My G23 Lone wolf BBL review

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ricky_arthur, Feb 25, 2010.

1. ricky_arthur

ricky_arthur

I've had my trusty Gen 2 G23c for about 10 years. I decided to get an after market BBl for several reasons. I shoot almost 100% reloads ( I wanted better case head support, and a tighter chamber to make my brass last longer) and sometimes I don't need/want a compensated BBL. I chose a Lone Wolf, mainly cause it was cheap and I've never heard anything bad about them.

Got the lone wolf in the mail and broke down the glock for a test fitting. I dropped it in and... it didn't fit.:wow: I put a little pressure on it and "pop", it went into place. It took a little pressure to pop back out also, so I lubed it good and popped it in and out about 10 times and each time it got looser. So I installed it and racked the slide and let go about 50 times. By the time I had done that, it slid into place just like the glock BBl. The only draw back is I managed to put a scratch across the wolf logo on the BBL. NBD (PIC) I dropped a round into both BBl's and the case head support in the Lone wolf BBl was much improved. I'll post a pic of that after I finish the rest of this post. Also the chamber is much tighter. (which is what I wanted)

Then I drove to my shooting range outside of town. 5 min drive MAX.
    There is about 2 feet of snow on the ground and I had to carry my stuff to the bench from the road. Conditions were not good, It was cold! and Windy. Winds were gusting to 20-25 MPH across the range, and I had forgotten my gloves. DOH!

I fired one Magazine full out of the stock BBl at 10 yards from the bench for accuracy reference, (see pic)then I fired one mag full with the Lone wolf BBL. (pic) Also at 10 yards from the bench. These were the first 9 rounds through the BBL. Then one more Mag. (pic) Then 2 Mags quick-fire standing (pic). (to test reliability).

I had to fish the brass out of the snow after each mag fired with bare hands so by the time I got to this point My hands were too cold to load a magazine. (which is why I was only loading 9-10 per mag) It wasn't enough rounds to ensure 100% reliability but I did not have any feeding or any other problems during the test run.

My first test impressions are that I am 100% satisfied so far. I think the accuracy will improve as the bbl breaks in and after I develop a load for it. I was shooting 155gr Barrys plated and Bullseye powder, which is my plinking load. I noticed ZERO difference in recoil between the ported and unported BBLs, I also didn't notice a difference in noise level but i was wearing Muffs over plugs so I probably wouldn't.

So far I can say I would recommend a Lone Wold .40 cal BBL to anyone who is looking.

Attached Files:

2. ricky_arthur

ricky_arthur

Case head support comparison pic

Attached Files:

3. Glock 23 NY

Glock 23 NY

What type of upper is that. I have a G23 and that looks sick:wow:

4. GLOCK MONSTER

GLOCK MONSTER

GLAD 2 SEE THAT YOUR STILL HAVING A BLAST WITH THAT GLOCK 23:supergrin: !

5. ricky_arthur

ricky_arthur

100% stock Gen 2 G23C(except of course the new BBL) The ports are for the compensated BBL.

6. den888

den888

Thanks for the report, LW barrels are awesome.

7. carbuncle

carbuncle is not cool.

Thanks for the report, I'm still trying to decide on my first Glock and the versatility of the 23 has me leaning that way. Nice to see the chamber comparison pic, too!

8. ricky_arthur

ricky_arthur

Get the G23 it is a good size and caliber for about anything. I almost ordered another G23 this week but at the last min got the G22 since I don't have one.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  9. smousefam5

smousefam5

How do the Storm Lake barrels compare with LW? I ordered a Storm Lake a few days ago for me 23...they had them on sale for about $20 less the equivalent LW barrel.