close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My Muley this year

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by lomfs24, Nov 17, 2004.

1. lomfs24

lomfs24

Here are a couple of pics of my Muley this year. There is not a lot of hunting story that goes with it. We were coyote hunting and this one stuck his head up at the wrong time and I decided to end deer season.

2. lomfs24

lomfs24

Second picture.

3. dougader

dougader

Nice mule deer. What caliber is your AR? What load did you use, what distance was the shot, what was bullet performance like, etc?

4. lomfs24

lomfs24

Ummm, the AR is a 223. The shot was about 150 yards, give or take. I guess bullet performance was satisfactory, you saw him on the hood of the truck.

I am sorry for not getting into more of the gory details. I don't spend a lot of time on them myself. I know my gun, I know where the shot needs to go to take him down. He goes down, I take him to the meat shop.

I didn't even dig the bullet out.

Like I said, there is not much of a story behind it. We were coyote hunting and when we shot once this buck stuck his head out and I decided to fill my tag.

We pretty much backed up to him with the truck and went back to coyote hunting. I guess we did drag him about 20 yards.

Not much of a story, sorry.

5. Glocker74

Glocker74

Nice buck! My brother got one like that last year, in eastern Oregon. We had to carry him a long way...;P

6. dougader

dougader

That's cool. It just seemed to be a fairly big mule deer. The last one I took was with a .30-06 but it was at about 400 yards across a canyon.

You see people like John Nosler, Sr. say the .223 is really too light of a round to hunt deer with, but I know guys who do it all the time. Just wondering details. I'm weird that way, I guess. Just wondering what weight bullet, where did you hit him? In the neck, head or chest?

I'll say you were successful! That's a real nice muley.

Hey Glocker 74, That muley I got was in eastern Oregon, too, down in the SE corner of the state outside of Frenchglen in the Juniper unit. We had to field dress the deer and saw it in half to carry it out of the canyon. That was work!

7. lomfs24

lomfs24

Yeah, I have heard that too. I guess those same people would really freak if they knew I usually shoot deer with a .17 Remington. If a .223 is too light a 25 grain, .17 calibur hollow point should just bounce off a deer. But I have never lost a deer shooting my .17 Remington.

From many of the shooters I see on the range though I would tend to agree with the rule of thumb that you should not shoot a deer with anything less than a .243.

I don't know exactly where my shot went, I didn't dig it out but I intended for it slide just under his chin and connect with his spine where it meets his skull. I am guessing that's what happened cause he just dropped.

And yes Glocker74 there are some nice deer in Oregon, there are some really nice deer in Oregon and there are some monster deer in Oregon. I never hunted in Oregon cause where I lived it was too much of a zoo. But they are there.

8. Hunterjbb

Hunterjbb

Nice shooting and nice deer.. It's amazing what good shot placement will do for you :)

Every time i see a muley i just gawk at the size of the antlers.. and how does that stack up as far as Muley's go?..

My friend just got back from a Elk hunt in Oregon, said it was the absolute worst hunt he's ever been on, between the outfitter, weather and everything else.. NO one got anything and it snowed and was miserable cold for the time they were there.

Jeff.

9. lomfs24

lomfs24

Your friend should come out here and go Muley hunting. I could show him a good hunt if he doesn't whine all the time. ;f ;f

As far as how he stacks up. For right around where I live he is huge. For the area where I shot him at, he is average. Mine is about 22 or 23 inches wide, I have not measured him yet. (tomorrow) A pretty good one is 30 inches wide and anything over 30 inches is bragging rights.

Around where I live anything over 18 inches is bragging rights.

10. Hunterjbb

Hunterjbb

Thanks for the info.. i've been patiently waiting for my chance to go on a Muley hunt.. money always seems to be scarce when i need to start making plans.. :( one of these days.. Elk and Muley are the two hunts I want to go on.

My bud is anything but a whiner.. :) He's been on several hunts, that was his first Elk hunt.. blames himself as much as anything else for not doing the research they should have for the trip.. but hey those things can happen to the best of outfitters.

thanks again.. Nice shooting.

11. lomfs24

lomfs24

Here is a pic after the skull has been cleaned and bleached. I still have to do a little work with it but that is pretty close to how it will look on my wall.

You may notive that there is a small bone on his nose, your right, his left, that is broken. I still have the bone and it has been bleached with the rest of it. It will glue back in nicely and not hardly even be noticed.

I will post a bit about how it was done in the "Bleaching a skull" thread.

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=308597

12. Bullseye007

Bullseye007 7.62x51

Thats a nice muley.:)

-Bullseye007

13. CodeBlue23

CodeBlue23

I hate to troll, but out of curiosity, why do you feel the need to kill deer with a .17 Remington? I'm not saying that it isn't possible, but in my mind, I want to make sure that the deer has a quick, clean kill, with absolutely no possibility of maiming it. To each his own, but I would never use anything less than a .243 like you said. How far have the deer that you shot with the .17 run after the shot?

