My internet paranoia

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by DEATHROW, May 21, 2005.

1. DEATHROW

DEATHROW Deceased

Ladies and Gentlemen:

I am a relative newcomer to GT, despite my many worthwhile (and some just plain stupid) postings and I am almost totally computer illiterate.

Because of my lack of trust in the internet, I miss a lot of information posted on GT. But I do not want to get a virus infection because I haven't the foggiest idea as to how to get rid of it.

My question is: How can I be sure that a website or URL published on GT is legit and not loaded with viruses?

Up till now I have made it a policy never to download anything, period. I trust nobody when it comes to the security of my computer. So, do I just have to live in the dark ages or is there someone out there who can enlighten me?

Regards

Deathrow:cool: ;) :)

2. glocka

glocka

:cool:Hi DEATHRROW...glocktalk is safe,butt you shouldn't travel any where on the net without some type of virus protection.I have norton's plus another protector.If you're surfing without any, you're just asking for it. ~1 and for fewer headaches,get some protection.I hope this helps,'cause I'z a rookie too.Butt,I've been burned.^3

3. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Get Antivir Personal Edition and AdWare.
    Both free online.
    Both have nearly daily updates.
    One protects viruses and the other spy?
    Use Firefox as a browser.
    Wear personal protection.;P ;f

Non-geek sci-fi fan.;b

4. SlammedDime

SlammedDime G23 Member

Download the FireFox web browser from mozilla... www.mozilla.com/firefox

Buy some anti-virus software. Most out these days will scan any file as its created or downloaded to your computer and if it finds a virus, will promptly take the appropriate action.

Google a search for Spybot. Its an adaware program that gets rid of unwanted entries on your computer, both files, as well as registry entries.

5. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

6. DEATHROW

DEATHROW Deceased

Gentlemen:

I want to thank you for your attention and help. Tomorrow I will act on your suggestions and go down to the nearest "computercomplex" and load up on anti-spy and anti-virus programs.

You were a great help. Thank you all.

Deathrow:cool: ;) :)

7. G33

Dear Death,
    You may want to check those photos on your C: drive...
    My Docs
    My Pics
    My Vac

They are pretty wild!!;P

Just messing with ya.;f

8. DEATHROW

DEATHROW Deceased

G33: You are a truly worthy opponent. You are very clever but not quite clever enough.

You see, I am too dumb to be able to put pictures on my computer. However if you find the demo pix on my C: drive exciting, you truly excite easily.

Keep trying, you might succeed when you are dealing with a lesser mortal.

Got a kick out of though.

Regards

Deathrow: unflappable to the end.:cool: ;) :)

9. BOB THEDOG

BOB THEDOG Member me?

You'll need to buy some good antivirus software, Norton (Symantec parent company) is my choice. And be sure to download the updates like it will say it needs to.

Now antispyware: Go to http://www.microsoft.com and find the link for the antispyware beta (beta means its still being tested by MS)

Download and run it. Its the greatest software anybody's given away in a long time. It wont be free forever. But it really works.

PM me if you need assist.

10. Fredman

Fredman Scallywag

I'd stay away from Symantec products. Aside from the fact that they'll spew bits of themselves all across your harddrive, you'll end up paying mucho bucks over the years for virus signature updates. Norton products were pretty good IMO until Symantec bougfht them.

My machine is protected with the following:
    ZoneAlarm firewall: inbound & outbound protection
    AVG antivirus: realtime checking, scanning & email protection
    Spybot: adware scanner
    AdAware: adware scanner

All of the above are FRE FREE FREE, have pretty small footprints, and don't make you beholden to some corporate behemoth for updates.

Just google for them; they're easy to find.

11. MB-G26

MB-G26 Canceled Lifetime Member

Two part answer.
    http://www.millersmiles.co.uk/identitytheft/spoof-link-checker.php
    1st, to verify that a particular website address is legit (and not, for example, one of those "phishing" sites designed to fool visitors into giving up account information i.e., {phony} ebay, paypal, various banking institutions) such as one is directed to in any one of several "phishing" emails:

http://www.fraudwatchinternational.com/internet/phishing/email.shtml#hyperlinks
    http://www.fraudwatchinternational.com/internet/phishing/website.shtml#url
    http://www.amigos.org/aaoc/2005/mar05/internettips0305.html
    See also http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/email/phishing.mspx (but MS isn't likely to tell you to tighten up your browser settings.... ) ; http://www.ag.state.mn.us/consumer/Alert/ca_041005.htm

2nd - basic browser security (assuming an MS product) - for ALL zones EXCEPT the "Trusted" zone, DISable all ActiveX and script/java/javascript options in the Tools/Internet Options/
    Security (tab) section of IE. Ditto for other options such as allowing "file" or "font" downloads, "installation of desktop items", etc. Under the "Advanced" tab, DISable "allow install on demand". Personally, I have never relied on MS's 'slider' thingie to set my browser security settings ("High", "Medium", "Low"). Better to make individual selections for each option's entry in each browser "zone".

For sites (like GT, yahoo if you use yahoo email, etc.) where you need to allow more functionality, add them in the following format to the "Trusted" zone.

Many will suggest that you switch from IE to Mozilla, for example.
    For example, re spoofed sites/URLs re Mozilla see here http://sillydog.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5775

(2nd and a half) - install and keep current (means: allow to automatically get updates- virus signature detection, or do it manually and DAILY), at a minimum, an anti-virus program. Because AV programs will not necessarily (if at all) detect a "trojan horse" so-called, virus, running an anti-trojan program is recommended. A firewall is an additional good measure - make sure it's a real firewall and not just a 'one way' (incoming detection only) firewall like the one that comes inherent in Windows XP.

(See http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/alerts/phishingalrt.htm
    Make sure to keep your operating system (98/98SE, Win2k, ME, XP) and your browser updated regarding "security patches".

A variety of things like "pop up blockers", spyware blockers, script protection programs (freeware available), exe and other file protection programs (freeware available), and/or those that shoot up a notice window when a certain file or file type has had a changed to it attempted, all can be helpful - it's a matter of layers.

But, bottom line - AV-maintained, AT-maintained & security-patch-updated OS and browser. Those measures, combined with stringent settings for the 'general' "Internet Zone" (basically ALL zones except "Trusted") and allowing any greater functionality ONLY on sites you trust, is about as safe as you can get without going into additional, multiple layers of protection.
    m

12. AggiePhil

AggiePhil ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You aren't paranoid when there really is that much crap out there that you could get on your computer. That's why I think you should look into buying a Mac. :)

13. DEATHROW

DEATHROW Deceased

Aggie:

You are right. I have been thinking about that for the past couple of weeks. Reading all the computer info I could get my hands on, Consumer Reports, etc. and I'm sold on the idea of getting a Mac.

Thanks for the lift "over the wall". Your note was the tipping point.

Deathrow::cool: ;) :)

14. G33