close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My first IDPA match

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by BMyers, May 26, 2012.

1. BMyers

BMyers

I shot my fist match today with my Glock 26 Gen 4 and it was fun! This was the second time I had the gun to the range and it did perfect, the guy behind the gun could use lots of improvements.

I did well with targets I shot straight on at, but I never had shot from a truck before which was neat (even though I didn't do the best). I found lots of areas that I need to improve on.

Most of the guys were shooting Glock 17s, one guy was shooting a Glock 34. All the Glocks in our group performed without issues. Two guys shooting 1911 models had jams and one had a clip that broke on him. I was glad that didn't happen to me because it would of been very distracting.

I look forward to the next match and working on improving my skills with my Glock before then.

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  2. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

Thanks for the report! I like these "first time" reports of participants in competitive shooting. Hopefully, some will read of your fun experience and be motivated to jump in and get over the intimidation of starting out. Good job, and thanks for posting it at Glock Talk. :)

Last edited: May 27, 2012

3. 257 roberts

257 roberts

I went to my first IDPA match last weekend!!! I'm gonna be a regular from now on.

4. Radian

Radian

Glad you had fun. IDPA is a great way to get out and enjoy shooting while learning how to work your pistol (and your brain) under a timer.

If you spend time working on your draw, reloads, and transition you will improve you IDPA score and your general proficiency with a handgun.

Good luck!

5. 8th ID

8th ID

Glad to hear you had fun. Keep shooting the matches.

More people need to just go out and try a match. I've been shooting in IDPA for about a year. Our local club just does one match per month. I have improved quite a bit. But there are many shooters there who are well beyond my level. I just don't care--it's way too much fun:cool:. And our club has some very friendly/helpful shooters.

6. Aquagear

Aquagear

Welcome to IDPA, as was mentioned above it is great way to practice and get familiar with your gun.:wavey:

7. ronin.45

ronin.45

Glad you had fun!

Competing is the best way to improve your shooting and weapons handling.

8. bac1023

bac1023

Very cool indeed :cool:

9. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I've shot it with my G26, and with my 642 snubby.

The G17 gives me a big sight radius advantage over those smaller carry guns. Nothing wrong at all with shooting carry guns, but you just won't do as well as you could with a service size gun.

IDPA is a game oriented toward larger unconcealed guns (conealment vests aside). Guys I know pack up their IDPA gun after the match and go home wearing a PM9 :rofl:

10. WarEagle32

WarEagle32

IDPA is great. Give GSSF a try if u already haven't

11. FFR Spyder GT

FFR Spyder GT Ex-Gunslinger

The very first stage of your first IDPA match will kinda sorta tell you how you would do during your first real shoot out, if you live.

Shows your weaknesses too.

12. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

acn anybody explain how this works? Like what do you do at one of these? i looked at the site and it's got qualifiers and string one and cannot reshoot a string... WTH?

13. MikeG36

MikeG36

Sounds like a great time!

14. ted1

ted1

I wish I could find a place that has a match on the nights that I am off. Every place I have found shoot on the nights that I work and they started too late. I live in houston texas if anyone knows of some place that I can check let me know.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

15. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

:agree:

:50cal:

16. TACLOAD

TACLOAD

Good times at IDPA matches. Man I miss that!

17. BMyers

BMyers

My first stage scores were

26.92 time

0-raw points

0-procedural

0-hit on none threat

0-failure to neutralize

26.92-total time

Compared to most of the guys they were scoring high teens and low twenties, but since I got all down zeros, it helped me that round stay right with the pack. I wish I could say I kept that perfect down zero shooting going through the rest of the match, but no such luck. Working on my aiming and not my speed will help improve my overall score dramatically!

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  18. BMyers

BMyers

If you search IDPA on YouTube, there are several good videos that show you different stages and what they are like. There are also videos that explain what IDPA is. I think it is the PowerFactor Show that goes through step-by-step on your first IDPA match.

19. USCgrad

USCgrad

practice with what you carry!! i see guys who use different holsters and guns and fumble because its not what they carry on a regular basis..i like IDPA and was intimidated my first couple of matches, especially seeing race guns and 3000.00 1911's but i have found, glocks do really well and dont have nearly the problems some of the higher end models do...though im not in the top 3 spots, i consistently do well because i use my carry/practice gun..good luck

20. smitty704

smitty704

I need to go to a match as well. I am been interested for a long time but haven't even gone out and at least watched a match to see what I think. You have motivated me to get of my arse and find a local match.

Have a good one sir!