close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My Gen 4 Experience:

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by IMightBeWrong, Jan 7, 2011.

Tags:
  1. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Straw Dog

Before the Gen 4 came out I was more excited about it than anything I can think of. I really didn't think that Glock, of all companies, would put anything less than fully tested and ready to go out on the market. I bought a Glock 17 Gen 4 with 01 Recoil Spring Assembly about a month after they started showing up. It felt outstanding. I absolutely loved it right out of the box. I put a few hundred through it, no issues with reliability. My only issue was the occasional piece of brass to the face... Well, maybe a little more than occasional. Every 75-100 rounds... But no issues with feeding or ejecting...

On top of getting hit in the face with brass (and rather hard I might add) my only other complaint was that the new recoil spring assembly was much more difficult to get into the weapon. It didn't want to go back in without a little bit of a fight, and when field stripping it would fall out of the pistol on it's own every now and then.

Now, that said, my other 2 Gen 3 Glocks had no issues with anything, ever. Looking back on the issues I had, I sort of brushed them off at the time. But a Glock should act like a Glock in my opinion, and it has very much changed. Glock needs to look at their customer base right now really decide if they want to keep on trying to fix their dual springs for their 9mm pistols to no avail or finally give their customers piece of mind. Ever few days I see a post from a GTer who is so worried about getting a problematic pistol they're practically begging to hear even a little bit of good about a Gen 4, and when they ask they get too many replies of bad reliability to be able to comfortably make their purchase. Glock needs to realize that they're alienating their customer base and fix the issue the right way, by moving back to the standard 9mm recoil spring assembly that has proven itself perfect for the design for over 20 years.

/rant

2. glockvit

glockvit Glock Sportsman

Hmm! So, are you happy with the gun?

3. rca256

rca256

I would not buy a Gen 4 9mm until all of the problems are worked out. If Glock came to me and said, hey you have owned six Glocks, try this Gen 4 9 mm for a year and tell me what issues you find, then I might consider taking it home. Life is to short to mess around with stuff that does not work...

4. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

Umm, I'm not sure I see a problem here - zero malfunctions?

5. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Straw Dog

With brass hitting you in the face within every 100 rounds? Not something I could carry concealed with complete confidence in my opinion. Not unless I want to wear sunglasses everywhere. With eye protection on, almost every time it tossed a case my way it bumped the lens on my right eye.

6. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Straw Dog

Traded it off for a Colt that I had traded off in the past and wanted back. I informed the buyer of the brass flying back issue, he was okay with the trade.

7. Postal Bob

Postal Bob

Well I had just the opposite experience. I bought my Gen4 17(first Glock ever) 3 months ago. Before I bought it I read all the internet horror stories about the recoil spring problems. So I was prepared for the worst. I also read about breaking in the Glock properly to avoid problems with the pistol.
    My Glock has the original recoil spring, no numbers on it. From the very first rounds fired up to over 1000 by now, I've never had a single ftf or fte. And I've shot factory 115gr and 124gr loads. I've also shot reloads, some so light they're below listed minimums in the reloading manuals. And still have never had a problem. I think my Gen 4 is the greatest gun ever. I use it in action pistol shooting too, so I'm firing several magazines at a time. And still no problems. And my Glock is not an isolated lucky one. My friend also bought a Gen4 17 from a different gun store, and with original spring and has had no problems either.
    I contribute all this not to luck, but to proper break-in procedures. Before we fired the first shots I stripped the guns compleately and made sure all parts were well oiled, and on the slides used gun grease. We both carefully fired the first 500 rds thru the guns, trying not to fire more than 100-150rds at a range session. Then cleaned and relubed the guns before the next session. All this careful care has provided us with a pair of Gen 4's that will digest anything you put thru them. I believe most problems with the Gen 4's can be traced back to improper break-in procedure. In otherwords, operator error!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  8. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

What ammo were you using that hits you? I have the same problem with UMC with a G4 19 (03 spring). UMC is flea fart ammo. No such problem with "normal" power ammo.

I'm not concerned.

9. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Straw Dog

First thing I did with mine was also to clean out all the factory grease and oil it to proper Glock Spec. Fired 3 types of ammo to my recollection: American Eagle, PMC, and some Remington Golden Saber 124gr +P to make sure my carry ammo would run well. No malfunctions, but all ammo types hit me with brass at least once.

10. bentbiker

bentbiker

Getting hit by a case 1 time out of 100 shots is not a sign of a "bad" spring. Others with this problem have substituted an extractor made before the change about 12 mos ago and the issues with weak/erratic ejections disappeared.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  11. glock4ever!

glock4ever!

I will never buy a gen4 Glock untill Gaston Glock is brought out of retirement, and all the engineers who designed the generation 4 are kick out of Glock.

12. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Yeah. We need a another new round. Maybe a 9mm GAP!

13. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Straw Dog

I didn't mean to imply that the recoil spring was the culprit there. I didn't like getting hit in the face with brass, and I also don't like worrying about buying a brand new gun because it's new recoil assembly has reportedly been having issues.

14. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Your obviously holding your head wrong. Just restrict your SD round count to <75 and you should avoid getting hit.

15. countsk

countsk

Same deal with my Gen 4. Sold it last summer after about a 20% malfuction rate. Owned multiple Glocks over the last 20 years without a problem. I honestly don't remember the last malfunction I had with a Glock until I got a Gen 4 G17. I had more malfunctions in one range session than I've had cumulative over a 20 year period. Glock will make it right though. I have faith in them. My EDC is a Gen 2 G19 that I bought new in 92/93. In my humble opinion, Glock tried to improve on perfection and it didn't work out for them, so far. For now I'll keep my Gen 2 on my hip and see how this saga unfolds. She should last me another 20 years, so that should give them plenty of time to work the bugs out.

16. bentbiker

bentbiker

Perhaps I was reading too much into your original post saying that "Glock needs to . . . fix the issue the right way, by moving back to the standard 9mm recoil spring assembly . . ."

17. proguide

proguide

That's the problem! We shouldn't have to go out and carefully fire 500 rounds cleaning it 4 times in-between. Hot loads, soft loads, spitballs, it should fire ANYTHING YOU FEED IT. I don't care if you have a death grip on it or your limp wristing it while standing on one foot. It should go bang the first time every time! I've run my gun muddy while firing on my back support hand only, so exhausted that I couldn't feel the grip. My Dept's tac courses are brutal . Guess what...always fired. That's what Glock is and that's why we all own and trust them. They changed the design and it is not working as a Glock should. They need to realize this and fix the issues.

18. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Wasn't that the 9x23 Dillon???? :dunno:(See the question marks is a reference to a question not a stated fact, and this was more of a sarcastic joke, before all the 9x23 Dillon experts get offended :supergrin:)

19. matt c

matt c

The pistol has a firmer spring and weighs the same as the Gen2 and 3...it will require more input from the shooter in recoil control to function as well as the lighter spring of the Gen3/2. Or, if that can't be done, it will require hotter ammo to offset the firmer spring. Brass hitting you in the face is due to the muzzle rising too much in recoil or the spring being too firm for the bullet used and the slide is not sent back forcefully enough to eject the round out to the side. On the ones that hit you in the face it could be that that particular bullet is under spec than the others due to mfg. variances, or it could be due to you allowing the gun to flip too much on that particular round.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  20. James Dean

James Dean

My early G17 Gen4 had 2 FTE with my son shooting it on our first day out. Since than I have over 3,000 Flawless rounds. I still have the orginal recoil spring and I won't switch it out. I would also clean and inspect ANY new or used gun prior to shooting it.