close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My Glock Mistakes and Successes.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by zathael, Jan 7, 2012.

1. zathael

zathael

Mistakes:
    1. Selling it. (But I got it back!)
    2. White Lithium Grease. ( Slows down the slide. )
    3. Over lubrication. ( Throws fluid like an infant. )
    4. Titanium Striker. ( Only good for light primers/comp shooting. )
    5. Aluminum Trigger ( Pinches the shooting finger. )
    6. Not buying extra parts. ( Spring cups. Those who have been there know! )
    7. Over cleaning the Glock. ( Waste of time and materials. It's a Glock! )

Successes:
    1. Tungsten Guide Rod. ( 425% heavier then the plastic and will not wear, chip or give in to warping like the plastic guide rod. Provides recoil control. )
    2. 3.5 lb connector.
    3. New York #1 Trigger Spring. ( Lasts longer and will not "stretch" out like the original. )
    4. Titanium Plunger
    5. Extended Slide Release.
    6. Microlon Gun Oil and grease
    7. XS Sights
    8. Sandpaper Grip Decals. ( I own a Gen 3, not a 4! )
    9. Having spare parts for everything!

Have something you would like to add or comment on?

2. barth

barth six barrels

Questions / Comments? LOL

I'm new to Glocks. Just Got a Talo Special Edition EXO G27/40.
    And still in the process of feeling out and dialing in mine.
    Just finished that 1000 round getting to know you period.
    And ready to start making some choices.

Haven't made any of your mistakes.
    Mine.
    New G33/357 OEM barrel with chamber support - supports GDHP nose dive

Jury still out:
    Trigger: I'm having a Ghost Rocket 3.5 connector installed with factory springs.
    Have drop in Ghost 3.5 and OEM 3.5 "-" connectors, plus NY1 spring, on stand by if needed.

Getting two Storm Lake Barrels -
    1) Standard Stainless G27 40-9 conversion
    2) Extended 4.16", dual port, Isonite QPQ finish on stainless, G27 357 Sig.

Just looking for a fun to shoot gun.
    And maybe discover that ultimate configuration for SD along the way.
    Time will tell...

I think the biggest mistake I side stepped
    was buying a bunch of after market parts
    before getting that 1000 round range time in.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012

3. rick7938

rick7938

I have G21SF, G30SF, G36, G23, 2 X G19, G26.

Mistakes:

Spending money on aftermarket parts in search of improved accuracy.

Successes:

Selling aftermarket parts, returning the guns to stock, spending money on ammo to improve accuracy.

Snap caps and plenty of dry firing.

4. barth

barth six barrels

LOL!
    I do have that sinking feeling that,
    after all my fun and games,
    my G27 may well end up back factory stock.

And I'm OK with that...

5. rick7938

rick7938

Experimenting is fun. Coming from a 1911 background of 40 years, I couldn't shoot a Glock for beans. So, I sold all of my Colts except one sentimental favorite, and have just concentrated on learning the Glock trigger. In the meantime, I did try a lot of aftermarket parts trying to replicate the 1911 trigger, but just couldn't make it work.

Best of luck trying all the combinations. You may find that you are luckier than I.

6. Cowboy1629

Cowboy1629

I'm coming from the same place. I have carried 1911's in one form or another since Uncle Sam issued me one. I just recently purchased my first Glock a couple of months ago and after 1500 rounds through it I'm just starting to get the hang of the trigger. Wont give up my 1911's but I will be picking up more Glocks and will master the Glock trigger some day!

7. Quarter Tank

Quarter Tank

I just ordered a NY1 spring to go with my "-" connector.

IF the NY1 and "-" connector are such a good combo why dont they get more love?

8. Wawrz

Wawrz

My biggest mistake was selling my first glock 19 gen 3 (My first pistol I ever purchased when I turned 21 and got my ccp) It was a flawless gun and had great sentimental value to me. I guess I didn't realize it until 6 months later....:crying:

9. carloglock19

carloglock19

Successes:
    Buying lots of ammo

Mistakes:
    Not making it to the range as often as I would like

Only thing I'm thinking of adding to my EDC are some Talon grips.

10. ak103k

ak103k

Wow. I feel so.....bland. :)

All mine are stock, except for four Ive stippled. If they'd stuck to the first gen RTF, I probably wouldnt have bothered with the stippling.

11. Doughnutman_923

Doughnutman_923 Blessed Are The Peacemakers

Mistakes:
    1) Buying A LWD barrel for my G22:upeyes:
    2) Selling my G22 (first gun ever):crying:
    3) Buying ANY aftermarket parts EVER, seriously, I don't use any of them. :whistling:
    4) Messing with internals (.25 cent trigger job, etc. . .) :shocked:

Successes:
    1) Shooting Glocks :50cal:

12. porschedog

porschedog

+1 for the sandpaper grip decals. Best mod ever - cheap yet uber effective.

13. Bruce M

Bruce M

I'm curious as to how you measured the slide velocity...

Agreed.

14. carloglock19

carloglock19

I just ordered some today. Thats the way I looked at it as well: cheap mod and if I don't like it then it should be easy to remove.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

15. AK74play

AK74play

Simply because a good trigger is a personal thing. Frankly that set up literally sucks to me. Lot of different people like Glocks and their idea of a great trigger differs more ways than you can go to town. I have 18 Glocks and all are set up exactly the same way.
    1. Smooth triggers even in the compacts.
    2. Factory (-) connectors.
    3. 6 lb trigger springs.
    4 Reduced power firing pin springs.
    5. All metal contact surfaces lightly polished.

