My name is Larry and I am a gouger (I guess)

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by larry_minn, Feb 9, 2013.

1. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I have heard it enough on TV. "The first step is to admit you have a problem." Then again I don't. (agree its the problem)
    I sold a rifle "thru GT" for more then I paid for it. (20 yrs ago) I threw it in classifieds with price. Got a "I will take it" and then a couple more . (Which tells me I should have put a higher price on it) Thing is I didn't "Put a gun to anyones head" I put (what I guess was fair price as more then one wanted to pay it) The person sent $$ I sent gun, he said it was as advertised/happy. Everyone is happy.
    But some think I should feel bad? Sold some other stuff I bought/never shot, some I did shoot for while. Put prices way above what I paid. Folks seem to want them.
    Guess I am more a Capitalist more then communist.

2. ancient_serpent

ancient_serpent

Are you just looking for negative attention?

3. Rick C

Rick C affiant

OP:cool: "Everyone is happy."

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  4. 427

I sold a magazine that some one gave me for $45. I feel dirty.

5. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

well atleast your not Bill and have mesotheisioma

6. G23Adam

G23Adam .- -.. .- --

Or Bob with the other problem....

Sent via chisel and slate via Tapatalk 2

7. Droid noob

Droid noob

Good for you.

I am guilty of holding the lgs's to a higher standard. I believe they should sell their products at reasonable prices before this panic hit. I can understand passing on rising distributors costs. I can't sympathize with them charging 100 percent higher than they were selling for, when their costs have not risen.

That being said, it's their right to do as they wish. We have a choice to buy from them or not. I personally have more respect for the shops that sell at their normal price and just limit the quantity. Seems to be working fine right now. There has been ammo and magazines in stock every time I've gone to my store.

22lr is the one caliber I can't find anywhere though.

8. JMS

JMS 02

What about the lgs's that would previously buy up all the Walmart stock and resell it, is that something to be proud of?

9. walt cowan

walt cowan

a guy offered me 4x what i paid for my m1a1. crazy!

10. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

You should repent for your sins by selling me a firearm for what you paid for it 20 years ago, and all will be good in the world, larry.

:supergrin:

11. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

Yes, it is.

12. MadeInAmerica

MadeInAmerica

I hope you sold it.

13. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

You people are THIEVES profiting off the backs of hard working people who are not at fault for this shortage. You should be in jail!!

14. Hailstorm

Hailstorm Boom Shacka

LOL. I am not selling a thing :tongueout:

Yes, people are complaining about others selling items for stupid prices. Market of supply and demand. I want a couple items. But at the moment I am holding strong and won't buy for more than what I think they are worth to me.

That may change in time. But, everyone must do that. Don't blame yourself for selling something close to the going rate.

I have seen prices drop. Slowly over time. Still high. But, they are coming down. I think once the income tax return bubble pops. Prices should be much better.

I can hope at least

15. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

I'm also a gouger. Back when... I bought a G19 and 20 hi-caps. This was just before the last ban. It was being tossed around... IIRC I paid $16/mag. I sold 10 of them for $60/mag during the ban - free (nearly) G19 as I saw it.

So, I'm a gouger - a capitalist. I'm not that smart - if I had been I'd have bought 1000 hi-caps. :wavey:

I wonder if the people who complain about gouging would sell their ARs, mags, and ammo for what they paid (for it/them)? Hmmm :whistling:

16. ChallengerSRT

ChallengerSRT

As far as people paying higher prices than they should be paying at places like GT, the saying, "there's an ass for every seat", comes to mind. If people are stupid enough to pay way more than something's worth and are HAPPY about it, just look at it as another Obama wealth redistribution plan in action.

17. Z71bill

Z71bill

Look at it in terms of being - More or less Free.

If you are the type that says a person or business "shouldn't be able to raise prices because of a shortage" then you are also saying you hate freedom.:whistling:

If the person that owns the property can not set the price - THEN WHO GETS TO SET THE PRICE?

Change it up and say out loud.

I don't think people should have the freedom to set the selling price they charge for the property they own - we should have a government controlled system of setting prices. :upeyes:

Would this be better?

18. Droid noob

Droid noob

I think they "shouldn't" gouge the customer. It's bad business. I do believe they can and should be able to do what they want freely.

This is a ethics argument, not a constitutional one.

Maybe it's a double standard, but I don't think it's a problem for the end user to sell at whatever profit he can get. I have the problem with businesses jacking up prices when their cost is the same or considerably less than what their charging.

19. Cybercowboy

Cybercowboy Support the 2nd

IMO it's only an ethics issue if the good or service is one that is required for essential needs. Fuel, food, water, etc. A high-cap magazine or an AR-15 is not an essential need item. It is, in essence, a luxury good. I've had several offers over the years for my AR-15, all of them well above what I paid for it back 25 years ago. Since I want at least one AR-15 for my collection, I'm not likely to ever sell it. But if I did, you can bet that I would get a lot more than I paid for it, or I wouldn't bother selling it period.

Now if I wait around for the perfect maximum price for the AR-15, there's no telling if the bottom will fall out of the market before I can sell it. There's risk in holding on to a luxury item hoping the price will go up dramatically. However, when the price does go up dramatically and the owner of the item feels like selling the item, he is simply making a sale at current market prices.

20. Cybercowboy

Cybercowboy Support the 2nd

And to further clarify, the government is notorious for distorting markets. However, with firearms, we don't have the luxury of having a non-distorted market for these luxury goods. The firearms market is what it is. Since the government has put so much FUD into the firearms market, one should use caution when entering into such a volatile market.