My Kahr goes bang everytime thread...

Discussion in 'Kahr Club' started by monkeyevil, Sep 10, 2008.

1. IrvJr

IrvJr

My all steel K9 has still been going strong. I believe I have over 1200 rounds in it and it's be chugging like a champ since about 75 rounds. during the break in period for the first 75 rounds, the slide occasionally didn't return to battery completely, but since about 75 rounds its been flawless.

I mostly shoot Winchester White Box, Fiocchi, and Remington 124gr JHP rounds through my gun. It's accurate and reliable and my "go to" pistol. I like the fact that it's so compact yet accurate and easy to shoot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. theGreenAggie

theGreenAggie

Just got a copy of Gun Tests - Feb 09 Vol. XXI No. 2

The first test they conducted was between three small 45 autos - Sig C3, Colt CCO, and Kahr PM4543.

First, I didn't like that they were testing two 1911 platforms with longer barrels against the shorter Kahr, but that's another story.

They failed the Kahr, and if I test fired one with similar results to what was printed I would have also. Right front lip of plastic frame was cut due to slide. Evidently the slide was dangerously difficult to pull back to chamber the first round due to the double spring setup inside; these guys actually locked the slide back without a magazine and then put the mag in to chamber a round. Then they talk about poor accuracy - again, it has a shorter barrel than the other two guns but I would assume these guys know how to shoot. The last round in the magazine frequently jammed because the slide was under such high pressure from the spring inside. This happened so much that they actually stopped testing the gun!

"Our best group was with the five rounds of Cor-Bon we fired. It gave us two jams for five rounds, but put them into 1.8 inches. Worst was Federal Gold Medal Match, which averaged 6 inches. In our opinion, the Kahr PM4543 is one of the worst handguns we've encountered. The spring force of the slide is so stiff as to challenge our strongest team members to get the slide fully retracted to either pick up a cartridge from the magazine, or to be able to lock the slide open. Worse, in almost all of the many jams we experienced with all ammunition tried, the powerful spring wedged the outgoing empty or the incoming live round against the magazine, jamming it in place. This left no option but to westle the slide back against that ferocious spring to lock the slide back before clearing the jam. With a live round beneath the jam, this was a little scary. We eventually ceased testing this gun before our hands could slip in the cool weather and give us an unwanted discharge. Handguns must be set up to work safely, and in our experience, this one was not. Kahr can do a whole lot better than this"

Now I've been considering a PM9, so I know I can't expect the same results since it is a bit of a different gun, but this is troubling! I haven't read anything negative about Kahrs from you guys. Any feedback here? Talk me down?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009

3. Wilson 2008

Wilson 2008

The PM45 I bought last June recently passed 2000 rounds during an "advanced pistol" class at the local range. It kept up with the Sigs and Glocks just fine and had people all around me asking "what is that again?" It is a simply outstanding little gun. It has had a few failures along the way, and I've learned from them:

1. It has not had a failure in the first 50-75 rounds fired since the break-in period. If it is clean and in my holster, I have no doubt it will work when needed.

2. It likes to be clean and well lubed. When I shoot more than one box of ammo at a time I keep it fairly wet (well coated with Rem-Oil, but not dripping). I often shoot 250 rounds in one trip to the range, and most of my malfunctions happen towards the end of these sessions. By this point the gun is visibly filthy and the barrel is too hot to touch.

3. It is sensitive to limp wristing. As I get fatigued I can watch myself cause malfunctions. A good grip fixes this right away. This mostly causes failures to feed, and a quick tap on the back of the slide makes it good to go.

The "poly rails" look brand new, as does the entire frame, slide, and internals. The barrel has normal cosmetic wear, and a tiny bit of displaced metal where the slide stop goes through the barrel lug, basically a little bump on the side of the barrel at the front of the hole on the bottom where it absorbs all of the recoil. Not enough to even show up in a picture if I tried. This is a very small gun for that big a cartridge!

I know others have had trouble with PM series pistols. I'm sorry. Mine is accurate, dependable, and the most comfortable carry gun I've ever owned. After 2000 rounds I am very satisfied.

- Wilson

4. lance22

lance22

Other guns can be reliable out of the box. Kahrs need a break-in period.

5. Pistol Pedro

Pistol Pedro NRA Member

Am I missing something? How else are they supposed to chamber a round?

Please don't tell my you drop a round in the chamber and let the slide fly home on it.:wow: That would be a great way to break an extractor

6. theGreenAggie

theGreenAggie

Well I normally take the empty gun with the slide in forward resting position, lock the mag in, then rock the slide back and let go.

7. Pistol Pedro

Pistol Pedro NRA Member

Okay. I have no problem with that. I just don't understand your previous comment on inserting a magazine with the slide locked back.

8. theGreenAggie

theGreenAggie

Well the way that I read the review in Gun Tests, these guys would lock the slide back with the gun empty, then insert the magazine and let the slide rock forward. I guess the slide was so difficult to pull back that they didn't feel comfortable wrestling with it with bullets in the gun...

"But what did give us pain was the immense force needed to chamber a round. We had to use a great deal of strength to pull back the slide. We could not easily, nor safely, get it back far enough to catch the first round, so rather than risk our hand slipping, we resorted to removing the magazine, locking the slide back manually, inserting the magazine, and then dropping the slide to chamber the first round. We didn't like wrestling with a gun with live rounds in it."

9. Nuclear

Nuclear

Which if they read the owner's manual is how you are SUPPOSED to load the gun!

10. mpd563

mpd563 Guest

My new PM9 has only had about 160rds put through it as of today but so far it has been 100% perfect!

