Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She's a weird one. She's a post Bush/Pre Clinton HBAR Sporter transitional. I'm 6'7" with broad shoulders so I added a stock spacer, 1" buttpad and a Pachmayer grip.

She has the pinned in hardened steel block to prevent a full auto conversion.

But unlike the vast majority from this era she's a small pin variant. From what i understand very rare. Which means that there's no aftermarket trigger groups that fit. She's stupid accurate but has an atrocious trigger pull. And because the trigger group is only surface hardened there's nothing that can be done to improve it. Oh well

·
Banned
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Geissele makes triggers that will fit and are the cats meow..if you don't mind the wallet smoking a little.
I tried and it didn't fit. Not a drop in unit but the separate hammer and sear. The block is too big. They do make one for the large pin receiver though.

·
Banned
45,580 Posts
I tried and it didn't fit. Not a drop in unit but the separate hammer and sear. The block is too big. They do make one for the large pin receiver though.
The small pin kit doesnt work? That sucks.

Reactions: Boogieman

·
Banned
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Block is too big?

Which trigger did you try?

I’m rather sure the SSA and SSA-E fits just fine
I tried the set that Geissele recommended. It didn't fit. Not without milling the steel block out. At which point I believe the drop in unit would work.

What's an SSA and SSA-E?

·
Premium Member
42,337 Posts
Those are Geissele triggers.

While I wouldn’t recommend it, you could remove your trigger and send it to Bill Springfield for a trigger job.

Personally, I’d mill that darn block.....what trigger did you try to install?

Reactions: halfmoonclip

·
Registered
14,351 Posts
I had my Bushmaster A2 (circa 1998) out to the range today. Every time I get it out of the safe, I think about replacing the stock trigger. Its a challenge for a retired man to shoot @ 200 yards in the snow, plastic kitty litter jugs filled with water. With open sights. Sitting unsupported on the ground.

·
Banned
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those are Geissele triggers.

While I wouldn’t recommend it, you could remove your trigger and send it to Bill Springfield for a trigger job.

Personally, I’d mill that darn block.....what trigger did you try to install?
From The Geissele Website
"All Geissele small-pin triggers will fit into small-pin Colt receivers with a pinned-in sear block if the sear block is removed. Very few small-pin receivers with pinned-in sear blocks were made)."

I will contact Bill Springfield. Maybe he has an idea what will work. But I was told that the factory parts were surface hardened and can't be altered without re heat treating. I have all of the original parts so bringing her back to factory isn't a problem. Because of her rarity I might sell her to a collector that needs one of everything and pick up something else. But she shoots so well it's a tough decision.

·
Premium Member
42,337 Posts
Those rifles with the receivers blocks never were super collectible. On a good day, you might $1250 out of that model 6601.

Your gun, your call.

·
Banned
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That sure is a quirky frankenrifle.

But if it is scary accurate have a ton-o-fun with it.
Not really a Frankenrifle. Other than the stock extensions and pistol grip she's all Colt. And yes, I do have a ton of fun with her. She groups SS109/M855 like it was made for her. And pretty accurate with lighter weights as well. It's just that darn trigger. Lots of take up then a long, gritty, creepy pull.

·
Banned
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Those rifles with the receivers blocks never were super collectible. On a good day, you might $1250 out of that model 6601.

Your gun, your call.
Colt said that there may have been as few as 20 small pin receiver blocked HBAR's like her. But rarity isn't nearly as valuable as demand. I'll see what Bill Springfield says before I decide.

·
Banned
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In the sn
I had my Bushmaster A2 (circa 1998) out to the range today. Every time I get it out of the safe, I think about replacing the stock trigger. Its a challenge for a retired man to shoot @ 200 yards in the snow, plastic kitty litter jugs filled with water. With open sights. Sitting unsupported on the ground.
In the snow? When it gets below 50F I don't leave the house. :)

·
NRA Life Member
13,470 Posts
This is how Colt treated law abiding gun owners back in the day...

How's that for MILSPEC!

ADCO will remove the bloc for you for $95 but you will still have the hole in the side of the receiver from the pin to cover up...I think they have something for that as well. It ruins the collector value but who wants a reminder of a company that wouldn't trust gun owners in the first place.

The issue with this type of block folks is it blocks the use from installing the trigger/disconnector...there's not enough room to get the old part out or put the new one in. The pin that holds it in cannot simply be pressed out. It must be milled out enough that it falls out.

Communist bastards...

·
Banned
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is how Colt treated law abiding gun owners back in the day...

How's that for MILSPEC!

ADCO will remove the bloc for you for $95 but you will still have the hole in the side of the receiver from the pin to cover up...I think they have something for that as well. It ruins the collector value but who wants a reminder of a company that wouldn't trust gun owners in the first place.

The issue with this type of block folks is it blocks the use from installing the trigger/disconnector...there's not enough room to get the old part out or put the new one in. The pin that holds it in cannot simply be pressed out. It must be milled out enough that it falls out.

Communist bastards...
One fellow said that he could press the pins out with hydraulic pressure leaving the block intact. I just don't know if I want to remove it. Sad part is that if she were a large pin model there are several options.

·
NRA Life Member
13,470 Posts
One fellow said that he could press the pins out with hydraulic pressure leaving the block intact. I just don't know if I want to remove it. Sad part is that if she were a large pin model there are several options.
if you get rid of the block you can use the standard ar15 triggers including the drop in models like timney

·
Premium Member
42,337 Posts
One fellow said that he could press the pins out with hydraulic pressure leaving the block intact....

1st off, find a new gunsmith, because that guy will ruin your rifle.

The Colt sear block is a press fit, so it’s rather tight. The PINS, yes, plural, are installed & pressed in from each side. The sear block is does NOT have a hole machined all the way threough for the pins. This prevents a gunhack from simply pressing the PINS from the receiver, releasing the block.

DO NOT attempt to press the pins out with a press, it WILL ruin the receiver.

Reactions: Atomic Punk

·
Banned
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1st off, find a new gunsmith, because that guy will ruin your rifle.

The Colt sear block is a press fit, so it’s rather tight. The PINS, yes, plural, are installed & pressed in from each side. The sear block is does NOT have a hole machined all the way threough for the pins. This prevents a gunhack from simply pressing the PINS from the receiver, releasing the block.

DO NOT attempt to press the pins out with a press, it WILL ruin the receiver.
He said thee he would drill out the center of the pin then use hydraulic pressure to push it out.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.