My first Striper fishing trip coming up.

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by crater, Jun 27, 2007.

1. crater

crater NRA Member

Myself and a friend of mine with his girlfriend are spending three nights at a cabin at Lake Cumberland this week-end. We are taking a guided boat for Stripers at 5:00 am on Sunday. I am told that we should have our limit (2 each) by at least 11:00. We are going to eat and chill and maybe a hot tub dip the rest of the day. On Monday, we have reserved a potton boat (big enough for 8 people) for the whole day to do some cove fishing for whatever is biting.

Not much of a big announcement, but I am excited since I have never done anything like this before. Darned near packed already:) :)

Just thought I would share.

Anybody here been to Lake Cumberland before?

Thanks

2. gruntmedik

gruntmedik Semper Fi CLM

We have some family friends down in Burnside, and we would visit all the time when we were kids. Been a long time since I've been there, and have never fished there.

I have, recently, been bitten by the Striper bug here at Taylorsville Lake. Caught a few in the 10"-12" range, and I am hooked! (pun intended :supergrin: ) The Striper population is nothing like Lake Cumberland is, so you should have a blast.

Make sure you take some pics for us. :thumbsup:

3. glockawakka

glockawakka

ya'll gotta come east and get some BIG stripers, none of the lake fish. talkin 50lbs++ use 10-12in fish for bait.

4. TScottW99

TScottW99 Bird Catcher

Just started fishing for stripers myself. First one I caught was by accident, I was fishing for flatheads...

[​IMG]

Second one was caught on purpose :supergrin: with a 5" redfin (top water lure) at Smith Mountain Lake...

[​IMG]

Good luck on your trip! Stripers are fun to catch. Caught a 5 pound hybrid-bass the other night on a Smithwick.

5. mossy500camo

mossy500camo Guest

6. crater

crater NRA Member

Had one heck of a good time this past week-end. We left at 5:45AM and we were back at the dock before 9:00AM. Went about 9 miles down the lake. Between my friend and I, we caught 8 Stripers that were not keepers, plus four that were keepers.
    (24 inch min). Two fish limit. The cost of the guide was well worth it in my opion. He provided everything, took pictures and cleaned and bagged the catch. Darn, those are some good eating fish. Also landed a Walleye, which we tried to cook according to a receipe that required you to wrap it in mud and place on hot coal's. It got over cooked, but it does have potential to be a tasty meal.

I am trying to figure out how to post some pictures. I am a better fisherman than a computer guy.

Rented a boat the next day and spent seven hours on the water and did not catch a thing, other than a sunburn.

I can see where striper fishing could become addictive.

Got to give a big A Plus to those circle hooks also.
    Will certainly be doing this again :)

7. TScottW99

TScottW99 Bird Catcher

Congrats on a great trip!

Those circle hooks are the bomb! I use them for flatheads and stripers.

8. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

make a salt brine -water and salt.

Cut the fish into serving size pieces.

If you are filleting them when you take the skin off leave about 1/4

inch of fish on it then you will only have a small dark strip to vee

cut out.

Soak the fish in the brine over night in the fridge.

Take out rinse off and pat dry (important) with paper towels.

Heat about 1/4 inch of oil until just about smoking.

Place the fish pieces carefully in the oil so that they don't touch

each other or the sides of the pan. (the don't touch is also

important)

When the pieces are light tan carefully turn over until light tan on

the other side.

Is Good, very Good!

9. crater

crater NRA Member

O.K. I think I got this picture posting thing down. So here goes...

10. crater

crater NRA Member

One more, with a plug for the Guide..

11. Passafist

Passafist

Those are some nice fish you have there.

Oh, how I long for the days of fishing for rock fish in the Chesapeake Bay. We used to go down around Warsaw and fish for them in the nawmani (check spelling) river. In the 70's rockfish, croakers and spots were so plentiful we'd eat fish four days out of the week. Fish, fried potatoes and corn bread.

Spent many a night down on Occoquan Reservoir fishing for Catfish. Watched those big cats shatter a many a mans hopes in the wee hours of the night. Lost a few poles there also. Just about the time you'd see the tip go down, you'd see the butt of the rod fly up and then she be gone.

I remember going down on Rt 1 in Dumfries and catching so many herring that it took two people to lift the net. We'd eat roe for days and salt enough fish to last us a winters worth of Saturday and Sunday breakfasts. Wow, those were the good ole days!

Yep, mighty nice fish.

(And to think I'm just 42 years old. That's what growing up with your grandparents can do for you. The things dreams and memories are made of. I wouldn't trade those memories for all the money in the world)