You sound like a very capable shooter, and I respect that. I'm not trying to start a debate, I have just heard of people using small bore rifles to shoot deer and winding up wounding/maiming the animal. I spotted a crippled deer at my farm a couple of weeks ago that had obviously been shot and crippled and it just made me mad to think of the hunter that was too irresponsible to kill the deer properly.

14. lomfs24

lomfs24

I know what my gun will do, I know the distance I can shoot it, I know where it hit in that range...I know my gun. I know the shots I can take and I know how much brush I can push (with the .17 that is zero brush).

To answer your question. This particular deer was shot with a .223. He ran about 30 yards. I have shot 6 or 7 deer with the .17 Rem. I have never lost one, and I have never had one take a step after being hit. The fartherest a deer has gone after being hit was a whitetail doe who was at a dead run when I hit her and she had to slide to a stop. That is the fartherst I have ever had a deer go after being shot w/ a .17 Rem.

Keep in mind that a .17 Rem is not anything near a .17 HMR. But still small.

Why do I do it? Cause I know that I can humanely kill an animal with it. I only know one other hunter who hunts with a .17 Rem. He has never lost a deer either. That being said, I have seen more deer wounded with 30-06 or 243 than I have a .17 Rem

15. lomfs24

lomfs24

Plus with a head or neck shot with a small caliber rifle there is zero meat loss due to bullet impact.

16. CodeBlue23

CodeBlue23

^That is true. I must admit that I am unfamiliar with the .17 Remington. In fact, I don't know anything of it ballistically, except that it is centerfire, which is good. I have had people tell me that they have taken deer with .22 LR and .17 HMR and I think that this is nothing short of unethical. Sounds like .17 Rem is certainly a step up from rimfire though.

17. VonFatman

VonFatman

It's obvious you are a marksman and very particular with your shots. I see no reason to suggest any caliber change to someone like yourself who takes such care. I do agree, for the "average shooter/hunter" I'd probably recommend a larger caliber gun just to provide a little extra "cushion". I plan to take a deer on my farm some day with my AR-15 and another with my AR-10.

I will make a "post hunt" suggestion. Perhaps you might consider transporting your game in a way that it is not exposed to others who may not "appreciate" looking at a dead deer?

I know, you are in the West where hunting is much more "accepted & appreciated"...(I went to school in Laramie, WY) but I'm speaking from personal experience when I say you can offend folks who WILL react to your "display" by running home to join or re-new their membership with the Sierra Club, PETA, the Humane Society, etc. IMO every dollar those type groups get hurts hunting.

Several years ago I was transporting a field dressed doe on the top of my vehicle. I noticed a car hanging next to me as I drove along, when I looked over both passengers gave me disgusting looks and simulated "gagging" to show me their disapproval. They were both seriously offended by the sight. I just laughed at them and kept on truck'n.

Later, with some thought, I realized I'd personally dealt hunting a blow that day. I will bet dollars-to-donuts those two "yuppies" in their BMW ran home and signed up or made a fat donation to some group that is out there right now, ready to take away my (and yours) hunting rights. If they did not contribute to a group that day, then I’m guessing they did some day/opportunity soon after.

I believe we (hunters) can help ourselves by thinking about how we transport our game. I have purchased a few tarps that I keep in my vehicle (I drive a mini-van) to use to cover the game before I take it in to be checked in or dropped off at the locker. I try to haul them inside the vehicle if I can...I also have a small trailer (my ATV trailer). I built a wood "box" with sides high enough to haul deer "out of sight". It was cheap and easy to make.

Please don't take offense. I am not suggesting you did anything wrong hauling your deer on top of your vehicle. I am sure a great many folks who saw that big buck enjoyed seeing it and probably thought "oooo...man, what a nice buck!" I would have loved to have seen it first hand!

It's just a suggestion I thought I'd pass along. Enjoy your venison!!

I’ve personally shot 5 so far this season (I’m trying to cut into the doe herd on my farm). We’ve taken 20 off the farm (160 acres).

Bob

18. GRIZZLYBEAR

GRIZZLYBEAR

Nice muley.....

I'll dig some pictures of the muleys that were taken on our 2003 Colorado hunt.

grizz

19. lomfs24

lomfs24

Bob,
    Thanks for the suggestion. I know exactly what you are saying. Normally I do transport animals a little differently than that. However, I ran into a snag that weekend. I drive an older Toyota 4Runner and the back window decided to crap out on me. Without the use of the back window I cannot get the tailgait open to put it inside. It was the only option I had at the time.

Thanks for the suggestion though, and I did think about that very topic for the trip home.

20. Craigster

Craigster

Very tactful and well said. That was my first reaction to the picture.
    If it were to happen again I would suggest removing the head and covering the carcass with a cheep tarp or ?.

As hunters we have many responsibilities. Our image is one of the most important.

My second reaction was to the size. Nice deer…………congratulations.