close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My first jerky turned out better than expected!

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by lwt210, Dec 14, 2004.

1. lwt210

lwt210

Dehydrator is the thing to have. My first batch of beef jerky turned out real tasty. Took about six hours to reduce to smokey perfection.

A little steak, soy, worchester sauce, liquid smoke, garlic, minced onion, fresh ground pepper, tomato paste, salt cure, and a splash of bourbon can do wonders.

Took some to work today and it went quick. And these are fellow jerky makers/lovers. Can't wait to try some more variations. Gonna break the food budget with this thing and the smoker pit.

2. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

That looks good ;P

3. Caretaker

Caretaker GO YANKEES!!!

from a fellow beef jerky lover...i commend you on that for i want to try doing it myself sometime soon. how do you dry your jerky? use a dehydrator machine? or do you do it in the oven on a very low heat? just curious and wanting to know your tip? thanks and congrats on a wonderful jerky recipe and i will do so one day making my own after the holidays soon i hope..

4. AAshooter

AAshooter

I make jerky for Christmas every year. I give them to friends as Christmas gifts. Congrats . . . your photo looks like you were successful. We just need smell-a-vision and taste-a-vision to give you a full review.

Caretaker, I have used both methods. I used to hang it from bamboo skewers in the oven and dry it that way. Currently I use a dehydrator. I prefer the dehydrator. I can get more consistent drying and have access to all the pieces so I can pull them as they are done.

I use a commercial jerky spice from a semi-local meat shop. To that I usually add garlic powder, pepper or red pepper flakes to vary the flavor of the jerky. I have found that if you want the red pepper flakes to really take affect, you need to leave them on the meat a while before drying.

The trick I have not quite figured out is the optimum drying point. How dry does it have to be not to mold, etc? Because of that, I probably over-dry mine to make sure it is dry enough. Any hints?

5. lwt210

lwt210

I got the American Harvest/Nesco brand dehydrator on-line (well, actually the wife got it for me for my birthday) the model FD 50 I think. Hang on, I'll go get the book......

FD 50 Snackmaster pro....comes with four trays, a fruit roll up screen, a smaller food screen and the base dehydrator. It is expandable up to twelve trays.

This was 1.7 pounds of thin sliced round steak...very lean and cut on the cross grain. I am cutting it wider next time as it shrunk up a little too narrow for my taste. It filled up all four trays.

The temp setting has different settings for fruits, veggies, flowers, and meat. Sounds like a little fan running.

The exact (or pretty close to it) recipe that I used was this...

4 tablespoons of soy sauce
    4 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon of tomato sauce (I used less paste cause I lacked the other)
    lots of fresh ground pepper with my new pepper mill
    2 cloves of garlic
    1 teaspoon of curing spice combination (came with the kit)

and I added
    some minced onion...probably a teaspoon or two
    a splash of bourbon
    a splash of lemon juice

I marinated the steak in freezer bags for about six hours and then around nine o'clock I put the strips on the trays. Went to bed and got up around three to hit the john. Checked on it and it looked like this so about six hours at 155 degrees.

The consistancy was the best part of it. You bite off some and chew it up and it gets moist as you chew. And I ate the entire contents of the bag this morning while on duty and didn't get heartburn like I thought I would.

But this is strong jerky. You are going to really taste the soy in it. That turned my wife off but the guys loved it.

Here is a pic of the dehydrator.

6. lwt210

lwt210

Oh yeah, and I put some liquid smoke in the marinade also. Just a drop or three though. That stuff is strong.