My Glock 43 shooting low, SOLVED!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Buckshot Barry, Sep 15, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Buckshot Barry

Buckshot Barry

Had my G43 to the outdoor range twice prior to today and thought it was shooting about 6" low at 8" plates 39 feet out with 115 grain target ammo. Today I went back to the range to reanalyze the problem. Took my Glock 34, 35, and 26 to compare.

In a nutshell, the G43 is fine, it was me.

34, 35, and 26 hit just fine today. During my G43 test with multiple misses, I got to the end of the first box and only had 1 round left. So I fired that 1 round and the slide did not lock back. So then I started testing with just 1 round in the mag and was having repeated slide lock back failures.

So I started tightening my grip and got to the point where the slide would always lock back with a single round in the magazine as it should. Really wasn't aiming during this part of the test, watching the slide more than anything.

Took my now improved, tighter, thumbs forward, grip and am hitting the plates in the center.,

I think the 43 may be harder to grip than other double stack Glocks.

2. snowbird.40

snowbird.40

Buckshot - Bingo! Same issue last weekend at an IDPA match on 2-3 occasions, along with a couple other issues related to pulling down, which I hope to alleviate with a Ghost Edge connector. Gotta keep that right thumb above the slide catch/release.

3. slammed1990

slammed1990

Just recently got my 43 and its an awsome little carry piece.when i first took it to the range it was repeatedly doing this to me .i dont know about you but i have fairly big hands and i kinda have to climb up and regain my grip every few shots with it being so small.i recommend having the girl/wife film somewhat close to you with her iphone or galaxy until you get one and then replay it back in slow motion.i noticed that sometimes it would recoil alittle harder because of loosend grip and the slide release would bump my thumb and stop it from locking.not garunteeing this is your problem but a nice place to start ruling things out

4. njl

njl Crusty Member

Try shooting a G42. If you think the 43 doesn't provide enough gun to grip, the 42 is worse. I haven't figured out a grip that works for me on the 42.

5. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

I'm confused or misunderstanding something. You WANT your slide to lock back while there is still ammo in it? I want mine to lock back when the mag is empty.

6. nraman

nraman

He meant after firing the single round he loaded in the magazine.

7. GoFasterrrr

GoFasterrrr

8. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

Now I understand. Thanks.

9. Buckshot Barry

Buckshot Barry

Sorry for the confusion.

I place only 1 round in the magazine, load, squeeze the trigger, bang, slide should lock back.

If I have anything less than the tightest grip, the slide would fail to lock back after firing that round about 50% of the time.

With a super tight hold with my average size hand and #8 ring size, the slide locked back 100% of the time and my 115 grain factory target loads hit at POA at 39 feet.

10. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

Sounds like you're not the only one who has to use a tighter grip. You said the other people that shot the 115 gr also shot low. Every once in a while, someone mentions loose grip and the flies are on the stink, quick. It is real with pistols set up to shoot hotter ammo. Good job figuring it out.

Buckshot Barry likes this.
  11. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

Makes me nervous. I was planning on buying one for my wife after I make sure all the bugs are worked out. She doesn't have a death grip.

12. HGxyz

HGxyz

Look up (I think it was) the NutAndFancy video on the G43 someone posted a few days ago. His wife was doing just fine with a cup and saucer grip.

13. Buckshot Barry

Buckshot Barry

FWIW, after about 200 rounds I never experienced any malfunctions no matter which grip I used.

I only had to use the Hulk grip to get the best accuracy at 39 feet. Smaller hands may be better too for the 43. There is just a lot of void space when I go to grip it, where my G26 fills my hand just fine.

I would like to thank all that have commented on this thread.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  14. slammed1990

slammed1990

Its just the last round. Its not that bad dont let that deter you its not like most people will be getting into firefights where u have to reload (if you get into one at all).other than that 100% reliability for me my first day out with 400 rounds and 5 different types of ammo.if your getting it for your wife have her try one first tho it is a fairly snappy 9mm

15. zaitcev

zaitcev

You can throw Strike Industries +2 bottoms on the mags, which may help her out. Of course those make it harder to conceal, unless in her purse.

16. MedicineBow

MedicineBow Formerly TFLWYO

I won't carry a gun until I can fire it with carry ammo using the weakest grip I can manage without fear of dropping the gun. I intentionally weak wrist and bend the wrist using only one hand both left and right handed. I also fire from the retention position. I have not had a problem with the G43 using 124 grain standard velocity Speer Gold Dots or Buffalo Bore +P 147 grain hard casts. I tried to get my wife to try the same thing and she is just not as enthusiastic about a total limp wrist, but she has had no trouble, either, with a less-than-perfect grip. If I recall correctly, the gun has fired and then properly cycled 100% using all ammo, although I had some issues feeding from slide lock using the slide stop lever very early on.

17. MedicineBow

MedicineBow Formerly TFLWYO

One guy I know who shot my gun and couldn't get the slide to lock back most of the time was an avid 1911 shooter and was riding the slide stop and preventing it from engaging the magazine.

18. GlockFan7

GlockFan7

With the 42 and 43, I have to pull the trigger with the joint of my finger instead of the pad. Same with my all my other micro handguns. I'm not going for long range, usually only about 5 to 10 yards.

19. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

Same here--I don't use magazine or grip extenders on my carry stuff, so I practice regularly with all of them. I also use the first crease to be on the trigger, instead of the pad of my finger, especially for small guns like LCP, G42, G43, Shield. XD-S is fat enough to shoot normally for me.

20. sns3guppy

sns3guppy

My G43 shoots to point of aim. No excessive grip, no holding a thumb above the slide release. It doesn't matter if one round or six (or seven). It shoots to the same place each time, it's easily controlled, doesn't knock knuckles. The magazines don't hang up, and in 1,500 rounds, it's been trouble free with a variety of ammunition.

I think you may find that a death grip isn't warranted after all. It's hard to be accurate, fast, and in control of a handgun with too tight a grip.

Buckshot Barry likes this.