close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My Glock 23 is BROKE!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Guns equal Freedom, Nov 30, 2002.

1. Guns equal Freedom

Guns equal Freedom

:(
    I did some shooting last night, nothing different or strange. When I was walking up to the garage I felt something "fall" inside of my pant leg (I carry IWB).
    I didn't think anything of it.
    This morning I went into the garage to clean up the Glock and lube it up. I removed the mag, pointed my muzzle into my 5 gallon bucket of sand (yes, I have one of those) and pulled the slide back. I dropped the chambered round and then let the slide fall back. I pulled the trigger so I could lift up on the slide retainer bar, but before I could do anything the slide dropped off the frame and onto the bench!
    When I looked at the frame I found that the slide retaining bar was GONE! A bunch of little parts fell out of the gun (I don't have a diagram or a photo will all of the correct names of the parts).
    I can't figure out what happened.
    I remembered the feeling of something going down my leg and i thought it might be a part of the pistol. I walked over to where I was walking when I felt it and I did find a small piece. I can't find the slide retaining bar and I have idea what else I am missing.

So is Glock going to fix this for me?

How long does Glock take to fix these problems?

Is this a common occurance with Glocks?

I would like to know as I trust my families life to Glock.

Thanks.

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Your incident is rare and of course Glock will fix it for you.

3. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

4. Guns equal Freedom

Guns equal Freedom

DOD, thanks for that link.

I am missing the slide lock itself.
    The slide lock spring has broken into three pieces, I found one inside of the gun when I shook it, I found one on the ground near where I felt something in my pant lag, the other is missing with the slide lock.

I have no idea what would have caused the slide lock spring to break, it probably broke first and fell out and then the slide lock fell out.

Is there anyplace I can buy this stuff on line?

I'll check Brownells.

Thanks again for the help.

5. Sniper 7.62

Sniper 7.62

If you send the gun back to Glock I'm sure that thay will go over it and replace what ever needs replaced just send a letter of explantion with it as well as a return FFL and let them work on it. Give them a call Monday in the am and talk to them first brfore you send it away. (Just MO I could be wrong) Sniper

6. iiloveguns

iiloveguns

That's pretty scary. Glock do recommend periodic spring replacements, don't they? I've never heard of that happening, but now I see how it could..that pistol might have been disassembled a lot or just had constant friction against the slide lock...

7. Steve Koski

Steve Koski Got Insurance? Millennium Member

G=F,
    Slide lock spring breakage is not that rare, unfortunately. It happened to me, and a Glocker friend of mine. Actually, it is one of the more common Glock parts breakages.

All you need is for Glock to send you a new slide lock spring and a new slide lock. It's pretty simple to install them yourself, and it beats shipping them back to Glock.

Some slide lock springs last forever, some break. Go figure.

Koski

8. FA

FA

The slide lock spring often breaks in my G23's and has broken in my G36.

This is a common occurrence (at least in G23's) depending on the amount you shoot and the type of ammo.

Preventive maintainence (i.e. replacing slide lock spring at regular intervals) will prevent this occurrence.

I have found that the gun will still operate even after the slide lock spring breaks, but would only do so in an emergency as I suspect to do so is unsafe and/or could cause unnecessary wear/tear on the gun.

Best wishes,

fa

9. J Wilson

J Wilson Guest

I had a G23 slide lock spring break after 8995 rounds. It (the slide lock) fell off at the range and I didn't notice it until I got home and went to clean it. I called Glock and after the rep. moaned a little about being qualified to install it, he agreed to send a replacement spring and lock. It got here in about 4 days. About a month later, I spotted the offending slide lock while picking up my brass. Now I have a spare lock.

10. Jacksons Dad

Jacksons Dad

Has anyone seen a recommendation from Glock on how often this spring should be replaced? If not what is the going recommendation from the board?