close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My first idpa event...

Discussion in 'General Competition' started by November Sunrise, Apr 5, 2010.

1. November Sunrise

November Sunrise

I thoroughly enjoyed my first IDPA this last Saturday. I have been shooting a lot at home on my makeshift range with confidence but didn't expect the nerves to get me the way they did on Saturday morning. To say it was humbling would be an understatement. I think i shot OK for a first timer but quite frankly , i don't remember seeing my front sight even once! It was totally instinctive because i had and incredible adrenaline rush at the buzzer on each stage. I AM HOOKED!!! I actually outscored many sharp shooters and 2 expert level competitors with my same weapon classification (SSP).:wow:
    Now i just need to shoot a classifying round to see where I really stand and which group I compete with.
    What an awesome event.:supergrin:

2. Wash-ar15

Wash-ar15

The first time ya do it,its usually a humbling experience. Most shooters think they are a good shot when they can shoot the bull out on a static target. Throw in a timer and some moving and it a lot different.

3. DustyDawg48

DustyDawg48

That is great to hear that you enjoyed yourself. I was the same way when I shot mine; nervous but very much hooked! I joined as soon as I got home from that first match. Not only is it a great way to see how you really shoot under stress, it also shines a light, sometimes a very harsh light, on the areas that need work. Then, you take that and can really streamline your range work and it gives you something to work on specifically while you are there. I do mag change practice at home over the bed, practice the draw from concealment, too. I also practice the heel-toe move (when nobody is looking of course) while walking through the house. I classified in SSP and missed the next highest class by .7 seconds. I wasn't too concerned since I was shooting a very unfamiliar gun, but I was having a good time nonetheless!

4. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

+1 to the comments here so far, all solid and (no pun intended) on target.

Stay with it, bro. I've been shooting IDPA since almost the time it started (and some other disciplines longer than that) and no matter how long you do it, it keeps giving you needed self-checks and wakeup calls on what you need to work on.

Good luck in your future IDPA shooting!

5. bisdak

bisdak

Way to go! Sounds like you've got the bug. Enjoy and good luck!

6. Jon_R

Jon_R

Great results. I have been shooting IDPA for a couple years and am a SS in SSP. I gave up 50 seconds to the worst scoring Expert in our match.

I was also shooting a G19 out of a M-Tac drawing my mags from my cargo shorts pocket. :) I was only 17 points down for the match 8 stages.

Pick up a rifle and shotgun and give 3-Gun a try.

7. November Sunrise

November Sunrise

I also noticed that i suffered from tunnel vision during each stage. I was OK until i stood on the line. As the S.O. asked questions regarding my readiness, my peripheral vision disappeared. It was almost like looking through a small pipe the whole time. As soon as the last round left the gun my normal vision returned. What a rush...:embarassed: Does this improve with time?

8. DustyDawg48

DustyDawg48

I believe so, with time and practice that goes away. You'll also find yourself being able to see the course better and pre-plan your moves through it; how to engage, when to do a strategic reload etc... it's like golf where you can always shave a bit off of your score!

9. Troubleshooter

Troubleshooter

What club did you shoot?

There is a match at South Kent Sportsmans club in Dorr this weekend if you can't wait a month to shoot again.

http://www.tacticalblasters.com/

10. November Sunrise

November Sunrise

I was at the Brooklyn Sportsman Club. I think they said it was their first IDPA meet on their new range. Have a look at their web page. There is an arial of the new range. They have a very nice set-up. There were about 60 of us there shooting. I talked to people from 3 different states. http://www.bsc-idpa.org/
    I read about the event at KSC but wont be able to attend this one. I do however intend to make their next one on May 8. I live south of the Battle Creek area and these 2 clubs are about the same drive for me.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  11. Troubleshooter

Troubleshooter

Send me a pm if you are going make it in May,

I'll meet up with you and you can join my squad if you like.