My first pistol

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by CG_60FltMech, Apr 6, 2010.

1. CG_60FltMech

CG_60FltMech

I'm looking at purchasing my first pistol within the next couple months and I would like some recommendations and pros/cons of different guns. I was mainly looking at the G17 and G19 but I'm open to anything. It's going to be for home defense use and fun at the range. I don't need anything big, I'm a small female so grip size and weight are my main concerns. Anything will be of help to me!

2. raven11

raven11

if your not Concealed carrying, nothing beats a good G17 , even better if you can get a Gen4

and a military discount for active duty personnel

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010

3. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

Women's Issues.

You started in a great place. Be sure to look around in the Women's subforum.

G19 is probably going to be recommended more than anything else. It's very popular.

4. bac1023

bac1023

:welcome:

Are you sure you want a pistol?

Have you looked at any revolvers?

5. randyc74

randyc74 Custom Holster Maker

the best advise I can give you is to spend some time at a range that rents a selection of different pistols. Better yet, spend some time with a quality instructor who may also have a selection of pistols for you to check out. Once you stoot a variety of pistols, you will better be able to select one that's right for you. The Glock 17 and 19 are both fine pistols as is the the rest of the Glock line. That being said several manufactors make great pistols that may also fit the bill for you.

Welcome to Glock Talk and best wishes in finding the right pistol for you.

6. Billet

Billet

Glocks are great, but I'd take a hard look at an M&P 9mm Compact as well.

7. chrisw

chrisw

glock 19 was my first glock and what a great gun it is. Also probably the most liked glock ever. There have been several surveys of what people's favorite glock is and the 19 always wins by a longshot. Get the 19 and you won't be disappointed.

8. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

Don't let anyone talk you out of a G29... my woman can hang! :wavey: Bad guys are often big boys...

9. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

G19 and get some formal training. But in reality both are excellent pistols.

Good for you and welcome to GT.

:wavey:

10. joecoastie

joecoastie

Glocks are good guns, but if you are concerned about the grip size I would look at some pistols that have adjustable grips, like the S&W M&P, Beretta Storm, and the FNP, are some I can think of off the top of my head. If you aren't going to be carrying it concealed I would stick with larger pistols, in the same size range as the G17 and G19 that you mentioned. You may also want to consider a revolver since most can have their grips changed out for larger or smaller ones. I also recommend finding a range that rents guns so you can shoot a variety.

AET or AMT?

11. atakawow

atakawow

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  12. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

Good advice. I like my Glock 19 (even better than a 17) and it's a very solid choice. It's been 100% and it's easy to strip. Will it fit you? I don't know. Try it and find out. I dropped several recommended guns off my list after I tried them out.

13. hogship

hogship Patriot Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

The only Glock I've ever had is the G17, and I'm satisfied with it completely. Like you, I don't intend to conceal it, so the G19 really has no purpose that will be better than the G17.

hog

14. chazbme99

chazbme99

I wouldnt recomend buying a 9mm for a first gun, especially if you are a small female.
    I got my girlfriend into shooting recently and she worked her way up before shooting the 9mm.
    22 target revolver, then 380 Bersa Thunder, then S&W 637 38 revolver, then I let her try out my Glock 19.

She liked taking it slow and learning the different types of guns and ammo you can shoot. She just get her carry permit and is still debating about what to buy. So far, she is talking about the Smith & Wesson 38 snub nose revolver. The revolver are very easy to shoot and load.

15. ronin.45

ronin.45

This is what I think also. There is no substitute for trying different guns.
    Welcome!:wavey:

16. drew4691

drew4691

Anything 9mm would be great. The only problems with glocks, as stated before, is they are kind of chunky. I have a G23 (same as G19) only .40 caliber. Its a nice piece, but for concealed carry i like my Kahr PM9. I would recommend renting different guns, going to the gun store and seeing how different guns feel.

Good luck with your search! :wavey:

17. bsg1

bsg1

you might want to check out an older sig sauer P225. you will notice with the older sigs that old world craftsmanship is the order of the day. the P225 (9mm) is notorious for it's wonderful grip characteristics for large hands or small. a supposedly "last batch" of this model was recently manufactured and released for public purchase. i am very happy with my older w german P225; happy with all my older w german P series sigs. if you want new you can also check out the sig P239 which is user friendly to those with small hands and carries with it a good reputation. good luck with your search....

-Brady-

18. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

A .22LR. You need to learn safety and you need practice before moving up.

But if you already have had safety lessons and practice then I would recommend anything that fits you perfectly. Preferably a 9mm to start off with but if you're confident that you can handle a larger caliber then by all means step up to the plate and get ya a .45ACP or something similar.
    Good luck and welcome to GlockTalk! :cool:

19. FLglockdude

FLglockdude

Both of those XDs had a round in the chamber. I hope that LCP didn't because she pointed it at her head at least once.

At least she kept her fingers out of the trigger guard.

20. Bruce M

Bruce M

Contrary to what one of the posters said more than a few women I work with are competent with 9mms as their very first guns. I agree with the thought of trying or renting before you buy. If you are not close to a reasonable range facility you should be able to handle/hold various guns at a well stocked dealer. Maybe someone on this board close to you has a decent collection to try or at least handle. My limited experience suggests that if a gun feels better your hand you are more likely to shoot it better. While a light gun is easier to hold a heavier gun may produce less felt recoil, so less weight does not always work for you.