close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My hunting grounds

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by noway, Apr 8, 2003.

1. noway

noway

Here a picture of the typical terrain in South East Fl.

Great for a Marsh Rabbit to hide in and probably great cover for a snake to stage an ambush, but a royal pain for hunters thrashing thru the over growth on foot.

2. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Noway,

Hey Hoss.
    You already know what the terrian looks like out in my part of West Texas. I wouldn't know how to adjust, in that area in your photo.
    Is it swampy?

Nice shot of your area. Watch out for those 'Florida rattlers'.

Later

CanyonMan

3. noway

noway

Not swampy but sogging with sandy patches in the middle of everything. Everybody assumes that South Florida is full of sawmps but I find it the opposite and specially when you compare it to the LA & SE Texas border. That's more swampy in my opinion.

Actually now that I'm thinking about it, that picture was taken on the South West corner of FL near Fort Myer/Naples area ( WEBB/Babcock WMA ) but the eastern side looks just the same. Very strange when compared to the flat terrain of IL or sparse brush of Texas.
    Just subsitute you're Mesquite Trees and replace them with some Native Small Pine and Palmetto brush and you have my area.

{ Watch out for those 'Florida rattlers'.}

Don't have to worry about the diamondback but quite a few cottonmouths in the water solugh, garter snakes, southern racers ( aka Everglades racer ), Braided snake, common Brown water snake, and on 2 ocassion I stepped on 2 Dusky Pygmy rattlers that where maybe 1ft long max. Most of the above will hear you coming and get out of the way.

This is the snake that's very dangerous down here that everybody mistake for it size as being harmless.

Up northern they have the Eastern Diamondbackand Copperheads to mainly worry about.

4. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Noway,

(Quote) ..."and on 2 ocassion I stepped on 2 Dusky Pygmy rattlers that where maybe 1ft long max..." (End quote).

Dusky Pygmy Rattlers!!! Man that even sounds bad!
    As you know, out here in W. Tx. it is the 'baby diamond backs that worry me the most' There are no rattles as yet on them, at there young age, and their venom is more deadly than their daddy.

Well, as far as the 'Mesquite, VS. the Pine,' I envy you having the Pine there... love the smell. Plus, you at least got a straight tall tree for a tree stand. :)

As you know, around here, it is a tower on four legs, or hide yourself in the brush.

Our family has large holdings of land in Tennessee, just east of Memphis, and I asume the terrian there is somewhat like what you got in your area, perhaps more woods... plenty of cotton mouths, and copperheads as well. Rattlers don't really ever worry me none,(except the babies), i am used to them for one thing, but i can at least 'hear them.' I don't like the 'silent type.'

how are the deer in your area there, (in body size), compared to the "average sized" W. Texas deer? # 2.. are they plentiful, or do things look slim down there?

The deer population in Tennessee last season,(we took atrip down there), looked pretty good, and there was some nice body weight, and racks as well.

We are gearing up for spring turkey here at present, so we are hoping they will be in good shape. we expect to see some good size birds.

Drought has been the major problem here though, so we will see what happens.

C.M.

5. noway

noway

Deer size? You have to be kidding they are small and tiny around here, specially down here in the far end of florida.

"Everything is bigger in Tejas"

The best deer to hunt would be on private game preserves that import deer in for shots or you need to take a trip up north like to the florida+ga border or on into GA & TN would be much better.

{lenty of cotton mouths, and copperheads as well. Rattlers don't really ever worry me none,(except the babies), i am used to them for one thing, but i can at least 'hear them.' I don't like the 'silent type.'}

True but most of the rattlers stay quiet or at least the one I've stumbled on."them pygmy rattlers that I step on gave no warning and nor did I see them until my boot came down on their bodies"

Key thing is always look down and make noise when you walk so that the snakes hears you and can take actions to get out of the way. I run across more non-venomous snake than venomous. These snake know they can't really do any thing so they high tail it out of the way. The mocassin is the only one that kinds looks and like to find trouble but 9 out of 10 times they will move on. I just just worry about that 1 mocassin that sits and wait.

{I envy you having the Pine there... love the smell. Plus, you at least got a straight tall tree for a tree stand. }

True. The Florida slash pines make good stands mounts amd it would hard in some areas to setup in a brush and expect to seeing anything out past 30-50yrds.The trees are great but nowhere as big and thick as the GA pines that you see in the Bristol & Savanah area. These trees from what I once read up on are great for sucking up water and are fire tolerant to a certain point. But when they do burn, they on most ocassion explodes.

btw: My favorite trees in Tx are the Cedar and Pecan. My parents old home in central Texas had so many Cedar trees it was like heaven. The wood and it's trimings where great for the fireplace and oven. Mesquite trees where a pain to burns & was to hot,and hickory & oak was the 2 woods we used for good a smoked Brisket BBQ.

6. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Your right about the cedar trees... they are as plentiful as the rabbits!

We use the 'really big dead cedars,' to build log furniture with, or dead standing spurce, or aspen, from the Taos N.M. area.

the cedar makes a great looking bed, and you don't have to worry about bugs! :)

Well, I'll let you know how turkey season turned out.. gotta go

Adios for now.

CanyonMan