Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Huge Member
11,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Many years ago I picked up an H&R single shot 12ga shotgun at a garage sale. It was missing the stock so I got it for $40. I bought a a stock off of ebay for $20. I mentioned it to a friend of mine who them proceeded to bring out about a dozen H&Rs all with cut down barrels. He's picked them up cheap over the years and cut the barrels down to the legal limit to use as walk in the woods guns. He then schooled me on swapping and fitting barrels and informed me that low pressure rifle barrels could be used on the cast iron shotgun receivers. He then brought out a 357 mag barrel that he got from a guy who cut it a fraction of an inch shy of the legal 16". My friend turned the barrel down, bored out an AR15 flash hider and welded/brazed it on to get to 16". He asked me if I want it. "Heck yeah" I said.

Made a cool little gun...

His idea of repurposing long barrel single shots to handy little walk in the woods guns struck a chord with me. I picked up a extra 12 and 20 ga barrel off of ebay (cheap back in the day) cut them down and fitted them to the receiver. Made a nice little set.

When you cut the barrels off you lose the front bead. I fixed that by adding a snap on fiber optic front sight. Shown with it on the 20 ga but I added one to the 12 ga bbl as well. The stock pouch hold 24 20ga or about 20 12 ga.

During the shutdown I picked up a Security Six and started reloading 357s again and testing them with my chronograph. That got me to drag out my Dan Wessons & barrels and the H&R barrel. My old eyes had trouble seeing the sights on the H&R barrel so I added a cheap 4x scope for testing loads.

I wanted another 357 rifle and the same buddy had a Timberwolf slide action he was willing to let go. When I went to pick it up I mentioned that I had been shooting the H&R 357. He said he had a 44 mag barrel he bought decades ago and never shot. If I wanted it I could have it for what he originally paid. "Heck yeah!" says I. The Timberwolf came with a take down case that he threw in. The H&R barrels and the receiver fit in the case.

I've since made a leather sling and stock cuff/ammo holder for the 357.

My buddy tends to cut all his barrels down but never got around to the 44 mag bbl. It's 22" long. I may eventually have him cut it down. It looks rather ungainly next to the 357 bbl. He has access to the machine shop at work (when he goes back to work) and does a good job with bbls.

I eventually dug out the shotgun barrels and all fit into the case.

As shown the case weighs 20.7 lbs without ammo.

Kinda cool that you can swap barrels on the H&R. Makes a nice set. Still would like to get some more of the rifle barrels. Only low pressure barrels will work on the cast iron shotgun receivers. They include most pistol cartridges, 30-30 win, 45-70 and similar. Unfortunately the prices of the barrels have skyrockeded since the singe shot H&Rs were discontinued.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
You can buy inserts, rifled or not, for various calibers to use in your shotgun barrels.

If your buddy has any more barrels he wants to get rid of, shoot me a PM, if you would.

Cool little gun you have there.

Reactions: billorights

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Nice work Mac and thanks for posting this.

From roughly 1968-1975 you could buy a H&R 'Topper' combo that was the basic receiver with a 20 gauge and 30-30 barrels, the rifle barrel having usable if rudimentary iron sights. Years ago I had a friend with one that shot quite well with the rifle barrel. What a great little gun to leave stashed away in the barn or hunting shack.

·
Huge Member
11,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I have another H&R 20 ga that my son picked up for me at a yard sale a couple summers ago for $70. It has a fairly thin barrel. It makes a pretty lightweight gun but the barrel is too long. I could fit the 44 bbl to it which would give me two rifles.

And I have to say that these things aren't fun to shoot with the 12 ga barrel. Kicks like a mule. Even though they take 3" shells, I've never shot a 3 incher through one and I hope I never will.

The 20 ga and 357 barrel is fairly mild to shoot even with stiff loads. I've not shot the 44 mag bbl yet.

Reactions: alwaysshootin

·
woo woo
31,153 Posts
I have dads topper 158 12ga....it needs lot of help. Dad fell off the porch years ago and sheared the hammer sear, so I took it to repair that.
Then Parker got hold of it and chewed the stock pretty good.....so the poor thing has sat in the corner for a few years.
I need to order pretty much all the lockwork and a new stock at this point. Because it's dads, I'm not going to replace it.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
I have my Dad's Topper "Long Tom" 32" 16 gauge. He got it as a kid in the 1940s. My brother and I learned to hunt with that gun.

My brother left it in a canvass case and it picked up some corrosion. I've just cleaned up as much as possible and it's sitting and waiting for me to get back around to it as a project.

Nice lil set you have going. Thanks for sharing it. I'll bet you're going to get more than a couple of walks down Memory Lane with this thread. :)

·
Huge Member
11,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have dads topper 158 12ga....it needs lot of help. Dad fell off the porch years ago and sheared the hammer sear, so I took it to repair that.
Then Parker got hold of it and chewed the stock pretty good.....so the poor thing has sat in the corner for a few years.
I need to order pretty much all the lockwork and a new stock at this point. Because it's dads, I'm not going to replace it.
There are lots of parts for these things on ebay. They used to be dirt cheap, not so much anymore but occasionally if you're patient you can sometimes find them at a decent price.

Reactions: Berto

·
woo woo
31,153 Posts
There are lots of parts for these things on ebay. They used to be dirt cheap, not so much anymore but occasionally if you're patient you can sometimes find them at a decent price.
I need to make it a project, what you've been able to do is an inspiration. :beer:

·
Huge Member
11,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have my Dad's Topper "Long Tom" 32" 16 gauge. He got it as a kid in the 1940s. My brother and I learned to hunt with that gun.