RESULTS,
    Smooth positive triggers with 3.lb brake and 100% reliability. Don't get any better than that FOR ME. Everybody is different and with a full 100+ yard range right behind my house I shoot a LOT. I probably shoot more in any given year than most do in a life time so this set up is tried and true. Never lost a single part, spring or otherwise (EXCEPT) broken a few factory guide rods, but thats another story and easily solved with stainless rods in all of them now.

Fact: Glock triggers are like boots, everybodies idea of a nice trigger is different. You can't change that.:wavey:

16. JonInWA

JonInWA

My formulae:

-Practice. Dry fire, live fire, competition (I prefer IDPA and GSSF), et al. Quite frankly, outside of replacing the OEM polymer sights, software skills acquisition and development are infinitely more desirable and useful than hardware parts replacements vis-a-vis my Glocks/shooting skills/abilities.

-Quality ammunition.

-Decent steel sights (Glock, Trijicon, and Warren are my choices)

-Glock extended slife stop/release

-Replacing OEM recoil spring assembly with OEM recoil spring assembly IAW recommended replacement interval-every 2.5-3K rounds.

-Annual examination and replacement of magazine springs as needed.

-Appropriation lubrication on appropriate lubrication points; my personal preferences are Weapon Shield and TW25B, and Mil-Comm's Bore Cleaner/Degreaser.

-An annual detailed disassembly and deep cleaning of all components.

-Judicious application of OEM connector and spring options; on my various Glocks, I use the standard connector, the "minus" connector, and the "dot" connector; and the standard coil trigger spring or the NY1 spring.

-Judicious trigger bar applications: On my Glocks, I use either the Gen 3 triggerbar or a Gen 3.5 triggerbar. All of my triggerbar assemblies have the smooth trigger.

-Only OEM Glock magazines are utilized in my Glocks.

-Only quality holsters (and that doesn't necessarily mean "break the bank" holsters) are used to carry my Glocks: Blade-Tech, Glock, Safariland, DeSantis and Bianchi are my personal preferences.

-Only quality magazine pouches are used: Wilderness, Bianchi, Blade-Tech, Orca

-The only after-market grip enhancement that I've found desirable and effective is a segment of a mountain bicycle inner tube cut to size and stretched over the large-frame receiver of my G21. It provides a non-slip grip, doesn't grab on garnments or print, and is exceptionally slim-and it doesn't slip or slide around on the receiver in use.

-Glock Armorer's Course: Excellent knowledge and real-world applications provided for a quite nominal fee

-Taylor's The Glock In Competition and PTOOMA's The Complete Glock Reference Guide, in addition to the Glock Armorer's Course/Manual, Plaxco's Shooting From Within, and Bassham's With Winning In Mind and Kirsch's Thinking Practical Shooting are excellent hands-on reference sources, as are the various writings of Ayoob, Suarez, Farnham, and Enos to name a few.

-This forum, www.M4carbine.net, and www.pistol-forum.com (and www.pistol-training.com) are excellent web sites.

Best, Jon

17. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

I've done none of those and have had no problems. My olders glock is 17 years old and the only addition was night sights. I did put a siderlock on my Glock 26 and it works well, otherwise no additions. I clean it when I think it needs it and only put a tiny bit of lub. Never had any problems and it still shoots just as well and accurately as the day I bought it.

18. darkdan

darkdan

Ditto. Wouldn't feed, then they removed all the chamber support, then took 6 months to get it replaced. Ended up paying about $200 for a nice paper weight.

19. AgentM79

AgentM79 Platinum Member

Failures:

G30 (pre-rail) - couldn't make it work reliably with hollow points. It even choked on FMJ occasionally. Wasted money purchasing new magazines and springs. Wasted even more money on premium duty ammo in attempt to verify that the gun would fire 200 malfunction-free rounds. It never succeeded.

G32 (Gen2) - choked on everything. One of the worst guns I've ever owned. Glock OEM 10-round magazines may have been partially to blame, although it choked with pre-ban G23 magazines, too. Wasted much money on expensive ammo, and by adding Trijicon sights prior to any testing. Never got through two magazines without a malfunction, let alone 200 rounds. I still have the ammo, and am waiting for a used Sig Sauer .357Sig to wander into my local gun shop.

Biggest Mistake: Not purchasing Gen1 G17 and G17L when they were still available locally in new or like-new condition.

Successes:

G17 (Gen2) - Purchased used. Added red Hi-Viz tactical front sight and Glock OEM steel 6.9 rear (discarded Glock OEM steel 6.5 rear and crimp-on steel OEM front sight that kept shooting loose). Also added a Glock OEM extended slide stop lever, "black" NY-1 trigger spring, LWD Quik-Grip, and a Glock OEM slide cover plate engraved with my rank and shield number. Proven in the crucible of a 3-day Glock Instructor Workshop. Carried almost daily since 2007. Pure perfection.

G21 (Gen3) - Purchased used. Already had Glock OEM tritium sights installed. Added a Glock OEM extended slide stop lever and Pearce frame plug. Nothing else required. Pachmayr tactical grip-glove briefly utilized and discarded. Erased bad memories of G30.

G17 (Gen1) - Purchased used, but like-new. Left it the hell alone! Has standard Glock OEM fixed polymer sights and OEM non-captured recoil spring assembly. Queen-of-the-safe.

G26 - Issued with Glock OEM night sights and olive NY-1 trigger spring. Added Glock OEM extended slide stop lever, Pearce frame plug, and Pearce fingertip extender to in-gun magazine. Pure perfection.

I'm all for customized guns, but I couldn't ask for more from my four "success story" Glock pistols.

20. JBP55

JBP55

Because most shooters do not like a 7# Glock trigger. :cool: