Home > The Main Room > The Okie Corral > My first hummingbird photo this year.

My first hummingbird photo this year.

1. Taking photos of hummingbirds has been my thing for the past several summers. My technique has slowly changed and improved each year. This photo in not Photo shopped trickery. This a moment in time stopped.

I'll be taking more as summer progresses. 1st_hummer20.jpg

2. For a fellow who flips the writhing bodies of mortally wounded raccoons into ditches with a shovel, you seem to be pretty in tune with nature.

Absolutely beautiful photo!

3. Absolutely a great pic

4. Wow, that's nice! Crystal clear shot...amazing.

5. A 10mm would fix that.

6. Nice shot.

7. Beautiful picture my friend

8. Polish_20200607_211146397.jpg

9. Great pic. Those little things are amazing.

10. Nice! My wife loves those little nectar vultures.

11. Tech specs? [Focal Length, aperture, shutter speed,etc]

12. Na, a 10mm is too wide angle, probably at least a 200mm.

13. Haven't seen but one this year, a small female ruby throat.

Now is prime time, we should be seeing lots more. Maybe all the other noisy bird activity is keeping them away, we have ******* grackles that occasionally kill a sparrow. I miss the little buggers. We got a bunch of Orioles but they're not as cool.

Amazing picture. I'm thinking you know more than my 2 things about photography.

Point and shoot.

14. Really incredible shot, Dave!

15. And you wouldn't even need to lead it for the shot.

16. Great picture, thanks for sharing and your time.

17. Great pic Dave, they are an amazing little creature and I don't think anyone on earth can see one and not smile a little bit.

18. Nice picture shot .

I see them a lot here and I don’t even have flowers or a feeder . I was out on a wide body of water fishing one day and I had one land on my fishing rod . He rested several seconds and few off .

19. :hearts:

20. Too complex to explain here. But to answer: 300mm f/2.8 lens set at f/16, 1/200 Seconds, ISO=200, 7 radio remote flashes used at the same time.

21. :laughabove:
    You figured it out! That's how I do it. I just fire my 10mm as a near miss. The shock wave kills them. I then suspend the bodies with thin fishing line to take the photo.:devildance:

Joking :dancing:

22. +1

23. I typically just breast them out and don't bother with the rest as it's just too much work

24. How did you get him to stand still for you?

25. High tech, high speed flash photography.

26. Beautiful Photo

27. The tongues are tasty, but it takes a lot to make a sandwich.

28. Nice photo work. tom. :thumbsup:

29. Very nice shot.

30. Wow....great photo Dave

We have a couple feeders out haven't seen any so far. Normally we see quite a few in our feeders over the summer.

31. I just put the dial on top to 'Auto'...that's about the extent of my expertise in photography...

32. [​IMG]

33. Seriously, that's a very good way 99.9% of the time. Let the camera's algorithms decide the exposure. You just worry about composition, camera suck at composition.

34. Canon or Nikon?

I was thinking your settings were BS until I saw the flashes.

I've taken a few pics of hummingbird and usually get poor results unless they land.

35. Sooooo, you didn’t take this with an Iphone?

Great picture, Dave.

36. Great shot Dave. I get a few in the summer and rely on a feeder to attract them. I sat for about 20 minutes with my finger on the shutter release waiting for this little guy to show up.

flying crop.jpg

37. Sony

38. Good start, next get the camera to focus on the hummingbird.

39. Ohhh, ouch,,, snap,,, drop the mike.... LOL :laughing:

40. Don't you just hate when you trying to take a photo of some apple blossoms, using your laptop computers camera, then those pesky hummingbirds come along, fly into the computer screen and get stuck in the screen!
    Mouse on the screen to view full size:
    screensizedhummer.jpg

41. .

42. Nice pix, Dave!

I have a flowering tree in my backyard that occasionally attracts hummingbirds, and one year, I sat on the deck with the birds in full view around the tree (some in sunshine), and tried to get a few decent photos (handheld). I literally took 300+ snaps in a two-day period, mostly of birds in flight. About 10 pics turned out decent, and 2-3 of the flight shots were nice enough to perhaps be worth printing. Fast little buggers, hard to focus on, and even harder to stop their motion w/sunlight.

43. Wow! Congrats on a great shot.

44. Great photo! Thanks for sharing!

45. I'm not at all surprised by your yield. It's a hard thing to do. I'd suggest you use a tripod supporting a camera aimed at a place you expect them to come to. Some other things you are going to need include radio remote to fire trigger the shutter, and a fast focusing camera/lens combinations. If you want to knock it up a notch you are going to need some good radio controlled flashes near the birds. I use seven flashes firing at the same time!

I developed my technique over about seven years of trial and error. I have been invited by various camera clubs to teach how I do this. I have also given classes in my home where others have have used my set up to take photos themselves. It requires the patience of Job and cat like reflexes. I also get a poor yield and miss many more shots than I take.

Keep trying and good luck.

46. Hey I just caught this little guy that is a rare sight here in Las Vegas he is black w/white stripes. I took this pic with my cell phone LG Q7+ 13 MP approximately 6' above my head
    20190805_105024.jpg

47. Great pic, Dave. Keep them coming.