close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My laptop keyboard is all screwy, typing different keys

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Norman, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Norman

Norman Non nobis CLM

Seems as if some of the keys on the keyboard, not the letter, but the special characters such as parentheses, colon, apostrophe, plus sign, etc etc, have traded places with one another. Furthermore, I can't get some of the special characters above the numbers to type out, even after I hold the ALT GR key. Something has switched since I first started using this laptop, because I used to have to press ALT GR + 2 to get the @ key, and now I have to press Shift + 2. The apostrophe is also on the 2 along with the @ key and I can't get that one to type out. What made the keyboard change? My question mark is no longer where it's supposed to be on the keyboard, instead, it's the underscore next to the period key. I'm on a compaq nx9010. What do I do to get this back to normalcy? It's driving me nuts.

Thank you....

2. lens

lens

Could be a number of reasons, but we'll give three possibilities a shot here and take it from there.

- Go to the BIOS when it first starts up and verify that if there is an language or keyboard setting that it is set to US - English.

- Go to Control Panel, Keyboard and make sure that it also is set to US - English.

- Make sure that any utilities that you might have that could swap keys are "neutralized".

If all the above doesn't work, here are a few more ideas:

- Plug an external keyboard in. Does it do the same thing? If not, perhaps your laptop keyboard has a short circuit somewhere, giving the wrong signals for keys pressed (only solution is replacement - EBay is a good bet).

- Boot into Safe Mode text only. Try your keyboard here. If it works OK, the problem is that something in Windows or an application is swapping the keys.

3. Norman

Norman Non nobis CLM

I messed with the language options some, restarted the computer, and all is well again.

Thank you.

4. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

k gnk k ejar lgkeodm od fkelcar swiqlvj iy tha jdjeso.

5. lens

lens

Norman,

Glad I could help!