close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Featured My Gen 5 1k round review

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by 19trax95, Oct 7, 2017.

1. 19trax95

19trax95

So I hit 1,000 rounds out of my Gen 5 19 Friday night. So I wanted to post a review of my experience thus far, and a comparison between my Gen 3 19 (don't have a gen 4 yet). So on to the review.

I will talk about the finish first. I like it better than my glock 34 (gen 4). It is easier to clean it seems and it is a deeper black which I like. I have been carrying it in a kydex holster daily and I see no signs of wear, but my other guns don't show much either so I can't really say if it's tougher than others.

Next up is shooting and feel. Comparing to the most direct competitor my Gen 3 vickers 19, it feels better in my hands due to no finger grooves. The cutout does not bother me, although I have gotten a mag snagged on it when I try and do fast reloads. Doesn't happen every time but still happens sometimes. I expect that may get better as I train more with this gun.

I also seem to shoot it more accurately than the gen 3. I do not know if it is the barrel or simply because it fits in my hand better. But I can consistently get tighter groups with the gen 5 than I can the gen 3.

On to wear, only having 1k rounds through it, and having cleaned it after each range trip, there isn't much wear. But, the gen 3 which has a little over 1k through it, shows less wear on the barrel than the gen 5 does. And both are cleaned and lubed the same way. Now keep in mind the vickers is cerakoted, so perhaps that helps to reduce wear from the slide to barrel. I took pics to try and demonstrate the difference.

Trigger and ejection- probably the two things people are more interested in.

The trigger was better than any of my other glocks I have out of the box. It was smoother and felt lighter. I would say it was the same pull weight at the - connector in my 34, but has a smoother pull and less of a wall. In have a ghost 3.5 connector in my Gen 3 and I still say the gen 5 beats it on over all smoothness of pull. Both guns I did the 25 cent trigger job on.

The ejection of the gen 5 is very consistent in my example. I use my own reloads for the range and they all land about 3 or 4 feet away to my 4:00. I have not had a single BTF or even close. And I've tried some hit loads and some light loads. The gen 3 I get a couple near misses with my face and most of them go over my shoulder. It changes how it ejected spent cases with different ammo as well, whereas the gen 5 remained steady.

Final thoughts. I really like the gen 5. I feel as though it is a good improvement over the gen 3. Like I mentioned I don't have a gen 4 19 to compare to, but I do have a gen 4 34. I would say that I would still have come to the same conclusion if I did have a gen 4 19. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Nick B

Nick B

Great review . Nice job .

kd4jvg, Dan parton, DLL9mm and 3 others like this.

3. dmifflin

dmifflin

Good write up.

kd4jvg and Learning guys like this.
  4. skyboss_4evr

skyboss_4evr

Yep, nice write up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kd4jvg and Learning guys like this.
  5. oldguynewglock

oldguynewglock

Agree on the trigger and accuracy. Better than my Gen 4 19. Found the same thing with my Gen 5 17 also.

6. Scott1970

Scott1970

Nice write up.

I've become a huge fan of my Gen 5 19 as well.

Learning guys and skyboss_4evr like this.
  7. Mr Wasabi

Mr Wasabi

Great review, thanks. I’m hoping a Gen 5 31 and 32 will follow.

8. kenzo

kenzo

Thanks for the update.

Learning guys likes this.
  9. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

1,000 rounds? That's like 3 weekends of matches. Report back after you hit at least 100,000 rounds.... And you need more lube on the barrel.

Mastroglock9mm likes this.
  10. Valmet

Valmet M76Valmet

Nice write-up, thank you

n2g likes this.
  11. Turk3196

Turk3196

12. Turk3196

Turk3196

If you shoot that much why don't you get one and run 100000 through it. I highly doubt anyone has that much through a gen 5 yet. I bet most don't have no where near that through any gun.

Learning guys and Mediabug like this.
  13. win

win

nice write up.
    I would bet your average gun owner does not put 1k round through their pistols.
    Now most of us here shoot more than average.

14. VELG17

VELG17

I have hit 1,000 rounds through my Gen 5 Glock 19.

Report: Works just fine. Hits what I am at. Will put a man down at any SD distance required.

Sorry, not what the drama queens on a gun forum like this are looking for...but...there you go.

15. 19trax95

19trax95

I will never hit 100k combined through my guns. For one I don't have the money nor time to shoot that much, and I don't shoot competition. Can't stand the atmosphere of the ones I've been to. Far too many elitists for the common man to have fun. It's like if you don't have a $2k race gun, your are looked down upon as if your a pee on.

My review was the average shooters review. I shoot for fun and to train for carry. So I really only get to go out on weekends and some week nights and shoot 200 rounds or so each trip. On rare occasions, as in this case, I shot 500 rounds in one weekend using exclusively my Gen 5.

The lube I'll try. I followed glocks recommended lube points with one difference. I use a light dab of grease on the frame rails. I have been pleased with the results I've gotten on the grease on other guns so I continued that with the glocks.

Toby196, Maven, Cessna2050 and 12 others like this.
  16. jeepjrn

jeepjrn

Nice job, great review, very much appreciated, thank you for your time and effort to provide such a thorough and honest review.

n2g, cousbud and Sky King like this.
  17. Unclebucksguns

Unclebucksguns

Great Review Sir !

cousbud likes this.
  18. mamanes

mamanes

Thanks for the review! A 19 gen5 is next on my list!

Unclebucksguns likes this.
  19. Madbear99

Madbear99

Agree with review

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unclebucksguns likes this.
  20. cal williams

cal williams

Thanks for the review. Was going to get a gen 5, 17 but it was gone so I got a gen 4, 19 mos. My old eyes really like those red dots. I will be getting a gen 5, 17 probably next one that comes in. Again thanks for review

Mediabug and Unclebucksguns like this.