Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had this crazy idea for a home defense shotgun the other day, and the more I think about it the more I think it could be a good seller.

The idea is to have a double barrel shotgun with a double action trigger. So essentially take a plain old over under and put a revolver on the back end. Why? Well hear me out...

This is largely intended for civilians with little firearms training to use for home defense, which is basically 99% or more of gun owners. The idea behind using a double barrel shotgun is that it's simple and lightweight, and it can't jam or be shortstroked. And as much as it pains me to admit it, our beloved former vice president was mostly correct when he said two rounds was enough. Yea, of course it's nice to have as much ammo as possible, and there are regular events in the news proving that there are exceptions, but the simplicity of the double barrel shotgun may outweigh the unlikelihood of needing more than two shots.

Why the double action trigger? Because it wouldn't need a manual safety. You could even get fancy and do a trigger and/or grip safety. This would mean that there would be zero chance of someone in a panic forgetting to take the safety off. The double action trigger would also help prevent a startled homeowner from negligently touching off a round, even if they absentmindedly had their finger inside the guard.

Another advantage of the double barrel shotgun is that its overall length would be shorter than pump or semi autos, so with 18'' barrels it would be like having a 12'' pump or semi auto, given that the receiver is about 6'' or so.

And if you were super worried about capacity, then you could do a triple barrel, and even hang all kinds of side saddles on it.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think mossberg made or still makes a double action trigger on a shotgun.

Agree some people are easily confused with the manual of arms for even a pump action.

Personally I like my 590A1, 930 and shockwave.
You're right, it looks like they made a DAO 590 in the early 2000's, but I can't find any for sale, so apparently they weren't very popular.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind having one myself. We all know how overexcited hunters, even ones experienced with firearms, can forget to take the safety off at the crucial moment. If sighting a quail can excite one to the point of forgetting they have a safety, just imagine the state of mind you would be in if you were confronted by a bad guy in your living room. You would hope that somewhere between swallowing your tongue and peeing your pants you would remember to disengage the safety, but who knows...

·
Registered
45,175 Posts
Shoot a pistol grip shotgun with whatever defensive load you'll pick and let me know how broad the population, you think should be doing that, is.

·
Registered
45,175 Posts
This would have a stock...
When you said "So essentiallytake a plain old over under and put a revolver on the back end. " I did not envision a stock. Especially with it being "double action".

Do you mean like this over/under?

Reactions: Shift1

·
Banned
45,580 Posts

·
Registered
45,175 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
as much as it pains me to admit it, our beloved former vice president was mostly correct when he said two rounds was enough. Yea, of course it's nice to have as much ammo as possible, and there are regular events in the news proving that there are exceptions, but the simplicity of the double barrel shotgun may outweigh the unlikelihood of needing more than two shots.
I hope you would not agree with Crazy Uncle Joe, possibly the dimmest human to ever weigh in on self defense, to empty your substandard two rounds into the air once confronted with a threat.

You realize his intent was not to protect victims, but to protect criminals. Not all Democrats are criminals, but nearly all criminals are Democrats. (Over 85%) He wants to preserve his voting base.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I hope you would not agree with Crazy Uncle Joe, possibly the dimmest human to ever weigh in on self defense, to empty your substandard two rounds into the air once confronted with a threat.

You realize his intent was not to protect victims, but to protect criminals. Not all Democrats are criminals, but nearly all criminals are Democrats. (Over 85%) He wants to preserve his voting base.
Of course not, but in most cases two 12 gauge shells would be sufficient. I think an AR is the perfect all around house gun, but this thread is about people who only shoot their guns very rarely, or even people who have never shot a gun before at all. I actually have family members who have never shot a gun before, despite their spouses having them, and if they were ever home alone and had to use a gun they would need something beyond obvious that you simply shouldered and pulled the trigger. The idea is to put revolver level simplicity into a long gun.

Think about it like a fire extinguisher. Barely anyone has ever used one before, yet we all know how to use them in principle. Maybe we wouldn't be as effective as someone with firefighter training with one, but even a child can grab one and use it. Now imagine that we started making these really fancy fire extinguishers with magazines and all kinds of buttons and each one was radically different depending on who manufactured it. Instead of being something anyone can just grab and use, you now have to practice with them regularly and develop muscle memory so as not to fudge it up in the crucial moment.

That would be madness, yet that's exactly the situation we have, where we have all these complicated home defense guns intended to be used by people who may have only shot a gun a handful of times in their entire lives. Guns that may in fact be used by someone who has never shot a gun before.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.