Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done enough reading to shut Jonny-5 down. Researching ballistic tables, watching gel test, reading about gel tests and finding real world chrono numbers. I'm dead set on two, two in the group I started with.

Underwood
180gr Gold Dot - 1231 fps from a 29
200gr XTP - 1143 fps from a 29

My final decision will come when Hornady gets back to me. I emailed them and asked :What's the ideal MV range for the 200 XTP and/or what is the ideal expansion window range in fps, and is the 200 XTP a good choice for SD or is it mainly intended as a hunting bullet. I will paste their reply here when I get it.

Someone did try to shake up my whole pile of studying today though. They suggested Buffalo Bore 155gr Barnes Tac-XP. I quickly brushed that off when I noticed they were $2 per round. Plus, I'm not sure about buying ammo from a guy that recommends loading 2 JHP to come out first, and the rest FN-FMJ, in a 10mm, for self defense!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Groo here
I am one of the few that DON'T like XTP's for SD.
The bullet is just too "Hard" for the performance I Want.
I want a bullet that works like the Rem 357mag 125gr SJHP.
The nose blows off [ if fast enough other wise expands greatly]
The base becomes a WC and drives into the GOOD STUFF.
A 135gr HP would work well and track with the 357...

·
Banned
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Groo here
I am one of the few that DON'T like XTP's for SD.
The bullet is just too "Hard" for the performance I Want.
I want a bullet that works like the Rem 357mag 125gr SJHP.
The nose blows off [ if fast enough other wise expands greatly]
The base becomes a WC and drives into the GOOD STUFF.
A 135gr HP would work well and track with the 357...
Check this out grooves, a tech "expert" from Hornady told me this when I asked about the 200 XTP for SD.
Hornady said:
The 200 gr. XTP has a working velocity range of 700-1200 fps. The bullet was designed around hunting and law enforcement. It would not give the full benefit of the FBI protocol for penetration due to the rapid expansion of the bullet under hydraulic shock
Habits are hard to break, so I'll be using Gold Dots in another gun.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Overkill I read your post on the 10 forum, based on the vids I think you are making an excellent choice. Also as per Hornady the XTP 180 gr is rated 750-1450 fps/ XTP 200 gr 700-1200 fps /155 gr 850-1300 fps.
If you follow what they are saying you have a bullet that is designed for 10 velocity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts