close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My G30SF RTB problem

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by FLGlockster, Mar 18, 2012.

1. FLGlockster

FLGlockster

No it wasn't a bad trigger bar, or mag spring and the frame wasn't out of spec.

After removing the aftermarket extended slide release and replacing it with the original Glock slide release the weapon performed flawlessly again. Go figure!

9[​IMG]3&pictureid=5497

The moral of my story is after having read and researched all the problems that could be causing the my own FTRTB, it wasn't a Glock problem, it was because of my own modifications to a perfect weapon.

Your problem(s) might be as easy as this or as complexed as all the issues discussed in the thread referenced below which I labored over.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1062468

Here's hoping this might help someone else who is experiencing a similar issue.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  2. lyodbraun

lyodbraun

Glad it worked out for the good, Im getting my Glock 30SF Tuesday...

3. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

Thank you for taking time to document this. It's certainly a new cause (aftermarket extended slide stop lever) I've not seen mentioned before concerning FTRTB in the G30SF. Excellent photography too.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  4. bentbiker

bentbiker

Could you see that it was dragging on the slide even when in the down position? If not, before putting the original back in, did you try shooting left handed?

5. FLGlockster

FLGlockster

No, but I could see the damage done to the extended slide release part as slide moved back and forth over the extended slide release, as witnessed in the JPG.

The RTB failure occured only once or twice per 100 rounds of ammo.

Clearly, a greater about of damage (as I've tried to show) was done on recoil as the unfired ammo returned to battery.

I can't explain why. I ain't a rocket scientist or a weapons expert but it is what it was and more importantly my problem has been resolved and the weapon performs flawlessly again.

6. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

Does Brownells own ARO-Tek?

7. bentbiker

bentbiker

What typically causes this is your thumb lifting the slide stop lever during recoil causing the lever to rub against the bottom of the slide as you noted. Lots of people have an issue with the extended lever and do as you did -- remove it. The reason I asked about shooting left handed is that your thumb can't hit the lever when it's on the other side. However, if it only happened once every 100 rds, that is a lot of left handed shooting to demonstrate the cause.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  8. FLGlockster

FLGlockster

Agreed...If I could shoot left handled, which I don't and really can't, it may have never happen or repeated itself. And it may have been my thumb hitting the slide stop on recoil, but I don't think so.

Eyeballing the way the slide stop positioned it self on the frame makes me think it was simply the design of the slide stop.

I use different (lone wolf) extended slide stops on my other Glocks and have never had any issues shooting with them. I believe they have a better design and make the chances of this occuring less likely.

More importantly I'm just happy I don't have an issue with my G30SF, as many others seem to having. I was really concerned reading G30SF's with serial number beginning with "M"XX were having more issues than others.

Anyway, for what it's worth, hopefully other's might gain some benefit from reading this thread and not assume it's a Glock problem and all there fault. That being say....
    Theres good reasons as to why Glock doesn't sell there weapons with all the modification we owner's like to make to our Glocks.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  9. FLGlockster

FLGlockster

Good point...I will redact reference thereto and refer to the product as an "aftermarket" slide stop.

10. chemboy

chemboy

I had a similar looking slide stop(though OEM) on my G21SF after running the AA 22 conversion kit on the frame for 5-6K rounds. Seems that something on the bottom of the conversion slide was scratching/ rubbing the slide stop, which caused the weapon not to return to battery.
    New slide stop and hey presto, no more issues.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  11. USSOCOM

USSOCOM

I have two 30SF models with a thousand rounds between them without a failure of any sort.

12. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm glad to hear of people with 30SFs that work.

13. GKglock324

GKglock324 GKshooter

never had a prob with my G30 SF...1000+ rounds..