Glock Talk banner

My Goofy Colt HBAR

2269 34
She's a weird one. She's a post Bush/Pre Clinton HBAR Sporter transitional. I'm 6'7" with broad shoulders so I added a stock spacer, 1" buttpad and a Pachmayer grip.

She has the pinned in hardened steel block to prevent a full auto conversion.

But unlike the vast majority from this era she's a small pin variant. From what i understand very rare. Which means that there's no aftermarket trigger groups that fit. She's stupid accurate but has an atrocious trigger pull. And because the trigger group is only surface hardened there's nothing that can be done to improve it. Oh well
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

· Premium Member
42,447 Posts
Last piece of advice I’ll give on this.

Do some research for yourself. This “drill and press out” idea has been tried in the past and it has failed. Only safe way is to have it milled out from the inside. Your rifle, your money, your project.

Best of luck to you.

· NRA Life Member
13,809 Posts
Last piece of advice I’ll give on this.

Do some research for yourself. This “drill and press out” idea has been tried in the past and it has failed. Only safe way is to have it milled out from the inside. Your rifle, your money, your project.

Best of luck to you.
Listen to him...this is correct. The only reliable way to do this is to mill it out. The pins do NOT go all the way through...

· Registered
4,577 Posts
What sort of pins hold the upper and lower together? Are they the oversize ones with the screw in front of the magazine, or are they standard pins?
It would seem to me that replacing the lower (and saving the original for collector purposes) would be a fix, and even if your rifle takes the SP-1 type pins, another lower should be a possibility.
Moon

· Banned
4,795 Posts
I like Colt slab side receivers. They look cleaner.

I have a large-pin receiver. My MK18 upper fits it like a vault.

· Banned
4,795 Posts
He said thee he would drill out the center of the pin then use hydraulic pressure to push it out.
IIRC, there were a couple of ways they were held in. I saw one that was held by a pin installed from underneath. I wouldn't remove it unless you had to. If you have to, be careful.

· Banned
4,795 Posts
I mean a small pin lower. As opposed to a large pin lower.
I think "standard" means push-pin. The slab sides don't have the spring/detente for the pin, so they unscrew.

· Banned
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I think "standard" means push-pin. The slab sides don't have the spring/detente for the pin, so they unscrew.
I replace the screw in pin with a spring loaded push button thingy. So the upper and lower can be completely separated. Otherwise cleaning and maintenance required 3 hands.

· Banned
4,795 Posts
I'm using a conversion bushing. The only drawback is that it won't the upper to hinge forward far enough for cleaning. I have to take it completely off.

Reactions: Boogieman

· Registered
4,577 Posts
I have no personal experience with the older Colts with screw-on pins to hold them together, save for being aware that they exist. I have heard of the conversion bushings, tho'....presume they would let you mate your upper with a garden-variety lower for use, and save the pinned lower for possible collector interest.
Moon

Reactions: Boogieman
21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.