Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
getcha suma dat
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow. Ok, so I have been hiccuping for almost 3 hours straight. By far the longest i can ever remember hiccuping for, and it was starting to get really irritating and uncomfortable and it seemed like i was also experiencing shortness of breath. I'v never really known what you were supposed to do to get them to stop so sitting here hiccup after hiccup i simply google "how to cure hiccups".

I try the first method explained, which was to as much air as possible into your lungs and without exhaling any of it take a gulp of water, then take another gulp, and do it as many times as you can until you have to let the air out. I swair to god i inhaled as much as i could and took like 3 or 4 big gulps of water, then exhaled and immediately i felt as if my chest was a lot less tense. It's been 30 minutes and not one single hiccup. I can not believe after 3 hours of non stop hiccuping i try one random thing that i find on google and darn if my hiccups didn't stop immediately. THANK GOD! lol. Never underestimate the power of "google magic". Although i am burping a little from swallowing that air all is good. Just thought i would share in case anyone gets the hiccups. :supergrin:

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
spoon full of sugar

If you add a little water to the sugar, you'd have the remedy my Grandmother used on all her grandkids.

·
Registered
7,065 Posts
I was at a party and had some horrible hiccups, I was drinking a bit.

At this particular party there were lots of hot chicks and a pool filled with jello which we wrestled in.

I needed to shake the hiccups so I could win at jello wrestling. So after trying sugar, water, etc I was left with one option.

See we had also been passing around two stun guns. We never knew who had them and you could be sipping a bourbon or beer and your buddies sister might come up and electrocute you, or your gf etc.

While I instructed my buddy and this hot girl to "Taze the crap out of me" with two guns. It was briefly uncomfortable and I writhed on the patio during it, but when I stood up I was fully cured!

So electricity cures hiccups.

This was about a month ago.:cool:

·
Señor Member
5,395 Posts
I tried all kinds of hiccup cures when I was a kid. They almost never worked.

I eventually learned to just take voluntary control over it, though, and with practice I almost stopped getting them in the first place. I hadn't thought about it for years until not that long ago, when a coworker mentioned a problem with hiccups. He almost didn't believe me, and I almost didn't believe that he never learned how.

On occasion it can take me a moment to "find my center", but I can stop them.

Stop, take a deep breath, find your center, and control your diaphragm.

·
Boat Life ©
13,038 Posts
Gonzoso -- I read the post without looking who the author was.

I was about to reply to "Beer"...

Sounded like one of his stories. :rofl:

·
Registered
44,126 Posts
Mouth full of water, stand on your head, swallow water, wait 10 seconds.

Hiccups are a diaphragm spasm due to air in your stomach. A good burp or moving that air pocket with the above method works well for most people.

·
getcha suma dat
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mouth full of water, stand on your head, swallow water, wait 10 seconds.

Hiccups are a diaphragm spasm due to air in your stomach. A good burp or moving that air pocket with the above method works well for most people.
Ok, ya that makes sense. That's sort like what i did minus the whole being upside down part. It worked right away though, that's what surprised. Didn't even get them from laughing or anything. I was coughing really bad and kind of choking at the same time. I knew right away i upset something and they lasted for quite a while.

·
Registered
44,126 Posts
That cough/choke probably got the diaphragmatic spasms started. Not the typical way they start. Probably why the were so persistent.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Plug your ears. Seriously...I went to google a few months ago because my usually options weren't working, including what the OP described.
I read that plugging your ears works, so I tried it and my hiccups were instantly gone. It was awesome. I was hanging out with my aunt a few days later and she had the hiccups, I told her to plug her ears...she thought I was nuts, but hers were gone immediately as well.

·
Registered
59,812 Posts
Hmm I have never had them for three hours but if I ever do I will have to remember that.

·
Devious Member
40,475 Posts
Plug your ears. Seriously...I went to google a few months ago because my usually options weren't working, including what the OP described.
I read that plugging your ears works, so I tried it and my hiccups were instantly gone. It was awesome. I was hanging out with my aunt a few days later and she had the hiccups, I told her to plug her ears...she thought I was nuts, but hers were gone immediately as well.
With what?

Your instructions suck

:tongueout:

·
Registered
260 Posts
a simple and easy way to stop hiccups is to strech the diaphram.
I start by inhaling slowly and as deep as I can while "lifting my shoulders" not expanding my adomen.
once I take in as much air as I can (hold it for few seconds), I then take in more air my expanding my abdomen again holding it for a few seconds
Then I relax my shoulders and abdomen and slowly release the air while pulling down my shoulders with my lats and constricting my adomen.

Seems to have a push/pull effect on my diaphram and stops my hiccups right away.
Sometimes it takes two or three times, but they do stop.
Along with a good head rush of O2 :)

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
With what?

Your instructions suck

:tongueout:
Oh, my bad.

Using index finger on right hand, touch the tragus on right ear. Using index finger on left hand, touch the tragus on left ear. Using firm pressure, simultaneously press both tragus against the ear canal. You will know you have done this correctly when all sounds are very muffled. Hold pressure for several seconds until hiccups are gone.

Better? :supergrin:

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Oh, my bad.

Using index finger on right hand, touch the tragus on right ear. Using index finger on left hand, touch the tragus on left ear. Using firm pressure, simultaneously press both tragus against the ear canal. You will know you have done this correctly when all sounds are very muffled. Hold pressure for several seconds until hiccups are gone.

Better? :supergrin:
...while using yer thumbs to hold yer nostrils shut. :supergrin:

·
Brass Vulture
10,265 Posts
I just take in a deep breath and hold it for as long as I can. Hiccups gone.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Have not had them more than a couple of seconds for years. When you hiccup, you are sucking in a tiny bit of air. To make this impossible, breathe in all the air your lungs can hold, even swallow more mouthfuls of air to fill them completely. Hold your breath with lungs full as long as you can. You will feel the urge to hiccup, but it can't happen with full lungs. Blow out and repeat 1 time if necessary.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
The best cure is to concentrate and tell a person that you're gonna hiccup. Just tell them right before you do it.

This has worked on everyone that has tried it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Old family trick is to bite a pencil with your back teeth, and drink a glass of water past it. It probably is more about the concentration involved, although it always worked for me (don't know if I could find a pencil today, though).

I tell friends, in a very serious tone: "Take as deep a breath as you can, pinch your nose closed...hold it for eight minutes...".
Takes a beat or two for the light bulb, although they would never have hiccups again!

·
Smartass Pilot
20,786 Posts
I eventually learned to just take voluntary control over it ... On occasion it can take me a moment to "find my center", but I can stop them. Stop, take a deep breath, find your center, and control your diaphragm.
Yep, that's what I do as well, but I just breathe normally (but deliberately) and focus on that I can stop them. If someone distracts then me I might have to start over, but other than that I've always been able to stop them at will.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts