Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought it new and bone stock it would run regular off the shelf 10mm fine. When I tried some hot Underwood stuff, it would fail to feed over and over again. After dumping a bunch of money into this solution and that solution I ended up with a lone wolf threaded barrel and compensator that will cycle hot Underwood stuff fine.

But now it won't cycle the lower power off the shelf stuff!

I can't afford to use hot boutique ammo just to shoot at the range, unfortunately.

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
Sorry to hear you were having trouble with your G20SF.

In my G20SF, I have a 22lb ISMI flat spring on a stainless GR. It will feed my lightest 40S&W loads or my hottest 10mm loads (180gr jacketed at 1300+ fps).

If I want to go hotter, I need an aftermarket barrel as my OEM will start smiling cases. Feed is always reliable.

·
Registered
451 Posts
10mm is often a 180gr/1000fps, whereas Underwood (and BB) bump it up by 300fps. That's a huge difference that would surely seem to necessitate a heavier RSA (as already suggested).

You can get away with running a heavy spring and light loads, as long as you've got a firm enough grip (no limp wristing).

·
Registered
19,822 Posts
As someone who has been reloading for 44 years, I fail to see how an ammunition manufacturer can ship a product that won't function in a stock Glock pistol. I've got a couple of boxes of Underwood that were part of my SHTF stash. Now, I guess I'll keep my Hornady XTPs and place the Underwood in my S stash. It's a shame too because the S was expensive.
It's not the gun. It's the expensive boutique ammo. :sadangel: It's laughable when I have TulAmmo (not 10mm) around that I could rely on in an emergency.

Reactions: ShootingRooster

·
Banned
8,027 Posts
Get a 22# RSA and +10% mag springs from Wolff. Loading 12-13 rounds max in your practice mags with those springs, they should last forever. Don't know what to say about carry or HD. Maybe get a +2 and just load 15? Mine run with anything. Maybe the slide, frame and barrel need to break in some more together? Use lots of white lithium grease when you're at the range.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Bought it new and bone stock it would run regular off the shelf 10mm fine. When I tried some hot Underwood stuff, it would fail to feed over and over again. After dumping a bunch of money into this solution and that solution I ended up with a lone wolf threaded barrel and compensator that will cycle hot Underwood stuff fine.

But now it won't cycle the lower power off the shelf stuff!

I can't afford to use hot boutique ammo just to shoot at the range, unfortunately.
Is it the Gen 4 ??

·
Registered
151 Posts
Mike McNet from Double Tap,recommended the 20lb recoil spring as the best all around spring, light to heavy loads with reliability as the priority. He spoke those words directly to me via a phone conversation.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry to hear you were having trouble with your G20SF.

In my G20SF, I have a 22lb ISMI flat spring on a stainless GR. It will feed my lightest 40S&W loads or my hottest 10mm loads (180gr jacketed at 1300+ fps).

If I want to go hotter, I need an aftermarket barrel as my OEM will start smiling cases. Feed is always reliable.
I tried a 22lb ISMI when you said it worked in yours last year, but it didn't help.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Get a 22# RSA and +10% mag springs from Wolff. Loading 12-13 rounds max in your practice mags with those springs, they should last forever.
I did all that. That was the part where I tried this and I tried that. I even tried layering two springs within each other! Still didn't help, so I took the extra spring out and pretended like I didn't do such a stupid thing.

·
20,730 Posts
The first thing I did when I got my G20 SF was to get a standard factory weight Lone Wolf recoil spring with a stainless steel Guide rod. I suspect that the LW spring is a little bit stiffer than the factory spring maybe 18 pounds.

It works fine with the Underwood 180 grain and the 220 grain Hardcast but I also have a 6 inch Lone Wolf barrel that I cut down to 5 inches. and since it's a factory weight spring it handles wimpy factory loads just fine and also shoots 40 S&W.

That barrel has a tighter chamber than the Glock factory barrel and some of eh Underwood ammo is a tight fit in the chamber so I do a plunk test with every box of ammo I buy and any ammo that's tight I put aside for practice.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts