GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1A44FD3F-BBA7-4787-83A4-FB87CBF62832.jpeg
77364267-2C33-4EAA-A7C7-75F14C029A1B.jpeg
Picked up a used Marlin 1895 SBL for a decent price at a LGS here. I know that marlin had some issues in the past with the SBLs and go figure, the date code showed that it was made in 2012 right in the middle of Marlin’s “dark ages”. Whatever.

I inspected the rifle all over and the only real problem was that the lever took a good push to be locked in. I figured it would be an easy fix and brought it home for about 770 OTD.

Brought it home, opened it up and polished all contacting surfaces. Now the thing is smooth. I’m pretty happy to own a rifle that isn’t an AR for once!

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Ahh, the original assault rifle.

Looks like fun, enjoy that and please post some pics from an outing

Reactions: APERS

·
Registered
11,991 Posts
forgot to mention that this is chambered in 45-70 GOV
Excellent! With the right ammo it can safely handle anything that walks on earth.

And I do like the looks of the blue/grey laminate stock with the stainless barrel and receiver. Handsome. Don

·
Western Pa
4,140 Posts
45-70 = thumper caliber

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It can be, or it can be a *****cat round.

I load a 405 gr bullet over 10 grains of Win231 powder and it shoots nuce and soft, but is still an accurate 50-100 yard plinker.

Edited - Didn't know *****cat would be auto edited out. Should have said Kitty Cat???

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Excellent! With the right ammo it can safely handle anything that walks on earth.

And I do like the looks of the blue/grey laminate stock with the stainless barrel and receiver. Handsome. Don
That’s what made me want it in the first place. I’ve always wanted a lever action but this deal was too good to pass up.

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
View attachment 742492 View attachment 742490 Picked up a used Marlin 1895 SBL for a decent price at a LGS here. I know that marlin had some issues in the past with the SBLs and go figure, the date code showed that it was made in 2012 right in the middle of Marlin’s “dark ages”. Whatever.

I inspected the rifle all over and the only real problem was that the lever took a good push to be locked in. I figured it would be an easy fix and brought it home for about 770 OTD.

Brought it home, opened it up and polished all contacting surfaces. Now the thing is smooth. I’m pretty happy to own a rifle that isn’t an AR for once!
Cool deal!
I would take that over an AR any day!

Reactions: DonD

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Good job buying that! Just curious if you'll leave the scope on it. Or opt for a smaller red dot. Which is what I would do, just a thought. The more I read up on the .45-70, the more I'm learning how versatile a round is it to reload. In for updates on load development for it in the future. Regardless, good score!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good job buying that! Just curious if you'll leave the scope on it. Or opt for a smaller red dot. Which is what I would do, just a thought. The more I read up on the .45-70, the more I'm learning how versatile a round is it to reload. In for updates on load development for it in the future. Regardless, good score!!
I think I’m going to end up doing that. The scope is nice, but since I only plan on using the 1895 for max 200 yards the razor may be overkill.

Reactions: APERS
1 - 20 of 22 Posts