggestion? I do not know what he will be doing yet after basic but his dad said something about being on the deck and driving the plane tug. I do not know if a carrier is a done deal or just a guess on his part.

2. moishlashen

moishlashen Senile Member

If he is part of the air wing they don't live on the carrier unless it has the planes on it so either way he'll spend time on a boat. When on boat he won't have much space, therefore something like one of those swiss army knives with all the tools on it would be good. If he likes to read a kindle or other electronic book deal-again small and he can put a bunch of books on it. A video ipod-he can put movies on it etc-and you guessed it-small. I like your idea too though.

3. kpuscg04

kpuscg04 ACTA NON VERBA

I good flashlight is always good for life on a ship. I recommend one of the Surefire single battery lights. The navy will give him the work lights he needs, but having a small one that will fit in his pocket for daily carry is good to have.

When the lights go out on the ship, if you don't have a flashlight, you're not going anywhere. He will quickly learn to always have one on him.

If he doesn't want a flashlight the number for the local CG recruiter will be helpful. He'll be wanting it when his enlistment is up :).

4. BlackPaladin

BlackPaladin

<-6 yrs Navy, the flashlight is a very good idea. I would say the second would be a small laptop with a good battery life.

5. Glotin

Glotin

I think your idea is great. A book on financial management might not be a bad idea either. If he is ambitious, tell him to look up OPNAV 1420.1b in a year or two.

Your ship didn't have DC lighting? No fluorescent tape?

6. GLOCK17DB9

GLOCK17DB9

Congrats to your nephew and good luck to him!:wavey:Thank him for serving!:supergrin:

7. NW-Warlord

NW-Warlord

When I was in (2001-2009) we were not allowed to have knives (I still always carried a Kershaw :whistling:). I think flight deck crew had even more restrictions what they could have on them due to foreign object/debris restrictions on the flight deck.

The flashlight is not a bad idea. It would probably be mostly used in the berthing area when it is dark, so brighter is not always better. I would have appreciated a nice electronic device the most though. A nice small laptop, with the longest battery life possible. Finding a outlet near your rack is hard to come by sometimes.

8. CombatCamera

CombatCamera

A good pair of Shower shoes!!!! Don't want to get the foot rot walking around barefoot in the berthing or the head!

9. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Don't wait until after recruit training; get him a copy of the Bluejackets Manual now, as well as a complete list of his chain of command from POTUS down through the CO and XO of RTC Great Lakes. (The rest of his chain of command he'll have to learn once he gets there). Learn both and his life will be much easier in the boot.

10. ggarciatx

ggarciatx Cold War Sailor

Go with what airmotive said. It will make things much easier. Also check around the high schools and see if there is a JROTC unit at one of them. Talk to the Instructor. They can teach him the basics of Facing movements and marching.
    Get him a small flashlight that is strong. Get an LED and one that uses AA or AAA batteries. He will be able to find those easily at the ships store. Also some glow sticks. Back when we were in, those were hard to come by and were considered gold for anyone who might end up in the water. A small 3 inch folding knife was carried, but I don't know what the rules are now. THis was over 20 years ago.
    If you can, get him some cool breathing t shirts. I dont know if the Under armor type moisture wicking type are allowed or not. We only had old fashioned cotton.

11. mecrens

mecrens

In addition to his graduation gift... write him often, everyday if possible. The letters don't have to be much, just enough to say hello, mention a current event, cut out an article or two from the newspaper. My son went thru army basic and letters from home really help during those difficult days.

12. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

Tell him to take advantage of the college he can get WHILE IN THE NAVY! IIRC its called tuition assistance.
    Much of his Navy training is credited and can count towards a degree.
    He will only have to pay for books. Its an awesome deal.

13. Ragnar

Ragnar

Whatever else you do, don't send cookies while he's in basic.

14. arclight610

arclight610

They cut the crap out of tuition assistance for FY12, all branches across the board.

15. MK34_Techrep

MK34_Techrep

If you are going to give him a flashlight, look for one that has different color lights, because at night most ships require you use a red light especially if you go out on deck, but most even require it inside the skin of the ship also. The combo light is a great gift and one he will surely use if he is stationed on a haze grey n underway vessel of the US Navy. I'm an old ex navy Fire Control Tech (FTG1). CONGRATS ON HIS ENLISTMENT...:2gun:

16. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

I just recalled...
    Lately I have seen a lot of submariners using red lense led head lamps for everyday use. maybe the surface guys are using them, too.
    I would get the combo red and white.

17. bear62

bear62 Armed Bear

Many thanks to your nephew for his service. No suggestions from me ...... I'm an old Army guy....... Only one tour way back when .......:wavey:

18. mtpisgah

mtpisgah

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I think I will go with a headlamp that uses a white and red light, flashlight with multiple brightness settings, and a multi-tool. He has enough electronic devises so I don't need to worry about that.

He has already started learning the chain of command and was reciting it to my dad this past weekend. My dad is retired Air Force (22 years) and my brother-in-law is also retired Air Force (not sure how long, about eight I think).

He was in college for criminal justice because he wanted to be a cop. He decided to enlist now and finish college later, hopefully he will. My wife and I have tried to tell him how important it can be.

Thanks guys.