My brother left it in a canvass case and it picked up some corrosion. I've just cleaned up as much as possible and it's sitting and waiting for me to get back around to it as a project.

Nice lil set you have going. Thanks for sharing it. I'll bet you're going to get more than a couple of walks down Memory Lane with this thread. :)
The frames for the 12, 16 and 20 ga are all the same so you can swap barrels within the same kind pretty easily. I think the Topper and models 158, 148 and others are the same.

·
Huge Member
11,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
And here's my other 20 ga.

Just an FYI, all the older shotguns made before 1988 or so have cast iron frames. The newer shotguns also had cast iron frames but are marked SB1. Cast iron frames, as I mentioned can take low pressure rifle barrels. When H&R/NEF came out with the "Handi Rifles" they had steel frames. They are marked SB2. They can take any rifle and shotgun barrels. However any barrel you buy must be fitted to the frame/receiver by filing the barrel catch so it will lock up. Too little and it won't lock up, too much and it will open when you fire it, which ain't a good thing!

Bottom line, if your frame/receiver isn't marked and/or is color case hardened like the photos, or is marked SB1 it is a cast iron frame and shouldn't be used for high pressure barrels (most modern cartridges based on 223, 308, 30-06, military cartridges etc, etc are high pressure). Don't remember what the pressure threshold is but generally most but not all pistol cartridges and those originally based on black powder (30-30, 45-70 etc) can be used.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Had a few of them years ago. Sold them off. While browsing the local gun show a few years ago, came across a Talo limited edition in .357 with an 18 1/2" barrel. Sent it in, and got a .44 mag barrell fitted for it. Sold it a couple years later. Dumdass move. Wish I'd kept it.

DII_8207w.jpg

·
Registered
13,546 Posts
I love to looks of the short barrel single shots. I bought a NEF 20ga. Last year and cut barrel to 20" and put a stick on fiber optic on it.

·
NRA Life Member
5,794 Posts
Many years ago I picked up an H&R single shot 12ga shotgun at a garage sale. It was missing the stock so I got it for $40. I bought a a stock off of ebay for $20. I mentioned it to a friend of mine who them proceeded to bring out about a dozen H&Rs all with cut down barrels. He's picked them up cheap over the years and cut the barrels down to the legal limit to use as walk in the woods guns. He then schooled me on swapping and fitting barrels and informed me that low pressure rifle barrels could be used on the cast iron shotgun receivers. He then brought out a 357 mag barrel that he got from a guy who cut it a fraction of an inch shy of the legal 16". My friend turned the barrel down, bored out an AR15 flash hider and welded/brazed it on to get to 16". He asked me if I want it. "Heck yeah" I said.

Made a cool little gun...

His idea of repurposing long barrel single shots to handy little walk in the woods guns struck a chord with me. I picked up a extra 12 and 20 ga barrel off of ebay (cheap back in the day) cut them down and fitted them to the receiver. Made a nice little set.

When you cut the barrels off you lose the front bead. I fixed that by adding a snap on fiber optic front sight. Shown with it on the 20 ga but I added one to the 12 ga bbl as well. The stock pouch hold 24 20ga or about 20 12 ga.

During the shutdown I picked up a Security Six and started reloading 357s again and testing them with my chronograph. That got me to drag out my Dan Wessons & barrels and the H&R barrel. My old eyes had trouble seeing the sights on the H&R barrel so I added a cheap 4x scope for testing loads.

I wanted another 357 rifle and the same buddy had a Timberwolf slide action he was willing to let go. When I went to pick it up I mentioned that I had been shooting the H&R 357. He said he had a 44 mag barrel he bought decades ago and never shot. If I wanted it I could have it for what he originally paid. "Heck yeah!" says I. The Timberwolf came with a take down case that he threw in. The H&R barrels and the receiver fit in the case.

I've since made a leather sling and stock cuff/ammo holder for the 357.

My buddy tends to cut all his barrels down but never got around to the 44 mag bbl. It's 24" long. I may eventually have him cut it down. It looks rather ungainly next to the 357 bbl. He has access to the machine shop at work (when he goes back to work) and does a good job with bbls.

I eventually dug out the shotgun barrels and all fit into the case.

As shown the case weighs 20.7 lbs without ammo.

Kinda cool that you can swap barrels on the H&R. Makes a nice set. Still would like to get some more of the rifle barrels. Only low pressure barrels will work on the cast iron shotgun receivers. They include most pistol cartridges, 30-30 win, 45-70 and similar. Unfortunately the prices of the barrels have skyrockeded since the singe shot H&Rs were discontinued.
I love your thread and am a huge H&R fan myself. I have a dozen or so in various gauges and calibers, all unaltered. Some of my very favorite guns. My first gun was a topper jr 20 gauge, got it for Christmas around 1973. Very special Christmas that year.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Wow!! Great thread OP.... You got my attention quickly... You posted “kinda cool”, I’m saying like “totally cool”!!! Thanks for posting....

·
Registered
136 Posts
My deer gun for many years now has been a stock H&R Ultra Slug Hunter. 12 gauge rifled barrel made from a 10 gauge barrel blank as I understand it. I paid $210 for it new. For a slug gun, the thing is a tack driver. I’ve harvested MANY Illinois whitetails (and made a lot of great memories) with it over the years. The guys in my deer hunting group kid me that they want me to leave it to them in my will. It’s a shame they’re not made any longer. The local gunshop will get a used one in once and a while, and usually gets $500 for it.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I always thought one of those in .45-70 would be a hoot.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I’ve got a Topper in 20 gauge. Got it as a gift in 1969 from my mom. She even brought it to school to let me see it. Couldn’t do this today!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts