close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

my girlfriend and her pit bull....

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by superspud, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Bruce M

Bruce M

I would at least take a big step back. I would be afraid if we cannot come to terms over a dog there may well later be even bigger issues that would draw us apart. I have never been married; I live my married life vicariously through my married friends and acquaintances.

2. Captain Steinbrenner

Captain Steinbrenner

How the dog gets along with your dog?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

3. true believer

true believer Super Moderator Moderator

get rid of your dog? if she ask you would you?

4. Bruce M

Bruce M

I am far from an expert on dogs, but to me that seems like a clue.

5. packinaglock

packinaglock John 3:16

There are good and bad dogs of all breeds, my pit is the most sweetest big baby I've ever seen. I wouldn't put much faith in watching the house while I'm gone. He is good at laying on the couch watching chick shows with the wife so I don't have to. For taking that bullet he is my best bud.

6. myrc

myrc

After reading this I'm not entirely sure that you're wrong on your stance. Some dogs are broken mentally -- ones that are aggressive towards people are intolerable.

Personally, I've been there. My girlfriend wanted me to give up my dog initially (Gshep rescue that is aggressive towards other dogs). I gave her the ultimatum, that I would not. We have moved on in our relationship and now she loves my dog.

I would never stand for a dog that showed erratic behavior towards people though. Especially a powerful dog...

I believe that neither of you can compromise on this without giving something up that they believe in. She loves the dog... period. You don't trust the dog, know it is aggressive and dangerous.

You know what you need to do. Sorry man.

7. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

This.

Do her a favor and never darken her door again.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  8. superspud

superspud Ninja

so aside from the fact that the dog is unpredictable, i would never want to have kids with any pit bull around, let alone this one... we both work 12'ish hours a day, the dog would have to be inside all day long, most likely in my spare bedroom since it has an appetite for leather couches... the main thing ive tried to drive home to her is that its unfair to the dog. a big dog should not have to live inside all the time, especially in a spare bedroom.

problem is, she cant even live in a regular apartment with this dog, most apartments in the area dont allow pit bulls so even if we wanted to "postpone" things for a while, she'd have to live in a **** hole apartment if she wanted to keep it.

oh well, i appreciate all the feedback guys. i certainly wasnt expecting everyone to side with me, thats why i made this thread to see both sides of things.

9. Never Nervous

Never Nervous

There is a message in there for you somewhere.

NN

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  10. Trapped_in_Kali

Trapped_in_Kali

I know the Pit Bull lovers will attack me for this but...........
    As a dog lover I say you're right.
    I have had friends with Pit Bulls and have played with them and had no problems but I personally would not plan to have & raise kids around a Pit Bull (or any other breed that has been bread for aggressiveness).
    All animals can and will at times act impulsively & irrationally and "fighting breeds" of dogs have a tendency to do this more often than other breeds.
    Yes a Goldie might eat your child's face off but IMHO a Pit Bull or Rottweiler is more likely to do it.
    In my personal experience your Dachshund is probably much more aggressive but is able to do far less damage than a Pit Bull.

11. true believer

true believer Super Moderator Moderator

:rofl:

maybe she loves the dog more and he is jealous!!
    :whistling:

12. kiole

kiole

What would you do if she asked you to get rid of all your guns as she wasn't comfortable having them around future children?

13. *ASH*

*ASH* RRRDS

both of you need to get rid of your dogs . or break up . personally i would have the same problem , i had friends with pitt problems, family , etc and i wont be around them.

14. *ASH*

*ASH* RRRDS

thats apple to oranges . guns dont attack people , and when left alone in the house are fine .

15. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

Break up with her and send me her phone number. It sounds like she needs someone more mature to date her.

Oh and by the way, if she asked you to give up your prized possessions(guns for example) would you do that?

16. ray9898

ray9898

Not at all...it is her pet you are talking about that she is obviously emotionally attached to. If you cannot accommodate her along with her pet and are "drawing your line in the sand" over something so insignificant then I see nothing but bad things in the future.

17. superspud

superspud Ninja

yep, she's stated and ive agreed that dachshunds are "more aggressive and protective" than pits. however if a dachshund goes ballistic on you, you have a few scrapes, if a pit does, you're dead....
    we met each other through a mutual friend, i've been very open about my guns all along so we wouldnt even be at the point we are now if that was an issue.... but then again, ive known about her dog also, just never really realized it was going to come to this until somewhat recently. kind of just thought of it as a dog, not a huge ordeal....

not a bad idea. i'd be all for that actually. i love the hell out of my dog but wont let it get in the way of the rest of my life...

18. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

I can understand where you are coming from. We had a dog when my oldest son was young, but it just wasn't a good situation. It basically came down to this, we neglected the dog (not criminally, just didn't play with him or let him in the house much or walk him much) because our focus was on our kid(s) and although he was a good dog, he wasn't a good dog for young kids. It didn't take long for us to sell him.

Personally, I have owned dogs throughout my life, and I simply do not have the time for them at all with kids.

19. RenoF250

RenoF250

I think you should be concerned about her if she would dump the dog for you, I would respect her holding her ground. That said, I understand your position and think you need to find a solution that satisfies both of you. You said she has a house, why are you talking apartment and keeping the dog inside? Keep the house and put the dog outside. No kids until it has expired.

You should be able to discuss this with her, is it her way or the highway? If so take the highway.

20. superspud

superspud Ninja

its a crappy college house on a college campus, both of her older brothers used it and she lived there while she was in college. it was never intended to be a permanent house, just for college use. as it turns out, my house is literally half a mile from the hospital she works at, while the house she's currently in is about 45 minutes.