close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My first real instrument.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Tim13, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Tim13

Tim13

I recently picked up this new to me banjo, and dang does it sound nice. I've been picking for about 15 months now, and realized I was outgrowing my beginner banjo. So, I took the plunge, and bought a top quality instrument. It's 5 years old, and with the exception of one minor cosmetic flaw, it's in nearly new condition.

Tim

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. EM87

EM87

Nice banjo! I have a family member who plays. It's a neat instrument.

3. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Mmmm, he sure got a purdy mouf.

:)

4. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

I must complement you on your choice of instruments! Excellent choice. A maple Stelling is one hell of a banjo. You'll never outgrow it.

Mine's walnut :supergrin:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. greatwun

greatwun Senior Member

Got anyone you can duel with?

6. Mostly 9

Mostly 9

From The Canonical List of Banjo Jokes:

Our hero was walking around Ventura and after he had an In-and-Out burger, he happened upon a little antique shop, so he went in and took a look around. Way up on a high shelf he saw a little brass mouse figurine, and he really liked it. He asked the owner how much it was, and the guy said, "It's $50 for the mouse, and $100 for the story that goes with it." Well, our hero didn't care about any old story, he just liked the little brass mouse, so he paid the guy $50 and walked out with the mouse in a brown paper bag. As he was walking home, he noticed the figurine was hollow with two little holes. Holding it up to his mouth, it made a melodious whistle. No sooner that he started, he was being followed by three little mice. When he stopped, they stopped. When he turned left, they turned left, et cetera. "Whoa, this is creeping me out," he thought. As he walked, the mice were joined by more mice, until our hero looked like the Pied Piper. He started to run, and he wound up on a pier over the Pacific Ocean [he's in Ventura, remember?] All the mice in town are right behind him. He is so freaked out that he throws the bag with the brass mouse into the water, and all the little mice jump after it, fall into the ocean, and drown. "Man, this is weird!" he says. He goes back to the antique store, and the owner doesn't seem surprised to see him. "Ahhh, you've come back to hear the story!" he says to our dilapidated hero. "No, man," says he, "I was just wondering if you have any little brass banjo players?"

:rofl:

7. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Two musicians and a banjo picker went into a bar...

8. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

That neck has some KILLER flame,......looks good!

9. Tim13

Tim13

Thanks for the compliments. I haven't been able to put it down since I bought it. Originally, I thought I would end up with a Deering or a Gibson, but after playing about 25 different banjos, this one rose to the top. I was amazed at how different they all sounded when compared side by side. I had played a friends Stelling Bellflower a couple of times, and didn't really care for the neck at first, but the more I played it, the better it started to feel. This is truly a lifetime instrument. I don't see ever having to upgrade.

Dueling Banjos: I have a confession to make. I don't like that tune....LOL. I'm sure at some point I'll have to learn it just to shut people up that want to hear it...hahahaha....but, I really have little interest in it. Kinda weird since it's likely the most recognizable banjo tune around. Go figure.

Tim

10. Detectorist

Detectorist

Is that Tiger Maple?

11. MitchellB

MitchellB

Nice banjo and great choice. I'm a big fan of the sound of a maple banjo. I play a Gibson ESGD. You might also want to check out the Banjo Hangout web site; a lot of good folks there and valuable info.

12. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Don't sweat it, it doesn't come up in very many jams. I think I've heard it once in three years :)

Ralph Stanley's stuff, on the other hand, comes up a lot.

13. jhoagland

jhoagland That's right! Lifetime Member

Nice! It is amazing how much difference there is from begginer and pro models of instruments. I started off with "premier" drums and then got a Tama. I had a beater old accustic and then picked up a used Epiphone. Not as nice as a Martin but for a hundred bucks it's awsome.

14. Tim13

Tim13

I agree, the difference in playability is huge. Unfortunately, it's a real catch 22. I didn't want to drop big bucks on a banjo incase I didn't like it, yet I now wish I had this one from the beginning.

The wood is "fancy curly maple" that the neck and resonator (back round cover) is made from. The rim is a Tony Pass Lost Timbre one that Stelling uses on all of their banjos now.

Tim

15. Glenn129

Glenn129

The world needs more banjo players. Never met one that got into trouble with the law because they are always busy trying to learn another run or piece. The 5 string is a great American instrument. I have noticed that banjo players smile a lot while they play. One told me it was because they are so happy they were able to successfully play a particularly difficult section in a piece of music. Keep on picking.

16. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Just remember to not have a belt buckle in a position to give the resonator a rash :supergrin:

17. das9mm26

das9mm26

Always been partial to "Foggy Mountain Breakdown"....used to drive my old boss nuts when I'd bring that out to "calibrate" the radio station's audio gear....:supergrin: Kinda neat to hear it in "Bonnie and Clyde", too.....
    Actually, anything by Lester and Earl is fine by me.....

18. Palouse

Palouse The Resistance Lifetime Member

If I could play any stringed instrument, a banjo would be it. Ran three fingers on my left hand through a band saw in high school, though, and that pretty much ended any guitar/banjo playing ideas I had.

Nice instrument!

19. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

I don't know how much damage you got but Toni Iommi lost two finger tips in a sheet metal factory.

Others:
    Django Reinhardt
    Tom Adams
    Lari White
    Phil Keaggy
    Tony Melendez

Where there's a will, and all that :)