Glock Talk banner

My Local Gun Shop

824 Views 12 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Sigobsessed
So the nice guys at my LGS ask me if there is anything they can show me and as I look around disheartened I simply say.. eh not really. One guys asks me what I mean? He says they have lots of guns. I dont typically get into critiques of places I patron but he asked. I told him that being a middle aged "gun guy" I look around at the mossy 500's, Ruger 10-22's, Glock 19's, Ruger Sp101, Smith 38's and entry level RockIsland 45's, I see a bunch of good guns but guns geared toward a 22-25 year old gun-guy just arriving on the scene. I see a buch of stuff that most guys my age bought 20 years ago. I told him that the guys in the top 20% of his likely repeat spenders are probably not looking for this stuff, they are looking for stuff they dont have.

Am I off base about that? Maybe its just me.
Reactions: SigFTW
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
15,072 Posts
I agree. I don't usually even look in the counter at my local shop. I am at a point in my shooting/collecting life where I'm looking for pretty specific stuff. The standard selection of Glocks/S&Ws/XDs just doesn't interest me much anymore.

· M62/76
14,811 Posts
Not sure I completely agree with the target ages (as there are tons of new shooters at all ages) but I pretty much agree with everything else. I've tended to steer towards some pretty obscure stuff in the past 5-10 years so when I go to LGSs I'm usually buying ammo, mags, etc. although I do love stumbling across stuff in the used gun section on occasion.

· Registered
204 Posts
There are a few LGS I semi frequent around me. One in particular caters to the tactical Timmy mall ninja oper8tor wanna be with a wall of AR15's and a big selection of parts for them. That is fine and my go to place when I might need an AR part quick, but other than that their long selection is meh as is the handguns. I tend to head straight for the used/consignment case to see if there is anything interesting. Most of the other shops are kind of like this to a degree. Lots of AR's and the usual Glock, M&P, XD, 1911 and often not much else.

For me my favorite to go to is the Cabela's just to look through the Gun Library. There new prices leave a lot to be desired, and often that is the case with used too. But, that hasn't stopped me from looking for the hidden gem at a good price. The shops I frequent the most have a selection of used guns that keeps me coming in. If it was all new I probably wouldn't visit much if at all.

· Registered
155 Posts
So the nice guys at my LGS ask me if there is anything they can show me and as I look around disheartened I simply say.. eh not really. One guys asks me what I mean? He says they have lots of guns. I dont typically get into critiques of places I patron but he asked. I told him that being a middle aged "gun guy" I look around at the mossy 500's, Ruger 10-22's, Glock 19's, Ruger Sp101, Smith 38's and entry level RockIsland 45's, I see a bunch of good guns but guns geared toward a 22-25 year old gun-guy just arriving on the scene. I see a buch of stuff that most guys my age bought 20 years ago. I told him that the guys in the top 20% of his likely repeat spenders are probably not looking for this stuff, they are looking for stuff they dont have.

Am I off base about that? Maybe its just me.
I'm 68 and I want all the guns I sold back in the 80s. The S&W 19, the 66, 29, 24 &27. My python, the detective special and my old security six.!!! Was not real big on semi autos back in those days. I had a 1911 Colt and a Hi-power. Miss them all!!

Reactions: FireForged

· INFRINGED
41,924 Posts
We have three shops here.

One is the standard hunting gunshop with cheap sub 600 dollar guns. All boring black autoloaders. They have tons of bolt guns in odd calibers no one will ever buy, and cheap AR's.

The second is a small bolt hole in the wall shop. They cater to hunting and fishing with a few dozen guns. Mostly hunting arms.

The third is a new entry class 3 dealer with no shop front, and is a visit by appointment only type of deal.

The first two you can sometimes find something interesting. You have to go into each about 50 times to find that one gem.

I mostly have to travel outside of local, or buy online to get what I want.

· USMC 8531
2,571 Posts
Can't you order anything you want through them. I'm sure they stock what sells. It's got to be tough to go out on a limb and stock a bunch of guns they may not be able to get rid of in a timely manner.

· Registered
1,104 Posts
If it were my LGS, I would have fainted. The words "nice" and "ask if they can show me anything" are do not apply. In all seriousness, I prefer an LGS with more hunting stuff, but most seem to be going in the tactical direction. I understand that they need to make a buck though. Sucks getting old.

· Registered
623 Posts
The local pawn shop I get transfers from only carries budget guns like Hi Points and Cobras. I asked why. They said that the cheap guns sell like hotcakes, but anything over $400 doesn't sell as well.

I'm assuming that most customers are looking for a cheap, simple, one time purchase gun to use for defense.

· Registered
59,814 Posts
One of my local stores does a fair amount of volume so sometimes they get some interesting things in. And of course they can order most anything. But I tend to gravitate toward the used counters in stores and I like to look around at gun shows. Once in a while I stumble across something interesting..

And the local range I go to has had a couple interesting used guns over the years too.

· Ruggedly handsome
24,043 Posts
I pretty much only look at the used gun sections of the legs around here. Every once in awhile I find something that peaks my interest. I wish they were more like bac's lgs!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.