My home page had been hijacked...

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by sarge, Apr 30, 2005.

1. sarge

sarge Millennium Member

For about the last 2 or 3 days, when I start IE, it goes to some search engine, hotinfoseek or something like that. I have cleared the cookies, did a virus scan, and tried to reset my home page (Tools, Internet Options, Use Current, Apply, Close). My home page was Iwon. Next time I start IE, I see it say "Iwon" for just a split second at the top, then go to this other page.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm lost from here.

2. guod 27

guod 27

you need to download Spybot, Adaware or Highjack This. I have all three and run them once a week , had my home page high jacked once , enough to piss off the pope. Be careful with Highjack this you can get your self into trouble if your not a computer geek. Hope this helps.

3. sarge

sarge Millennium Member

I forgot to mention that I also ran AdAware SE. That didn't help, either. I tried SpyBot one time and it deleted some stuff that I had to go back and reverse the deletion on. It kinda turned me off of SpyBot.

4. PawDog

PawDog NRA Member

If you have Windows XP, go to Run, type in msconfig, and remove the Iwon checklist from the system startup menu. Good luck, this happened to me last month too!:(

5. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

6. prairieviper

prairieviper

You do likely have spyware on your computer. Spybot Search & Destroy is a good program for removing spyware. Like any software download, be sure and read the tutorial to familiarize yourself with how it works and how to recognize real threats. It is always good to have more than one anti-spyware program as well as a good software firewall, anti-virus program and a pop-up blocker. I use both Spybot Search & Destroy and Spywareblaster by Javacool. Spywareblaster does not remove spyware from your computer but keeps you from getting it in the first place. Like all programs, be sure and keep them updated.

You can go to a number of sights and run a free scan that hopefully, will remove the spyware from your computer. Trend Housecall is a good place to start at
    http://www.trendmicro.com/en/home/us/enterprise.htm
    or you could go to http://us.mcafee.com/default.asp which is the home of Mcafee virus scan.

Good luck!

7. sarge

sarge Millennium Member

I went ahead and ran Spy Bot again. I really don't know all that I am reaing in the stuff it found, but it did find one item in the Start up. I deleted it, and so far it seems to be running right. I didn't see anyting about Iwon in the startup.

Now a question, if I download Firefox, can I run it and still leave IE on the computer? I am sure I can, just as any other stand alone program, but wanted to make sure. I would just want to move my bookmarks and make sure I know how to use it before I went to it 100%.

Thanks for the help.

8. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

yes, they will both function on your computer at the same time.

BTW, you will need IE for Windows updates. Microsoft has made that a "feature".