11. strobro32

strobro32

12. txpitdog

txpitdog

Mine had major problems at first. 3 trips to the factory. Now, though it works great. 400 rounds with no issues. Looking forward to another 4000.

13. cziv

cziv

My PM9 has about 1500 - 1600 rounds (all types & weight) and has never not fired.

The recoil spring assembly had the front nut work loose, which I lok-tited and am still using. Kahr sent me two aditional complete spring assemblies.

One which had an unfinished front nut (the little round thing that sticks out under the bbl) which I promptly polished with a dremmel and then the correct "finished" replacement.

All 3 are lok-tited!

I consider that great customer service. I was going to sell it right away since I think this is an outrage for an ($605 + $30 shipping + $20 FFL fee) expensive little pistol.

I read of everyone else's problems with this little polymer POS, but I cooled down after that and I have learned to love the darn thing and wouldn't sell it for anything.

It's deadly accurate and has never failed to fire!

14. Tough Guy Levi

Tough Guy Levi

Howdy:

This weekend, my Kahr PM9 has "digested" 19,111 rounds and except for a couple of weak magazine springs, has been 100% (not a typo) reliable since the date of purchase. Mfg in May 2003, I purchased my Kahr at a Costa Mesa, CA gun show after seeing ads regarding the Kahr line. Several months later I found out (call to Kahr) my PM 9 was manufactured two years prior and my serial number was in the barrel recall range.

To say the least I was a bit upset because my newly purchased Kahr had been sitting on the shelf for a couple of years, unsold! Hmm, why wasn't there a demand for my Kahr? I called Kahr again and was assured there weren't any improvements made since my Kahr was manufactured and just enjoy my new purchase. I read the owners manual (DAH) especially the part about the 200 round break-in period. I also found Glock Talk's Kahr Club and read about FTF (Failure to Feed) and other "problems" associated with the Kahr product line. I wasn't a happy "camper"!!

After 200 rounds, no FTF nor "bang" problems. Wasn't I supposed to have jams, FTF etc problems during break-in? Yes, I was "supposed" to but I didn't! Thousands and thousands of rounds later, except for limp wristing (on purpose) my "OLD" manufactured Kahr kept sending rounds downrange. I've replaced springs, sent my Kahr Co for the factory tune-up almost 5,000 rounds ago and it still sends rounds downrange through the original barrel with nary a problem.

Sunday I was teaching (NRA Cert Pistol Inst) a newbie (Evans Shooting World-Orange, CA -SoCa) who brought to the range a S&W Model 36 (no dash #). Folks, that's all he had to shoot since I asked him to bring his weapon(s) with him. He was in the range when I arrived and watched him for several minutes. Well, his home defense double action revolver was sending rounds downrange via pulling the hammer back, single action! IMHO that's a no no - As you all know, the trigger pull is now so light, a boo or stubbing a toe in the dark will no doubt cause a discharge!

A half hour in the classroom, another half hour in the range, he was learning to use his home defense revolver ONLY double action. I just had to show him my Kahr equipped with night sights (http://www.ptnightsights.com/).

After some instruction, 250 rounds later he was asking where he could purchase a Kahr PM9. Because of the weapon/sights, I wouldn't want to be the bad guy facing him with a Kahr in his hands. Using his S&W 36, well that's another story! The sight channel/slim front sight makes it difficult to see in any light condition! Oh, I forgot to tell you, I practice/teach without a light on the downrange targets 3,7 and 12 yards! Most bad happening are in low light situations thus practice makes perfect! Another 250 rounds downrange in my hands and my Kahr reached 19,000+ ranges "digested".

And now you know the rest . . . .

Tough Guy Levi

15. cziv

cziv

Cool Story Tough Guy Levi !! :supergrin:

16. War Hammer

War Hammer

I bought my K-40 back in early 1996. I've long ago lost count of the number of rounds down the pipe, but I estimate them to be over 10,000. The only malfunction I've ever had was very early on when I installed the recoil spring backwards. (Can't really blame the gun for that!) I've shot all qualities on ammo and all profiles of bullets and never had feeding or cycling problems. Damn fine gun!

17. Gideon46

Gideon46

I have an old old P9. It's a bit crude and came with tons of machine marks on the side of the chamber. The checkering is rough on my hands so I always have an "A" grip on it. It's the blackened stainless model. So it's not pretty but it's never malfunctioned, ever. Perfect and I know I have 3-4000 round or more. I've let others shoot hundereds of rounds through it too but I'm being conservative.

Then I have an MK9. It's been perfect with everything except just a couple FTF with some defensive JHP's. Sent it back to Kahr to have them tune it for JHP's. They did so under warranty and it truly eats everything now.

Now I also have a new K9. Not a better gun for my hand on the planet. It's been flawless but I'm only up around 300 rounds but those include a wide assortment of JHP's.

I plan on getting the K9 checkered on the front strap just to make it picture perfect.

I hear a LOT about Kahr quality but for me they've been simply outstanding guns!

Gideon

18. Sharky7

Sharky7 Boomshakalaka

Did you feel like this was worthwhile? Did they do a good detail cleaning for you while it was there as well?

19. wagonm

wagonm

PM9, July 2009 production, purchased in Sept. 180 round so far and goes bang every tim = so far so good. Still early for sure, we'll see....

Update Nov23 2009: 206 rounds from a mix bag of PMC, HMC, Federal and WWB, except of 2x slide-open (my thumb), they all went bang.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  20. rreynol

rreynol

July production PM9 that I bought in October. 300 rounds of cheap stuff downrange so far (150 federal/100 wwb/50 pmc) with no issues. Hope to be putting 250 (more cheap stuff + my carry rounds) more through it this weekend.