Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am struggling with distance shots (around 50 feet or further) from my G17. They wander to the right of the bullseye on the target . I posted something about this in the GSSF area and got some good advice. Since my question has now become more of a general 9mm question I'm posting here.

The advice I got was to work on my trigger technique/control, which I've been doing. I practiced with my 17 today, still having problems wandering to the right. I had my G19 with me and for kicks tried the same long-range shot, fully expecting the same results as the 17. I was quite surprised that my shots stayed toward the center. So this complicates the theory about trigger control and technique.

-My 17 is stock except for the sights. It has a 3.5 pound Glock connector.

-My 19 is stock except for the sights and has the 5 pound connector.

Tpopo me the 2 guns are very close in size and feel. Why would the smaller gun yield better results?

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
It will be interesting to see some of the "EXPERT" answers.

My 26 is a tack driver, my friend has a 17 & a 19.

We have had all 3 at the range at the same time, sending a few hundred rounds down range, it's always the 26 shooting the tightest groups.
We talk about some day getting a "ransom" (sp?) rest to remove the hand hold factor and really prove this out.

maybe its the shorter grip equalling a tighter grip?
BUT "they" say the longer sight radius on the 19 & 17 makes for better aim??

dont know....

·
Registered
318 Posts
"Drumroll"
The answer is - - - - - - -
There is a difference in the grip angle between the two.
A slight difference but a difference.

Put the two next to each other and you'll notice it.
It maybe that one grip angle works better for you than the other.

:dunno:

·
Registered
105 Posts
I am wondering if it has to do with the difference in trigger pulls. Maybe the lighter trigger on the 17 is causing the difference in point of impact.
Mike

·
Registered
485 Posts
Maybe you have a bias set up in the G19 sights for your trigger tecnique. Whereas the G17 may have the sights set correctly. In other words if you are pulling the gun to the left with your G19, maybe the sights are adjusted the other way to compensate for it. Then when you pick up the G17 you will be off. You need to sand bag the two guns to make sure the sights are aiming for the same point with both guns.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am wondering if it has to do with the difference in trigger pulls. Maybe the lighter trigger on the 17 is causing the difference in point of impact.
Interesting thought. I was sort of wondering this myself. While the 3.5 pound connector makes trigger pull a bit easier, it's a bit "mushy" feeling while the 5 pound is pretty crisp. I'm going to put the 5 pund back in the 17 and see what happens at the range.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
According to my handy dandy shooting chart and assuming that you shoot right handed, you are palm squeezing too tight and using too much thumb pressure on the Model 17, probably because of the lighter trigger pull.

If you are left handed, you are squeezing too tight with your fingers and using too little trigger finger on the trigger proper.
The larger grip and greater palm surface of the Model 17, compared to your Model 19, will contribute to both types of issues. HTH

1 - 8 of 8 Posts