close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My Large bore revolver journey

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by CDR_Glock, Sep 8, 2017.

1. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock

I was always a 357 Magnum guy, at the most. I love my 627 8 shot 357 Performance Center and 586 L-Comp 7 shot.

[​IMG]

I never thought I would go beyond it. I'm not a flincher but I didn't want to develop one with the bigger calibers.

Now I already only shoot 357 Magnums in a Snubby but my friend warmed me up to 38 +P, too. So I have alternated, on occasions. My carry is a Kimber K6S with 158 gr JHP as a backup to my Glock 19 MOS.

One day I saw a S&W 629 at a gun show. I told my friend about it and said, "Don't be surprised if I got it." He gave me an offer I couldn't refuse, his 44, a red dot, a reloading press and reloading supplies....it was an offer I couldn't refuse. Particularly for how much he offered it for.

My first big bore was my friend's S&W PC 629 Hunter. Great trigger. Shooting with a red dot is child's play. Problem with high magnification scopes is the accentuated drift with higher power. I prefer 1X. My friend gave me his Dillon 450 progressive, along with supplies, with the 629 and red dot. I took to it very well, and recoil wasn't bad. Not like a 357 Magnum Snubby.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I traded a rifle for my first Ruger Big Bore. It was a SRH 454 Casull. It handles recoil very easily. I only load 454 Casull into it. Some people like to just shoot Colt 45/+P. I then moved up to the Smith 500 Magnum. I love the power and my favorite load is Hornady XTP 350 gr. It has been a learning curve for the 500 since there isn't a lot of data in each book so I bought the Speer, Hornady and Lyman. I've also loaded 500 gr 500 Magnums. Hahahaha. Very spicy. Haven't gotten my hands on a 700+ grain yet, but I want to try it.

Reading about the flatter shooting 460 XVR I decided to acquire that, also. Flat shooter out to 200 yards with a 200 gr bullet.

I started reloading for these guys in a single stage Hornady Lock N Load. I did get three different powder measures for each large bore: 454 Casull, 460 and the 500 Magnum.

[​IMG]

Wanting something as a bear defensive gun, too, I was torn between the Alaskan and Toklat, so I got both, in 454 Casull.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Seeing that I can handle the large bores, I wanted a 44 Snubby. Just for fun in the lighter 240 gr loads, but it can handle hot Buffalo Bore 44, too.

[​IMG]

So here I am, now....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It all started LAST FALL when he sold me my first 44 Magnum.

If you can handle a 357 Snubby, and you don't flinch. You can handle virtually any other caliber, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

happie2shoot and rattlegun like this.
  2. jmorris

jmorris

That's a darn good collection for a year. You have a great wife, not one at all or are really good at spousal embezzlement.

CDR_Glock likes this.

3. rattlegun

rattlegun

Excellent! I love revolvers too...

CDR_Glock likes this.
  4. SBray

SBray

Nice collection! The great thing about revolvers is you don't have to find the brass after shooting.

I've got three S&W 38 Specials and once had both a S&W 25 45 ACP/ 45 Auto Rim, plus a 44 Special Charter Arms Bull Dog. I wish I had never let the later two go. They were both fun to shoot!

Steve

CDR_Glock likes this.
  5. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock

Yeah. I hate chasing brass. It's a chore. I belong to an outdoor range. It has a "house" that we can shoot from, and that's where I do semiauto as I can sweep them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock

The latter. I make 5 times her income.

Let's just say, it's not noticeable....

7. fredj338

fredj338

REvolvers are so retro but then I have been called worse things. I love my big bore revos.

CDR_Glock likes this.
  8. JBnTX

JBnTX Ruckmanite

My single action Ruger Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks are my favorite handguns.
    You can keep your plastic wonder pistols, give me a single action revolver.

jmorris and CDR_Glock like this.
  9. DWB57

DWB57

Very nice collection. I use to have a red hawk 44 mag.with a red dot on it and I think I had more fun with that pistol then any I've ever owned,shot my first revolver deer kill with it and it looked like it had been shot with a 270. My favorite play load was a 240 gr swc over 8.7 grs of w-231, it was plum easy to hit clay birds at a 100yds using a rest.

CDR_Glock likes this.
  10. jmorris

jmorris

Says the guy with over 22,000 posts on the plastic pistol forum...:)

My first handgun was a 357 magnum, I sold a calf I bottle fed and my Dad asked what I was going to do with the money. I asked him if I could have a pistol and that's how it started back when I just turned 13.

Unfortunately or fortunately depending on how one looks at it, he let me learn financial responsibility on my own and I blew enough of a chunk of my profit on the revolver that I couldn't afford to shoot it much. So later that year my (envious, because his kid brother had a pistol, so he bought one) Brother and I went in 50/50 on a reloading press and reloaded untold butt loads, generally 500 at a time of a $10 box of 500 cast 158g SWC bullets with 4.5 gn of 231. Ah, the good old days...

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  11. 315

Very cool collection, but a question for you....did you have to wear some of those special glasses for viewing the eclipse when that fireball went off?:supergrin:

CDR_Glock likes this.
  12. Danny Reid

Danny Reid

Beautiful, and quite a diverse collection!

CDR_Glock likes this.
  13. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock

Hahahaha.

You actually don't appreciate the flame since it occupies only about 1 second.

14. rangerhgm

rangerhgm NRA Member

Very nice collection