close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My job is insane!!!!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by mike g35, Dec 2, 2012.

1. mike g35

mike g35

I work at a Cabelas. I work the gun counter. I've never missed a day, I'm always a half hour early, and I stay over whenever asked. I'm the only one in the whole darn store with any real knowledge of firearms. About a month ago our manager quit. I did his job for a month with no issues. I applied for the position and I was passed up and they chose an asset prevention guy that's...lets just say...not the best of choices. He knows nothing about what's going on there. I work 7 days a week lately. Why am I still doing HIS job?!?! I shoot for Carver Custom and lately I've had NO time to shoot at all. Does this seem as ridiculous to you guys as it does to me? Should I keep pressing forward or start looking for new opportunities? Your opinion? This is DEFINITELY one of those "who's butt you kiss" jobs. Sadly I'm not good at kissing butt and honestly even if I was that kind of person and I'm not I wouldn't have time to kiss butt. I'm too busy doing HIS job!!!! UGH!!!!!!!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

2. Gallium

Gallium CLM

What are your options if you are fired or walk away?

You do realize that with Christmas a coming, you are going to be balls to de walls for a stretch?

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Are you planning on making a career with Cabela's? If yes, then do the best you can and push for your promotion. If no, then quit.

4. NIB

NIB

Do your job and only whats necessary. Stop doing his job and let him fail at it. It's obvious that they don't care about you going above and beyond in your job or they would have given you that position.

5. TK-421

TK-421

I say stop doing his job for him, let him crash and burn, and then when they find out he can't do his job, offer yourself up to replace him.

6. Bruce M

Bruce M

I agree with the thought of asking youself if you want to stay there for the long term. If so, from your viewpoint that guy got the job because he "kisses butt" but it may benefit to see from management's viewpoint what he brought to the table. Has he been there longer, has he done a variety of other jobs, in addition to kissing management's butt is he also great at kissing customer's butt?

7. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

Sadly, the reality of many jobs are that they go to "buddies" of the big boss and not to those who can do the job the best. I've seen it in my field and have seen the brother in law of the big boss destroy equipment worth millions due to stupid decisions. Anybody else would have been fired on the spot or executed. But in his case, it's chalked up as a "product defect" and he continues on.
    If you want to get ahead, it may be time to break out the Chap-Stick and pucker up. Not a pleasant thought, but it's the way things work in a lot of places.
    By the way, at Cabelas, do the guys who work in the high price "Gun Library" have to have more experience than the guys behind the normal gun counter? Do they get a commission on the high end gun sales? When ever I stop at the store in Scaroborogh Maine...I get pulled by spme type of tractor beam into that section of the store and it usually ends up putting a hurt on my bank account!:supergrin:

Best of luck, and hope you get the recognition you seem to deserve.

8. IGotIt

IGotIt No Demlibtards

Start taking time off when you can without jeopardizing your position and whenever possible refer any manager decisions, complaints, etc. to the new guy, don't get involved.

If he is away from the area, you and other employees call him whenever something needs to be delegated by a manager. In general, make him do his job or let him go down on his own.

9. Fracball

Fracball Authorized User

If you’re able to regularly communicate with the manager’s boss, let him/her know that you're doing tasks the manager should be doing. Not in an accusatory fashion though. In a casual, friendly way simply let others know your manager is not doing his/her job but you’re happily picking up the slack.

The alternative is as others already recommended; quit doing the manager’s job. When some managerial task comes up, contact the manager for a solution.

10. Beretta92guy

Beretta92guy

OP,

let me tell you something, what you just described is the typical norm. for the workplace......

when i was younger i believed that the way to move up and advance in a company was to work hard, be on time, go above and beyond if needed, stay late if needed and always do whats best for the company or your boss.....

the REALITY is, and you have heard that saying, its not WHAT you know, its WHO you know......

i can't count the times i have seen people, including myself, passed over for promotions/advancement that deserved it for people that did not.....

the way to get promoted in the REAL world???...it's all about whose rear-end you kiss, how good you can undermine your co-workers, always put other people down to prove how valuable YOU are and step on other peoples throat to make yourself look good.....

in my department alone, when our current manager left, there was a girl who had worked her butt off for three years learning how to manage the place...never missed a days work and was diligent and competent......she put in for the job but was denied in place of some goon who is the "drinking buddy" of the senior manager over the department..........and the funny part it she is STILL running the department because he is too godam' stupid to learn.....unreal...

you want to advance?? get an industrial-sized Chap-Stick and pucker up and suck up to the store manager, while kicking your co-workers in the throat.......

i'll send you the bill for real-world career advice that works :)

rant off......

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  11. paul45

paul45

Like the other posters have said...why would you do the new managers job for no compensation?

Why do you work 7 days a week?

Work your hours only...do only your assigned job.

Not a hard decision for me!

12. DaneA

DaneA

What makes you think you are qualified for the job over the guy you got it? Just because you have product knowledge doesn't make you a good choice for management. Also how old are you? I was passed up many times even though I thought I was qualified but looking back I was wrong and the better candidate was chosen. Retail can be a good career but you have to put your time in. It isn't about who you know it is about you skills as a leader. I would go talk to the store manager and discuss why you were passed over and what you need to work on to be promotable.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

13. wvtarheel

wvtarheel

Who is the new manager's boss? Do you have any interaction with him/her?

I've had a similar situation in my job, and what I did was this

1) I continued to do my superior's job - it was best for the company for me to do so.
    2) I used every opportunity to point out to my superior's boss #1 without being in your face about it.

This really only works if you have a lot of interaction with your boss's boss.... if you don't, maybe you can think about ways to get some face time with that person.

14. Big House

Big House Biggest member

If you're good at what you do, don't expect to be promoted. You're making the company money, so why would they promote you.

We had a meeting once where a manager said this. And he wasn't joking. We had some lazy dumb-butts for managers. After that meeting I started looking for other employment. I was asked severly times to not leave, after submitting my resignation.

Best decision I ever made. Advancement posibilities are endless, or I can stay where I am and make a comfortable living with great benifits.

15. Roger1079

Roger1079

Unfortunately many places are like this. All to often promotions hinge on whose ego you boost rather than actual talent and value to the company.

My opinion is that with the holidays this month and the job market being what it is, you need to secure another job before walking away from this one. The other option is to wait for this unqualified individual to screw up and get fired as from what you said, the promotion alone has already set him up to fail. It is just a matter of time before you can try again, and hopefully it will be someone else reviewing your internal application that actually has the companies best interest in mind when selecting applicants rather than needing a backrub.

Your choice should hinge on whether you feel that the next time the opportunity arises, that history will not repat itself.

Either way, good luck with whatever your decision may be.

16. DreamWeaver88

DreamWeaver88 ...............

My thoughts exactly. There's no reason for you to be doing what he should be doing. You probably aren't being paid at his jobs level, so don't do it.

17. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

As said above, the best solution is to "give him the opportunity" to do the job.

Why did they chose the asset prevention guy? Does he have more seniority than you? Is he looking at a career with the store? Are you looking for a career with them? How long have you been with the store?

Someone on a career path with a company may be given management positions in departments about which they know absolutely nothing. It happened to me in my time in retailing.

Would you be willing to move to another department to pursue a management career with Cabelas?

When you say you are doing his job, what department management specific tasks are you doing? There are a few he and he alone should do.

Another question, why did the other manager quit? Does the department see a frequent turnover in managers?

:cool:

18. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

Good post...

19. Tx-SIG229

Tx-SIG229

where are all those anti union guys on here? :whistling:

20. okie

okie GT Mayor

This:supergrin: