close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My First Serious Malfunction With My G19

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by SCshooter23, Mar 27, 2012.

1. SCshooter23

SCshooter23

Good evening everyone,

I'm new here and was needing some help with a serious malfunction that I had on my 3rd Gen Glock 19. I was at the range this weekend and was shooting and I had what I thought was a hang fire. I waited a minute or two and then went to eject the round. Much to my dismay, the slide would not budge. I put some serious muscle on it, but it wasn't moving. I feel like an ***, but I didn't clear it before I left the range. I know this is not ideal, but I could not clear it, and still being somewhat of a novice, I didn't have much choice since I did not know what would cause such a problem or how to fix it. I was at an outdoor range with no RO there, so going to the RO was not an option.

So, my slide is locked and will not move, I have a live round in the chamber, the trigger is depressed and will not reset. I have done some reading and from what I've read, I need to essentially use a rubber mallet to get the slide to rack due to a bad crimping issue on that particular round. These are not reloads. I was using Federal FMJ in 9mm Luger. I live in the city, so hammering on the gun at home is not a good idea since it would be very bad if I had an ND. Is my analysis of the problem accurate? I called the local shop with a range and told them the issue and they said I could bring it in for their smith to fix it. Should I do that or just go back to the range with a rubber mallet and do it on my own?

2. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

I would say that if you aren't confident in fixing it yourself, take it to the smith. Leave it in your car, go in tell him the problem then bring it in when they say its ok.

3. SCshooter23

SCshooter23

It's not that I'm not confident in fixing it, I am just seriously concerned about an ND while hammering on the gun since there is a live round in there. I'd have it pointed in a safe direction and everything, but again, I live in the city and an ND would be no bueno. I was planning on taking it to the smith for sure, but I wanted to get some insight into what causes this kind of problem so I understand what is going on with it.

4. M&P Shooter

M&P Shooter Metal Member

I would take it to the gunsmith so if any scratches have to made on finish while getting the slide open it's on the shop not a total out of pocket to you for a slide refinish:cool:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  5. Gperfection

Gperfection

You should probably go to the shop that has the gunsmith. If it were me, I would put it in my padded jawed vise and get it open. All the while the muzzle pointed at something I don't care about. Are you absolutely certain that a round is in the chamber? Is the loaded chamber indicator protruding? It could have been a wrong round, boxed in with the rest of your rounds. Or maybe just an out of spec. 9x19 round. Sometimes when the bullet is pressed into the shell case, it can catch on the edge and kind of roll up the case a little. That will cause a jam, you are describing. I don't think you should beat on it with a rubber mallet.

6. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

No joke! I'd tell you how to fix the problem without using a hammer; but, because of your lack of experience, I'd strongly suggest you take that G-19 to a qualified Glock Armorer.

7. TexasPOff

TexasPOff "Tactical Hobbit"

I'm with Arc on this one. Take to an Armorer or qualified smith. Don't become a front page headline. TXPO

8. SCshooter23

SCshooter23

Took it to a smith. I'll keep you posted.

9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

It seems to me that if the trigger is stuck at the rear, that also means the striker safety is depressed, so there is nothing blocking the striker from hitting the primer. That might be a problem if you are trying to hammer the round out somehow. Take it to an armorer or gunsmith.

10. wuvmyglock

wuvmyglock

11. DannyII

DannyII

Good call on taking it to someone who knows what they're doing. Better safe than sorry.

12. MikeG36

MikeG36

I'm glad to hear you took it to a gunsmith. Hopefully he knows Glocks. Good luck.