My first inflight emergency was..

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Skyhook, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Skyhook

Skyhook

I've flown since 1962 so the three emergency landings when placed in that perspective weren't much at all.
    First was a blown jug on a 1956 C-172. It had just come from maintenance (beware the 'shake-down flight'!) and the #3 cylinder swallowed a tinnerman that had somehow gotten left into the intake. We went from full-power departure stall practice (just before the break) to a BANG! and a cowling that was just one big blur.

The second was in my Aeronca 7BCM when fuel contamination (leaf-cutter bees) plugged the fuel line. This one was bad since the high tension wires were unavoidable.

The last was in my 7KCAB Citabria and was caused by a wrist pin plug eating the piston skirt to the point of breaking the oil rings which then went on to totally destroy the oil pump. 6000' over the Adirondack Mountains and the bride in the back seat... That little O-320 Lyc ran on 0 oil press long enough for me to find and set down in a field w/o damages. The bride was unaware of any problem until roll-out. I love Citabrias.

My other two scary freaking trips will wait for another time after I read some of the other guy's cushion-pinchin' experiences.
    PS: I am fond of that #13!

2. BillCola

BillCola Supreme Cmdr ®

I've never had a genuine emergency, just maybe alerts. Probably the biggest deal was having the entire electrical system go TU in a 310, and having to look for a light signal, crank the gear down and land without flaps or positive indication of gear locked down. Few other minor deals like that over the years...

I'll be on the edge of my seat when my 182 comes out of it's first annual under my care, that's for sure.

3. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Carb ice in a C-150. Whoop-de-doo.

4. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Well, not my first emergency but my first emergence that I didn't know I was having an emergency was when a Bell 407 engine blew a hole in the compressor housing.
    I got about a 20-30 degree rise in MGT (measured gas temp., use to be called turbine outlet temp.)but it kept running good.
    I told the mechanics about the little temp rise and they found the hole that night.
    I got a lot more respect for that 407 engine.

[​IMG]

5. 40Cal

40Cal Modurbator

I was working on my instrument rating in a new C172 about 2 years ago and we were shooting approaches into an airport in the middle of the woods at night. Went missed and at about 500' AGL, facing away from the airport with nothing but trees and swamp in front of us and picthing up when the engine sputtered.

Pucker factor immediately went to 10.

We pitched down to get best glide speed and I started looking for somewhere in front of us to land while my instructor tried to get the engine to produce some power. It was still running but not really producing any power.

About the time I had accepted the fact that I was about to become a statistic the engine kinda half-*** came back enough to keep us flying. Since we were already on with Daytona approach I told them of our problem. They started giving us vectors to a few nearby airports and we decided to try to get back to Daytona (about 10 miles) since there were numerous airports along the way that we would be able to reach should the engine decide to take another break.

We had never declared an emergency but the controller said he was going to treat it as an emergency as a precaution. We were cleared to land on any runway. As we came closer to the airport I noticed a lot more lights than usual...they were fire trucks and ambulances lined up on both sides of the runway. As we flew over the numbers they started pulling out behind us and following us down the runway.

That was an interesting night...luckily everything turned out ok. Good experience.

6. Patriot328

Patriot328 B756

Flight attendant called me up on the intercom and said she was pregnant....

Talk about a heart attack in progress...

Ok I digress.. never had a "no-shyt this is for real the end of your world" emergency... had numerous things fail on an airplane requiring diligent action, but you just deal with it as you were trained.

7. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

;P

~1 ~1 ~1

8. Skyhook

Skyhook

M2 Carbine.. what is the source of the apparent roughness on the surface of that blown housing? Very peculariar-looking with its rectangular shape and all...

9. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I don't know what that is.
    It looks like the crack continues about 4 inches from the top of the hole.

The mechanics found this the night I flew it in and I took this picture the next morning on the way to fly a spare 407.
    By the time I landed back in Rockport the engine was out and gone.

I don't think I ever asked them what that rust coloerd marking was.

I'll e-mail the picture to them and find out.

10. BillCola

BillCola Supreme Cmdr ®

Sounds like you done good. What was the problem with the engine???

11. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

Sounds like bad magnetos. ;)

12. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Skyhook, it seems there was some kind of tape on that area at one time. Why I don't know. This is the answer I got today from my mechanic friend.

"Buck that rust is where a piece of tape was. A while back it was discovered that the adhesive created hot spots on the hot surfaces of the engine."

BTW The pilot that was killed last week may have had his engine come apart. The 407 was torn up bad. I don't know why he couldn't do an autorotation.

When the engine was changed going from the Bell 206L to the 206L1 there was a period that the engine power turbine wheel was coming apart like a hand grenade. The first one cut fuel lines, etc and there was fire in the cockpit before the helicopter dove into the water killing the pilot and passenger.

I had a good 206L, that I got new, that was pushing 12,000 hours and I wasn't about to give it up for one of those L1 bombs.;f

As a side note,
    All three pilots that were killed recently had about 15,000 to 20,000 hours. They weren't low time new hires.