close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My knife collection

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by K.C. Dia, Jan 25, 2006.

1. K.C. Dia

K.C. Dia

This is my pride and joy knife collection representing about 40 years worth. None came from sets, all were purchased separately. Some are 40 years old, but most are less than ten years. Most are Wusthofs with a few Henkels, the big ten inch chef's knife at the top middle is a Goldhamster. Like guns, you can never have enough knives. ;f

2. K.C. Dia

K.C. Dia

For some reason, the picture didn't come through. I will try again later when I figure out what went wrong!:(

3. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

4. mrwiggins

mrwiggins lookout ladies

i have some myself!

5. Str8shootr

Str8shootr

KC Dia

Nice collection.........how do you like the one second from the end on the right? (The one that is kind of serrated) I have seen ones like it on the Food Channel and have been thinking of getting one. Last weekend I saw some by Kitchenaid for under $15. Good quality knives are expensive, but I might buy a cheapo until I am sure I want to make the investment in a high quality one.

6. K.C. Dia

K.C. Dia

I think you are referring to the Wusthof Santoku which is the second to the right on the top. I've noticed that a lot of the chef's on the Food channel, Guida and Rachael and others, are using them. The serrations are indentions called "kullens" which are supposed to reduce drag and friction so that you can get extremely thin slices. I can't vouch for that, but it is extremly sharp and slices well. It also chops well and is wide enough to make a good scoop for transferring what you cut to where you want it. I got it about two years ago and started using it almost exclusively for chopping and cutting. I even bought one for my niece for christsmas. After about six months, the newness wore out and I slowly went back to using my tried and faithful eight inch Wusthof chef's knife. Today I only use the santoku when my chef knives are dirty and I am too lazy to wash them (about once a month). Still, when I use it I like it. It is a good choice for someone who doesn't want to handle a big eight inch chef's knife and wants a good knife for chopping and slicing. I would certainly prefer it to the six inch chef's knife, which my wife uses. Also the santoku doesn't have a point, so you can't use it to pierce anything. It's not essential, but it is fun to have. At 15 bucks, it sounds like a good investment. Hope this helps.

7. Str8shootr

Str8shootr

Thanks for the info. I think I will buy the cheapo to see how I like it.

I have quite a few knives probably 30 in various sizes, but I always end up using my favorite over and over again. I bought it at a local restaurant supply house. It is Oriental, and is basically a thin cleaver, with a wooden handle. It really holds a sharp edge, and is easily sharpened. It is a little dangerous at first, until you get used to the size of the blade, but after years of using it, I can cut almost anything with it, big or small.

8. BDNJ

BDNJ

mrwiggins-

Who makes the santoku (on the far left in your picture)? It looks nice.

Thx