My IWB holster comes loose when wearing 5.11's

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by nylaw, Dec 9, 2014.

Tags:
  1. nylaw

nylaw

When I wear Vertex pants with a Volund belt I have zero issues. I use the exact same setup with 5.11 pants and the holster won't stay clipped to the belt after driving for a few hours. Has this happened to anyone else?
    The holster is a K&D that looks like this.
    http://www.nelsonholsters.com/images/iwb/Dakotann.jpg

To me it seems the material around the waistband is thicker on the 5.11's and I suspect the added tension unhooks the clips. I have a Comp-Tac I haven't carried yet. I am going to give that a shot but this is making paranoid.

2. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg Losf3d3r4135

I don't have any problem wearing wilderness belts and 5.11's any any holster. But then, I don't have a problem with any holster/gunbelt/pants combination. There are situations where the "clips" on iwb holsters ride up when I'm seated. I rarely use IWB, so it's not a big deal for me.

3. nylaw

nylaw

Riding up is exactly what is going on. I was mortified when my gun and holster hit the ground. I was seated for a few hours in the car before I got out. I am just glad nobody else saw it. The other time it happened I caught it in my shirt and walked out to the car with my hand on my shirt. The 5.11's are the TDU style not the original type. I have those also but haven't worn them yet with this setup. I really do think it's the waistband. They have a retractable stretch system which makes it thicker.

4. Ryobi

Ryobi SummertimeRules

Yep. Clips can ride up. The drawback compared to loops.

5. Patchman

Patchman Florist

And which is why for the past twelve or so years all my holsters have been belt loops.

6. Bruce M

Bruce M

I am not sure if I would be mortified if my gun came loose wearing 5.11 trousers. People would pretty much expect me to have a gun if I was wearing 5.11 attire. Although I don't remember every wearing them with an IWB holster.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  7. Wishoot

Wishoot

I agree.

Belt loops, closed hooks or reverse J-Hooks (like the one used by High Noon) seem to work best.

8. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

When I wear a IWB holster with 5.11 pants I hook it over the pants and not the belt. It holds very well this way. The 5.11 pants and belt are too thick for the holster clip in my opinion.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  9. Shadyscott69

Shadyscott69

You could switch to these. They WILL NOT come off. They are also a PIA to thread you belt through and out of when taking off.

[​IMG]

10. nylaw

nylaw

Thanks for the suggestions. I will either go with the hooks above or see if loops are available for my holsters.

11. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg Losf3d3r4135

Thanks. Let us know how things work out.

12. nylaw

nylaw

I tried the Comp-Tac Minotaur I had laying around but never used. It worked great and no movement at all. I tried it out with the Vertx pants for a couple of days then carried with the same 5.11's. I could see clip stretch put it stayed put.

On another note the more I wear the Vertx pants vs 5.11's there is no comparison. The Vertx's are hands down the better pant.

13. 4Rules

4Rules

I have the same issue with Comp-Tac standard clips. All you have to do to find out their serious limitations is to take them to the range to do some serious holster work. We're probably not the only ones, either. In addition to the standard clips, Comp-Tac does offers other mounting options, including a C-clip that cover both the top and bottom of the belt.

14. 4Rules

4Rules

Full, formed, and fixed Kydex loops - like those offered by CCC, JM Custom, and Keepers - are definitely the way to go.

15. Chop Suey

Chop Suey

I'm a newb to 5.11 pants and this type pant in general.

Just wondering what features make the Vertx pant better? I am not familiar with this brand.

Only 5.11 pants I have ever worn are the "Flex-Tac Stryke". Gotta say I like them a LOT. Always looking around for "better".

Especially like how the cargo-type pockets on the Stryke pants are situated higher up on the leg. Great material(and overall design) that seems to repel stains/dirt. Very comfy. Only had them a few weeks;will see how they hold up over time.

16. MooMooBoo

MooMooBoo

Hey guys. What's the advantage of going with 5.11 versus just jeans? When I ccw I did it just fine with jeans?

17. Ryobi

Ryobi SummertimeRules

There isn't one. Some folks think they make them look like LE. Some like the pockets. I love them for duty use, but never wear them off duty.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  18. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

That's what I use now. Originally I used the standard CompTac clips and had the problem of them coming unhooked from the lower side of the belt. And like Scott I found the downside to these is that if you want to take the holster off you have to pull the belt off through them, unlike the standard clips, which are easy to remove.

When I called CompTac they said the C Clips generally work better with synthetic belts like the Wilderness I wear.

19. Chop Suey

Chop Suey

There are several different models/styles of 5.11 pants.

I really like the 5.11 Stryke pants. They use a "flex-tac" material that is very comfortable(a little stretchy);breathes better than cotton denim(dries faster too). Overall they are more comfortable for carrying more stuff like guns,mags,cell phone,flashlight etc.

The 5.11 crotch is gusseted(sp?) which makes for more freedom of movement over jeans.

The 5.11 Stryke pants have a teflon coating that makes them way stain resistant.

I like jeans too;but some 5.11 pants have a distinct advantage for carrying guns(magazine slots in pockets)/extra pockets.

Also the cargo type pockets on the Stryke pants are located higher up on the side which is a big improvement if you are carrying stuff in them and then need to move quickly.

20. Ryobi

Ryobi SummertimeRules

The standard is the traditional 5.11, slash back pockets, and the material is taclite. I don't know any agency buying cotton anymore.