close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My local Ford dealer.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by southGA, Jan 17, 2010.

1. southGA

southGA

Last Tuesday I stopped to get gas. After I filled up I went to crank the truck and a load boom accompanied by a fireball came from under the hood. I popped the hood to find a spark plug had blown completely out taking the threads in the aluminum head with it. It's an 06 F-150 V8 with 69,000 miles. Well I had it towed to the closest mechanic just to get it out of the gas station parking lot.

The mechanic there said they could try and install a heli-coil but having used them in the past I wasn't too keen on the idea. The other option was a new head. Cost, about $1500 parts and labor. I figured what the heck I'll e-mail the dealer I bought it from and see what they say.

I sent the e-mail that night, the next morning I got a call from the owner of the dealership asking where the truck was so they could pick it up. I told him I really didn't have a lot of cash to drop on repairs. He told me don't worry about the cost just let us take a look at it. Well I got a call about 6pm wednesday to come pick my truck up. On the way there I was sweatin bullets cause the lady who called never mentioned how much I owed. When i picked it up the bill was $100. Not bad for a tow and repair.

The owner said even though it was out of warranty he would rather make more money in the long run off of repeat buisiness than a quick buck off a repair. In the future he will be getting all my buisiness. The dealer is Allan Vigil if anyone cares. I've never really had a good experience at a dealer repair shop till now. Just thought I'd share that there are some who still go the extra mile to help a customer.

2. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Good deal! So what did they do? New head?

3. noway

noway

q: a V8 triton engine? right ?

Will this is a normal scenario and ford has a few FSB out on this subject. Your deal or "ford tough" ;) should fixed this free like what they did do.

4. southGA

southGA

They took the head off and machine a place for an insert with new threads. Similar in principle to a heli-coil but since it is machined in it won't back out like a heli-coil. Unfortunately it seems this must be fairly common with ford trucks cause the mechanic at the dealer said they see it all the time.

5. southGA

southGA

I noticed on a couple of the Ford forums where others haven't been so lucky. That's part of the reason I was so happy he didn't just say tough crap it's out of warranty. And yeah it's the triton.

6. 1sharpedge

1sharpedge

Very common on the Ford V-8's our company has 25 work vans Fords and has happened to us multiple times. It is also a reoccurring problem and be prepared for it to happen to another cylinder. We have one that has done it to 3 different cylinders.

7. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

So what you are saying is, this problem was corrected according to Ford corporate policy in response to a common known problem with that particular engine?

In that case, it really isn't coming out of the dealer's pocket, Ford is paying for it because they have a defective engine design out there and are trying to contain the problem.

8. smokin762

smokin762

It sounds like you got very lucky. I like Fords they make a nice truck. I have owned a few of them myself.

My 2005 Jeep Liberty started giving me problems at 24,000 miles. I took it back to the dealer for a check engine light. I called that afternoon to check on it and the Service Manager told me that I could pick it up the next day. When I picked it up, I looked over the Service Invoice and it showed they rebuilt the Heads and replaced the Catalyst Converter. I questioned him about the repairs and he danced around the question but would never answer it.

The Check Engine light kept coming on while it was under Warranty and the Dealership kept telling me it was getting ready to reset on its own and there was not any problems with the vehicle. As soon as the Warranty was up, the next time I took it back to the Dealer for the Check Engine light they told me it needed a new Catalyst Converter. I took it to another Dealer and traded it off. No more Dodges for me.:upeyes:

9. noway

noway

problem was ignored by Ford for many years. Some people ( my parents for one ) paid out of there own pockets. Ford later on decided after numerous cases and complaints and to avoid bad press, decided to fix the problems.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/ford_spark.html

10. geminicricket

geminicricket NRA Life member

I don't know what "Triton" is supposed to mean,
    but after reading this thread I shall go forward understanding it to define "underengineered."

I wonder something.

Is the spark plug spinning out of the head or are the threads stripping?

A furball thread would last forever if Wal-Mart started selling vehicles.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  11. Slobberchops

Slobberchops WTF?!?!?

OP said it striped....

12. sugerwater

sugerwater

ford, never again. f150 with a bad head gasket. bent conecting rod, ruined motor, and ford doing nothing. never again.

13. DukeNukem

DukeNukem

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a common problem but it does happen more than a little bit. It was more common in the v10s, especially the early ones. The early 3 valve engines have an issue with the plugs breaking off too when you go to change em. Ford redesigned the heads to fix the issues. Glad the dealer helped you out, it can be a pricey fix. It is important on these engines not to let the plugs in for 100k. You can damage the threads taking them out and make this more likely to happen. Also, use a torque wrench installing them. Overtightening also can damage the threads. This can happen in any aluminum head engine, but for whatever reason, it's a bigger issue in the late model fords.

14. southGA

southGA

My point was simply how this particular dealership went out of the way to make it right, corporate policy or not. I had a jeep wrangler that was still under warranty with issues I could never get resolved. Finally had to pay out of pocket at a local mechanic shop to get it fixed.

As far as a design flaw, I'm not sure. I have had two vehicles in the past blow out a spark plug. One was a Nissan 300zx. It can be caused by putting too much torque when putting a spark plug in. If you put too much it can weaken the threads. Also, aluminum and steel expand at different rates. Sometimes over a period of time the steel threads on the plug and the aluminum threads on the head expanding and contracting at different rates can weaken the threads enough to cause this. Fact is any vehicle with aluminum heads is at risk. Maybe some more than others.

Not trying to turn this into a Ford/Chevy/ insert your favorite brand here, thread. I'm not loyal to any one in particular. They all have their good and bad points.

15. spotco2

spotco2

While I have not had that issue with a Ford engine, I have dealt with Alan Vigil many times over the years and they have always treated me very well both during the purchase and while the vehicles were under warranty.

I used to think they liked me because I ordered 50-60 new trucks and vans each year, but after I got to know some of them I think they were just genuinely nice people to deal with.

This has been 10-15 years ago though and I am not sure who is still there.