My first hummingbird photo this year.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by davethehiker, Jun 7, 2020.

1. davethehiker

davethehiker

Don't you just hate when you trying to take a photo of some apple blossoms, using your laptop computers camera, then those pesky hummingbirds come along, fly into the computer screen and get stuck in the screen!
    Mouse on the screen to view full size:
    screensizedhummer.jpg

2. Jed Cooper

Jed Cooper

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020

3. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

Nice pix, Dave!

I have a flowering tree in my backyard that occasionally attracts hummingbirds, and one year, I sat on the deck with the birds in full view around the tree (some in sunshine), and tried to get a few decent photos (handheld). I literally took 300+ snaps in a two-day period, mostly of birds in flight. About 10 pics turned out decent, and 2-3 of the flight shots were nice enough to perhaps be worth printing. Fast little buggers, hard to focus on, and even harder to stop their motion w/sunlight.

4. stuckon9mm

stuckon9mm

Wow! Congrats on a great shot.

5. PRKJayhawk

PRKJayhawk

Great photo! Thanks for sharing!

6. davethehiker

davethehiker

I'm not at all surprised by your yield. It's a hard thing to do. I'd suggest you use a tripod supporting a camera aimed at a place you expect them to come to. Some other things you are going to need include radio remote to fire trigger the shutter, and a fast focusing camera/lens combinations. If you want to knock it up a notch you are going to need some good radio controlled flashes near the birds. I use seven flashes firing at the same time!

I developed my technique over about seven years of trial and error. I have been invited by various camera clubs to teach how I do this. I have also given classes in my home where others have have used my set up to take photos themselves. It requires the patience of Job and cat like reflexes. I also get a poor yield and miss many more shots than I take.

Keep trying and good luck.

7. Mahalo_.357sig

Mahalo_.357sig #787 Top Gun .357sig

Hey I just caught this little guy that is a rare sight here in Las Vegas he is black w/white stripes. I took this pic with my cell phone LG Q7+ 13 MP approximately 6' above my head
    20190805_105024.jpg

DJ Niner likes this.
  8. BillKilgore

BillKilgore

Great pic, Dave. Keep them coming.

Doc Holliday and davethehiker like this.